Plug & Play USB DAC/AMPs not being picked up by PC (Dragonfly Red/FiiO K1)
Dec 9, 2017 at 12:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6
Hi guys,

I''m a proud owner of a Dragonfly Red that was a hand me down from a fellow member. It's been working wonderfully for the past 3 months and out of the blue yesterday it stopped working only on my PC. I was wondering if you guys have any experience with this issue and could help me diagnose what's wrong. I've already reset by PC back to square one and am confused as to why that didn't fix it.

The problem is,the Dragonfly clearly picks up power and turns bright red, which is a color I have never seen before. It's usually a light pink, green, blue, or orange depending on the file I am playing. I'm aware this is my PC's problem as I also have a FiiO K1 (also plug and play USB DAC) that shows up as being powered by my PC but doesn't show up in device manager or automatically switch over like it should to playback from the DAC..

My PC (Windows 10) sticks to the realtek audio that's standard. The Dragonfly works great with my phone through OTG connection but the computer does not want to pick it up at all except for the acknowledgment that it is receiving power.

Please let me know what you think I should try out to fix this or if you have the said issue before!

Thanks.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #2 of 6
Go into the BIOS, make sure all the different USB settings are enabled.
Then see about reinstalling the USB drivers.

Dec 10, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #4 of 6
Any ideas on why it's like that? I'll try the BIOS and USB ideas

Dec 11, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #5 of 6
Slight bump.

Audioquest got back to me and said "We have been encountering this issue with USB external DAC’s on Windows 10. It seems there may be a bug in the recent USB Audio drivers provided by Microsoft for Windows 10. As you have noted it is affecting other manufacturers USB DAC’s as well"

Is there anyone else that is having the same issue as me? Please chime in if you can! This is still royally pissing me off.

Nov 9, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #6 of 6
a few years later.... i have the same problem with windows 10 and my cobalt. i cant even update the dragonfly as it gets not recognized in the AQ devive manager app. on my android smartphone it works great. but on my windows, i simply cannot use it. and even when tidal recognizes the device, the sound comes out very broken.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back