Pls give me some suggestions on how to choose DAC with my Sennheiser HD600 and Lehmannaudio BCL. Schitt Gungnir Maybe?
May 15, 2013 at 12:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

bradyyang123

New Head-Fier
Hi, 
I am new to headfi and through a couple threads about DACs.
Now I am trying to find a DAC to pair with my Sennheiser HD600 and Lehmannaudio BCL.
Get really confused by different terms, models. 
I will mainly connect it to my laptop (HP with beat audio)for a while. CD is my next step after the DAC. Classical and vocal are my type of the music.
So far, saw some good reviews about the Schiit, Bifrost and Gungnir. 
Could anyone give me some suggestions on that? 
Thank you so much. 

May 17, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #3 of 6
Brother, you have to dive in cause all else is subjective. Before you do buy though, sorry for your wallet. This place is a candy store and once you taste better sound, it's all over but the crying.

You should state a budget so you aren't getting recommendations for $2k DACs (unless that's of interest).

May 17, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
Brother, you have to dive in cause all else is subjective. Before you do buy though, sorry for your wallet. This place is a candy store and once you taste better sound, it's all over but the crying.

You should state a budget so you aren't getting recommendations for $2k DACs (unless that's of interest).

Thx, bro. My budget is around 800 to 900 USD. 

May 17, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #6 of 6
Just to assist you in your research, you can type in a $ amount in the source sell forum search function and see what comes up. New price re-sells take about a 25-30% hit (unless a real popular item) so look for that much higher price range if you would buy used. By experience, our members are pretty good about taking care of their gear and several like the hunt more than the ownership so you can get pretty good buys. Anyway, look at what comes up in your price range and then you can search that unit in the dedicated source forums and other sites as well.

I know this isn't giving you recommendations but I don't have experience in this price of DACs. But once people start dropping names, many are only commenting based on what they've read and not hands on experience. If you are patient and can visit some meets to actually listen to some of the gear, your purchase will be much more satisfying. Or you can spend a lot and cycle gear until you find your pleasure. I'm cheap so I'd rather buy once and do my work first.

One I've been looking at for reviews isn't a well known item but something I've not heard is https://sites.google.com/site/jkciunas/ciunas-dac

Users who are viewing this thread

Back