Pls post your HD580/600 EQs settings here
Mar 28, 2006 at 7:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Xakepa

500+ Head-Fier
Here are mine (Foobar EQ)

0 -1 -2 -2 -1 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 2 6 4 2 4 5

It's half-compensated from the freq response curve posted at Headroom. A bit brightish comparing to non-EQ, but pleasing otherwise.

Mar 29, 2006 at 12:07 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by sxr71
Type "HRTF" into Google. Read. Understand.

EDIT: Okay I'll make it easier for you: http://www.headwize.com/articles/judging_art.htm

The article you refer to does not show that EQ degrades SQ, only bashes EQ as being "unnatural", quoting some magazine articles (lame). The only argument that paper emphisizes is the non-liner response of the ear, and the graphs are questionable at best (they are based on what - author's brains/hearing, statistics, A/B...)

I'd rater see how EQ processing induces noise and distortion...it does I guess.

Mar 29, 2006 at 12:11 AM Post #6 of 15
I'm not a big fan of using EQ. I prefer to tailor the sound using different equipment, upgrades, etc.

And of course, with tubes, thats a whole different story.

Mar 29, 2006 at 12:45 AM Post #7 of 15
I'd rather try to EQ the '600 towards the HD650's response in the treble. I fear a half-octave EQ won't quite cut it for this purpose though, something 1/3-octave or parametric would work best (the Shibatch Super EQ plugin for Winamp, which the Foobar2k thing appears to be based upon, still provides the possibility to do parametric EQ, even though the Q setting appears to be inaccessible from the UI).

BTW, the measurements at Headroom are carried out using a dummy head, leaving only the variations in individual HRTF (which can be large enough themselves).

It be noted that 580/600s aren't the most EQ-needy cans to begin with, so one might also want to save the computing time.

Mar 29, 2006 at 12:54 AM Post #8 of 15
Nope, no EQ here! Nothing like the wonderful world of tube rolling!!
tongue.gif

Mar 29, 2006 at 1:27 AM Post #9 of 15
Buy more different headphones or amps instead using eq.

Mar 29, 2006 at 2:08 AM Post #11 of 15
Although im fairly new to headphones and all the jazz, ive always loved good music. I always turn EQ on as well. Personally I dont really care if the music is considered unnatural or not. It sounds signifcantly better in my opinion, so why not do it?

They use equaliziers in all aspects of the sound industry, from making movies to making music to live sound concerts.

Mar 29, 2006 at 3:25 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by sithspawn
Although im fairly new to headphones and all the jazz, ive always loved good music. I always turn EQ on as well. Personally I dont really care if the music is considered unnatural or not. It sounds signifcantly better in my opinion, so why not do it?

I guess the big point of the audiophile hobby is to get truthful (not merely euphonic or pleasant) reproduction of music - people prefer to have the least interference in the signal path to get the cleanest path from the source. Introducing changes in the frequency curve would seem to be counter-productive to that goal. I'd much rather get headphones/amps that can reproduce the source accurately without any help.

Mar 29, 2006 at 3:38 AM Post #13 of 15
The general question is whether it is really possible to nail reproducing the source totally accurately. Sometimes there might only be slight problems; like if you think the DT880 is amazing except for the treble spike. Then you can just cut that band and the end result may be found to be more 'neutral' than other cans (depending on taste, of course, since when people say 'neutral' they seem to mean 'preferred by me').

Mar 29, 2006 at 4:17 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by sithspawn
They use equaliziers in all aspects of the sound industry, from making movies to making music to live sound concerts.

Most of the time, professional EQing is done to remove what isn't wanted, not to try and add what isn't there.

Mar 29, 2006 at 4:23 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander
Never use any EQ.

Seriously. Why would you buy nice headphones just to jack up the sound. I thought people bought the 600 because it was 'flat'? Though I guess you could use one to try to bring up the drops in response, and tame the peaks...but I doubt that is what this thread is about.

"Dude I want bass, jack up 60Hz bra!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back