Please, surprise me.
Jun 10, 2004 at 7:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

bangraman

Headphoneus Supremus
My drip-feed supply of free CD's is nice, but to be honest a lot of it I just don't want to listen to as it's of very variable quality. I usually love discovering artists by wading through the occasional (actually, frequent) dud but these days I must be suffering from 'evaluation fatigue'.

I go to a CD shop and frequently I just lose the will to live and wander around the shop in a zombie-like state, just picking things by cover art, or just take the easy way out and buy the 'recommended' titles. I've got plenty of great music that way I have to admit, but I would like to discover without so much effort.

Recommend me a surefire 'whoa' CD that's not in the 'recommended' lists of major record stores. I'm not in this case looking for a classical recommendation... that's an area I know inside out. I think I'm Norah'd out so no sultry or ballsy females please.

I listen to anything, but I suppose if you had to hammer down a preferred broad genre, it'll be electronica, industrial, rock and good rap. I would like to get it on a shopping trip up in town so a widely available title would be a bonus.

Thanks from a lazy SOB
biggrin.gif

Jun 10, 2004 at 8:18 PM Post #7 of 44
Animal Collective - Sung Tongs

This is really a fun CD with so many likeable magic pop moments scattered throughout. Kind of like Stephin Merritt's sprawling magnum opus 69 Love Songs in that respect. Except in this case only one disc of goodness. At first it seemed a bit on the strange side, odd songs stitched together and punctuated with wonderfully inventive melodies and sounds. Lots of sounds. Fragile vocal harmonies. Nylon string guitars. Lots of acoustic guitars. Bubbling noises in the background reminiscent of Sparklehorse. Beatles psychedelia that brings to mind the playful inventiveness of Olivia Tremor Control and some of the other Elephant 6 collective. Sounds kind of goofy, I know. And I guess it is. But it's also kind of addictive. One of the most critically acclaimed albums of the year right now according to MetaCritic , I imagine in no small part because of the inventiveness and weirdness. I bought it at the local indie shop but not likely to find it at a mall shop or department store. Takes a little getting used to but after that you just can't stop listening to it. Almost like the Beach Boys meet Mouse on Mars. On second thought............
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 10, 2004 at 10:14 PM Post #8 of 44
Jun 10, 2004 at 10:50 PM Post #9 of 44
I love a danish band called larsen and furious jane
Morgningside records genrally got a lot of exciting bands. There's some mp3 you can download.
Other good artist are Swan Lee and Claus Hempler. Both on gogo records
It's all kindda easy rock with good vocals. L&FJ is kindda country rock. Good stuff.

Also check out CD Baby if you haven't already. They got pleanty of indie music.

For mainstream music cd-wow is a good, and cheap place to get stuff. Only carry very mainstream though.

Jun 10, 2004 at 11:33 PM Post #10 of 44
I second CD Baby... great stuff there... daughter darling's album went through them first

as for suggestions... check out old time relijun... crazy horns and a wailing vocalist... really nice... I have their album witchcraft rebellion and love it...

also, I've suggested this before, but check out boi kutt... his album is only available online at http://www.boikutt.cjb.net/ and is well worth a listen
biggrin.gif

Jun 10, 2004 at 11:43 PM Post #11 of 44
Listen to

Dios - Self-Titled

Great Indie Rock/Pop with Beatle/Beach Boys influence and a bit of experimentation. Currently creating quite a stir. Just a great fun album of rock pop songs with enough experimenting to make it interesting.

Jun 10, 2004 at 11:49 PM Post #12 of 44
Rap? Check out MC Frontalot. You can grab all his stuff online at his site (frontalot.com).

As for something out there that'll knock your socks off, check out the album "Wings Of Joy" by a band called Cranes. I first heard them back in '92 or '93. They've been kicking my ass ever since.

Jun 11, 2004 at 2:30 AM Post #13 of 44
Motorpsycho - "Serpentine [EP]"

Norwegian band, don't know how they are in Europe but hardly known in Japan, yet I could buy a couple of CD's and love them. (Amazon couldn't find me older CD's, though.)

Jun 11, 2004 at 2:50 AM Post #14 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by strike
As for something out there that'll knock your socks off, check out the album "Wings Of Joy" by a band called Cranes. I first heard them back in '92 or '93. They've been kicking my ass ever since.

WOW! Cranes, it's been a very long time since i've seen anyone mention them. their music is very haunting and dream-like with blasts of guitar noise and distortion, as well as Alison Shaw's dreamy, almost childlike vocals. "Wings of Joy" is an excellent album, but i think a bit too low key for a first Cranes purchase. i always thought "Loved" was their strongest album, if not the most accessible anyway.

Other Showgaze/Dream-pop essentials:
"Nowhere" by Ride, Shoegaze's finest album (yes, even better than My Bloody Valentine's "Loveless"). be sure to pick up the remastered version as it adds the excellent "Today Forever" EP.
"Souvlaki" by Slowdive. a great and underrated shoegaze band, they would make an excellent companion to any Cranes album.

as for electronica, why not try one of the pioneering electronic albums, like "Trans Europe Express" by Kraftwerk. a remastered version was just released in the UK, i havn't heard it yet as it's not available in the States yet, but i would imagine the sound quality would be eons better compared to the CD i have at home. TEE is a electronic masterpiece, can't beat a classic.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back