Please recommend me a speaker
post-15468924
Post #1 of 10

gr1980

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
I have a Fiio M11 and would like to get a speaker to play the music from the M11 to. I have never had such a speaker before so I hope this doesn't sound too silly.

My only must haves are:

Needs to have an aux in so I physically plug the M11 into it - I like to have the option of using a cable or Bluetooth (I assume most of these modern speakers have Bluetooth).
£600 maximum.
I don't want to have to use an external amp - I just want to go M11 > speaker.

That is it! Any advice is really appreciated.

post-15468941
Post #2 of 10

Sonic Defender

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Just make sure that the speakers have an option to output to a sub-woofer. Small speakers produce very rolled off bass so the sub-woofer is required. The bigger the cabinet, and the larger the driver, generally speaking, the louder the speakers can play and the deeper the bass. I have owned a few sets of active speakers and when integrating a sub-woofer the results are so much better. Many desktop active speakers come with subs now, plus, they often include Bluetooth so the M11 can transmit wirelessly to the active speakers. No reason not to go Bluetooth as it is a great connectivity option. Kanto speakers are nice, I had an entire set back when I was using active desktop speakers.

post-15468943
Post #3 of 10

gr1980

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
Just make sure that the speakers have an option to output to a sub-woofer. Small speakers produce very rolled off bass so the sub-woofer is required. The bigger the cabinet, and the larger the driver, generally speaking, the louder the speakers can play and the deeper the bass. I have owned a few sets of active speakers and when integrating a sub-woofer the results are so much better. Many desktop active speakers come with subs now, plus, they often include Bluetooth so the M11 can transmit wirelessly to the active speakers. No reason not to go Bluetooth as it is a great connectivity option. Kanto speakers are nice, I had an entire set back when I was using active desktop speakers.
I'm assuming active speakers don't need any sort of an external amp to help the M11 drive them?

I'm looking very quickly at Kanto speakers on Amazon and I see they have an aux in - I'm assuming I would run a 3.5mm cable from my headphones out into the aux in?

They look to be a perfect size for me.

post-15468954
Post #4 of 10

bzippy

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
I have had a Marshall Kilburn in my kitchen for years now. And being portable (battery powered) I also take it everywhere (garage, park, deck parties). Decent low end for a portable. And T & B controls, which I love, especially since the mids are a bit recessed for my taste so I tend to roll back both the T & B and raise the volume to compensate. For what it is, I really like it. I went through a handful of different portable speakers before settling on this one.

Marshall also makes bigger models that are plug in, so look into those as well if you don't need portable / battery powered.

Reactions: gr1980
post-15468957
Post #5 of 10

gr1980

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
I have had a Marshall Kilburn in my kitchen for years now. And being portable (battery powered) I also take it everywhere (garage, park, deck parties). Decent low end for a portable. And T & B controls, which I love, especially since the mids are a bit recessed for my taste so I tend to roll back both the T & B and raise the volume to compensate. For what it is, I really like it. I went through a handful of different portable speakers before settling on this one.

Marshall also makes bigger models that are plug in, so look into those as well if you don't need portable / battery powered.
Yes, I know the amp you mean - I'm a guitar player and have seen the Kilburn in some guitar shops. I have to say I had never considered this, but I will add it to my list to investigate further.

post-15469033
Post #6 of 10

bzippy

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Yes, I know the amp you mean - I'm a guitar player and have seen the Kilburn in some guitar shops. I have to say I had never considered this, but I will add it to my list to investigate further.
Yes, I'm a guitar player too! Anyway, Marshall Heaphones is a separate division from their musical instruments. They have a number of speakers to choose from in fact. Check out their website.

I espcially like them for the tone controls. When I was shopping I didn't find many others have that (if any).

Last edited:
post-15469066
Post #7 of 10

Sonic Defender

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
I'm assuming active speakers don't need any sort of an external amp to help the M11 drive them?

I'm looking very quickly at Kanto speakers on Amazon and I see they have an aux in - I'm assuming I would run a 3.5mm cable from my headphones out into the aux in?

They look to be a perfect size for me.
Yes, the active speakers have built in Class D amplifiers. Kanto are actually pretty respected and I can tell you that they sound quite good, surprisingly good. I didn't expect much from them, but I was extremely surprised at just how nice the sound was. I purchased a Kanto Sub 8 to use with what I think were YU5s at the time. Absolutely get a sub, well worth the extra expense as you will never hear any bass deeper than 60Hz in a meaningful way without a sub when using smaller speakers. Even if the companies advertise lower frequencies, the amplitude at those frequencies is very low, inaudible so absolutely get a sub. The Kanto's are really well built and the solid Bluetooth will be a nice connectivity option for sure. I was at one point using an iFi Nano to output to the Kanto's and I really liked that desktop rig, but frankly I enjoyed it very much with Bluetooth from my phone as well.

post-15469212
Post #8 of 10

gr1980

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
Yes, the active speakers have built in Class D amplifiers. Kanto are actually pretty respected and I can tell you that they sound quite good, surprisingly good. I didn't expect much from them, but I was extremely surprised at just how nice the sound was. I purchased a Kanto Sub 8 to use with what I think were YU5s at the time. Absolutely get a sub, well worth the extra expense as you will never hear any bass deeper than 60Hz in a meaningful way without a sub when using smaller speakers. Even if the companies advertise lower frequencies, the amplitude at those frequencies is very low, inaudible so absolutely get a sub. The Kanto's are really well built and the solid Bluetooth will be a nice connectivity option for sure. I was at one point using an iFi Nano to output to the Kanto's and I really liked that desktop rig, but frankly I enjoyed it very much with Bluetooth from my phone as well.
Do phones not have enough output power to power something like Kanto speakers?

post-15469588
Post #9 of 10

Sonic Defender

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Do phones not have enough output power to power something like Kanto speakers?
The phone would simply need to put out an analogue output that the amplifier section in the active speakers would then amplify. I would just use Bluetooth into the Bluetooth receiver in the speaker.

post-15778272
Post #10 of 10

gr1980

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I hope you're all well.

I still haven't purchased a speaker! Life got really crazy at the end of February and other things took priorities. Hopefully things are getting back to normal for everyone...

So, I'm looking at the Denon 350 or the Technics SC-C30 - what do you all reckon? My budget is £600 maximum. I'm still looking to connect my Fiio M11 to it, preferably via the 3.5mm aux jack.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)