Please recommend portable amp. What would you get?
Sep 8, 2002 at 4:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

beowulf

Headphoneus Supremus
I am finally getting tired of using my gear with portable CD players and cdroms/soundcards that aren't really supplying the best output.

I use mostly low impedance headphones and in most cases I don't notice any lack of amplification power, even with cheap portables.
What annoys me the most is that noise you get when there is no sound. I'm not sure of how to call it, but it is some sort of amplification whitenoise.

With classical for instance, everytime there is a quiet part I don't get that absolutely-black-flat-silence I get with my NAD C340 amp...there is always a slight background hiss.

Will a good portable amp solve that problem? What I'm looking for is ZERO (or as close as possible) whitenoise. If the music stops completely, I want a black, flat output, no matter how loud the volume knob is (If the recording allows it of course).

That said, I'm looking for suggestions for portable amps.

Details I would like:
-It must be able to run on batteries. Not proprietary, but common batteries.
-Possibility to use external power and not just batteries would be great if it is a good amp (might want to use it temporarily as a fixed gear)
-Reliability. Good MTBF if you want to call it, whatever, just a model that doesn't die often.

As for my musical preferences, I listen mostly to classical and opera, but also to rock and metal.
I never (or almost) listen to dance music, techno, hip-hop, etc.

As for headphones... I currently plan to use the amp with:
-Sennheiser MX 500
-Sennheiser HD 590
-Sony MDR-CD 3000
-Sony E888

Maybe I'll get the HD600 in the future.. then again, maybe not.

I haven't decided on the price range yet... but something below $200 would be best. Also would prefer to be able to buy it in Europe.

Thanks
-

Sep 8, 2002 at 6:32 PM Post #2 of 3
Beowolf,
I really think you shoulc contact Mr. Tangent and give META42 a try. I used to have TAH, AH, Cmoy, and Creek OBH-11, but the META42 totally destroy them. My Meta has AD845 chip.
I have Sony CD-1700, Senn HD-580, Grado SR-225, and sony mdr-e888--- all of them show significant improvement with the Meta42.

Purk

Sep 9, 2002 at 12:34 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Also would prefer to be able to buy it in Europe.

The new version of the Porta Corda looks promising. Not sure when it will be available. If you can't wait, look at the current version.

Contact Jan Meier for more details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back