Please recommend headphones for me!
Jul 7, 2001 at 2:40 AM Post #31 of 33
Actually Trap mixing should also be done on analytical headphones/speakers, because these allow you to hear tiny details which are often MUCH more difficult to hear on other equipment. This may not make much sense to those who aren't involved in audio recording/mixing, but trust me...to those who actually do it for a living, it makes perfect sense.

I GUARANTEE that if you mix on a headphone such as the HD-580, or HD-600 which has more recessed mids and treble, you will get a mix that will have a "sizzly" high end when played on (the vast majority of) consumer equipment which already has exaggerated highs.

Perhaps Trap thinks I meant that mixes should ONLY be monitored on "analytical" meadphones and speakers. NOTHING could be further from the truth! Mixes should be checked on as many different types of systems as you can get your hands on...car stereos, cheap walkman portables, boom-boxes, mp3 players, mono table radios, and yes...HIGH END STEREOS (although it's important to understand that your mix will be heard far more often on the types of devices mentioned first, than on the high end stereo). Fortunately a good mix needn't sacrifice the clarity and definition appreciated by audiophiles in order to "cut through" on cheaper gear. An experienced engineer/producer knows how to "strike a balance".

Most good recording/production studios have multiple monitors which an engineer/producer can switch between...everything from highly analytical, to highly accurate, to dirt cheap and "cheesy". It's also useful to LEAVE the "sweet spot", perhaps even the room and listen from some distance to see if you can still hear all of the important elements in a mix, and understand the words. Don't laugh! Lots of music listening is done to a radio in the next room, or down the hall!

The thing I personally love about the MDR-V6/7506 is that mixes which sound good through it hold up well on most everything else. When I get a mix to sound "right" on my V6/7506, I KNOW it will also sound right on the HD-580, HD-600, car stereo, walkman, boom-box, etc. I know because I hear my work constantly on radios ranging from 10 dollar Wal Mart clock radios to 15,000 dollar high end stereo systems.

By the way, if you've gotten the idea from what I've written that the MDR-V6 is not accurate because I say that it errs on the "analytical" side of neutrality, don't forget that EVERY headphone errs from neutrality in some way. The MDR-V6/7506 is, to my ears, the MOST accurate headphone under 200 US dollars, and at least as accurate as most of the models above that price! I simply find it's "analytical" nature to be a bit too "in my face" for relaxed listening for pleasure! (it also accentuates fm hiss quite a bit more than the HD-580 or HD-600, so it is a much worse choice for radio listening, which I do a lot of!)

Jul 7, 2001 at 3:57 AM Post #32 of 33
Just curious, have you ever tried Grados or Etymotics? I'd like to know how you think they compare as far as being "detailed". Also, where's a good place to buy one of those Sonys? If they're cheap enough I might be interested in hearing one for myself.

Jul 7, 2001 at 5:02 AM Post #33 of 33
Unfortunately I've still never heard Etymotics. I doubt I'd want to have anything shoved down my ear canals for 10 hours a day EVERY day, however!

I have used Grados for tracking/mixing, and while they're certainly "analytical", I find their mids and highs much too peaky for long term listening. Also, as a radio producer who also voices much of my own work, I often wear headphones with a live microphone just inches away. Grados are absolutely the worst I've ever tried for feedback while doing this. It's absolutely astounding how much sound leaks from these things. And the fact that the sound which does "leak" from Grados is so "peaky" in the mids and highs, the very frequencies where feedback occurs, means that they are an absolute DISASTER when used for this task. Don't believe me? Try listening to your own voice through Grados while in close proximity to a microphone. You'll (very) quickly know what I mean!
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back