Pls help...!
Dec 16, 2007 at 8:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

tigerkai

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,i have a imod 5.5g with SF5pro n RSA Hornet honesty love the sound of the rigg now looking for a tube amp to go with RS2 or RS1.pls recommend a tube amp for me thks.i enjoy lot of vocal,jazz n rock music.btw i love warm n lot of staging sound.thks

Dec 16, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #2 of 10
What is your budget? There are many options depending upon how much money you are willing to spend.

Dec 16, 2007 at 9:34 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is your budget? There are many options depending upon how much money you are willing to spend.

about us$1000,thks

Dec 16, 2007 at 9:41 PM Post #4 of 10
There are some good choices in the range. I might look into some of the used equipment that gets posted here and save some money and buy into something that with some research, should net you a great amp. A SinglePower offers many tube rolling options and great drive capabilities. I don't see many RSA amps coming up for sale but there is always movement.

Dec 16, 2007 at 11:34 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are some good choices in the range. I might look into some of the used equipment that gets posted here and save some money and buy into something that with some research, should net you a great amp. A SinglePower offers many tube rolling options and great drive capabilities. I don't see many RSA amps coming up for sale but there is always movement.

thinking of getting the Yamamoto HA-02 to pair with RS2 or RS1 with my imod n ALO iMod Auricap Fidelity Dock with Short Silk RCA.any suggestion?

Dec 24, 2007 at 6:15 PM Post #7 of 10
I'd change the title of your thread so that members with RS1s and tube amps can see it and respond. I think you'll get a better response.

Sorry, I don't have RS1s, so can't help.

Dec 24, 2007 at 7:04 PM Post #8 of 10
I had following tube amps in the past with various Grado / Alessandro high end headphones: (order of preference)

1. Yamamoto HA-02 amp (having heard slwiser's system..it's a great amp with very precise sound)
2. MicroZOTL with NOS tubes (dead neutral with little coloration but almost impossible to get one now)
3. used Singlepower MPX 6SN7 with slam adapters (give you great flexibility in NOS tubes and fun factor with classic tube sound)
4. Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD (good PRat)
5. X-Can V2 Hybrid with Russian tubes (cheap but very good synergy with just about any headphones)

You can also consider getting the legendary "soul mate" to Grado cans...the Melos. There are ton of amp reviews for Grado headphones...you might want to do some search on this forum.

Good luck....

Dec 24, 2007 at 7:40 PM Post #9 of 10
I use a couple of tube amps with my Grados. One is a Singlepower PPX3. It sounds pretty good, especially when I changed the tubes from 6CG7 to 6GU7 - a little brighter and more control. They sound great.

The other is the Dickman DIY amp published in Vacuum Tube Valley, issue number 16 (I think). It's copyrighted, so I can't post it here, but VTV will send you back issues. It has output transformers that provide a good match for Grados. I think it sounds terrific. About $200-$250 in materials. If you're interested in building, it's not that bad, or you can hire someone to build it for you.

Dec 26, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #10 of 10
One thing I would like to add about the Yammy if you are sourcing it with an iPod: I found it very grainy. The transperency of my Yammy/AD2k is pretty impressive. It was like you could here the gaps in the music. I did use a good interconnect but not a fancy vcap dock, nor a imod nor FLAC files so your results may vary. Just something to keep in mind. I'm very happy with my yammy though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back