Please, suggest some USB amp/dac for my new Grado sr225i
Jul 7, 2012 at 4:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

smok2d

New Head-Fier
Hi everybody,

I just bought a new Grado sr225i headphones. They sound great, very detailed, but I believe that they can do much better if I connect them to something better than my laptop's sound card.)) Also, my laptop's sound card just died recently and I think that the best solution is to buy a usb sound card/amp/dac. I have found a few things and would really appreciate if someone can suggest me which one will be better for Grado or maybe suggest something else. Also, I would like the amp to have a 1/4 (6.3 mm) headphone outlet so I can plug the Grados without the adaptor. Here are my choices:
1.AUDIOTRAK Prodigy CUBE External USB Sound Card
2.HA INFO U2 Plus AD1852 Mini USB DAC + Headphone Amp + USB Converter 1pc
3.E-MU 0204 USB 2.0 - USB Audio Interface

Thank you

P.S. I don't have much money so I'm looking for something under 100$))))

Jul 7, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #2 of 4
FiiO E7 at around $70 used is very nice if you don't mind "colored" sound. It will make your bass more prominent and soften the highs a little, which could be beneficial for Grado. It is otherwise very clean and good sounding.

If you don't want colored sound, and don't mind buying from China/HK on eBay, search for "PCM 2704 USB" on eBay. The 2704 is a very clean and neutral chip and is automatically recognized on all modern operating systems as a sound device. There are multiple pre-built ones in metal cases for $20 or so. I have one and use it 100% of the time when I want to listen to music on my laptop, the difference between the built in laptop DAC and this USB DAC is night-and-day.

Edit: neither has a 6.3mm plug, but adapters are incredibly cheap, and it can always be reterminated. I've reterminated at least a dozen of my own headphones including Grado.

Jul 9, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #4 of 4
I'm not familiar with any of your initial options but also think the e7 is worth looking into. though I'd try to stretch it and go for the e17 myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back