Please recommend a head amp for my Grado 80i's
Jan 3, 2014 at 8:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

rwitt

New Head-Fier
Hi Everyone,

I have Grado 80i's that are close to being burned in they have maybe 60-70 hrs. I really love their sound and would really like to hear them with a good amp. My budget is tops $500 preferably less. Right now I am using vintage gear headphone outputs which sound good but I'd like something good from today.

I have read about a lot of amps here but have not seen a definite "go to" amp for these phones.
Can someone help?

Thanks!
R

Jan 4, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #3 of 14
Don't buy a $500 amp for a $100 headphone.    Just upgrade to something else.  A $500 amp won't even improve the SR80i's sound all that much.  Just buy another headphone, or focus on modding that SR80i of yours.  Buying the L-Cush pads makes a great different. 

Jan 4, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #4 of 14
Yes they are reasonable in price. Still, I do need an amp...

Only expensive phones need an amp? I can try the cushions sure but a good amp is in order. 80's are decent phones.

Jan 4, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #5 of 14
Only headphones that have a high impedance (above 70 ohms in my book), or and with a low sensitivity rating (below 100 db maybe) really need an amp.  Amps will pretty much always improve the sound but with something like the SR80i (32 ohms), the improvement is minimal.

I'd definitely get the L Pads ASAP.

Jan 26, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #10 of 14
The Little Dot 1+ is about $100 if you pick one up used.....also a schiit vali is fairly cheap and should work well also.

Jan 26, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #11 of 14
The Little Dot 1+ is about $100 if you pick one up used.....also a schiit vali is fairly cheap and should work well also.

Whirlwind,
I've seen the praise for both of these on the forum. I've read a lot on the Vali but not sure on that one yet. I've got to find a decent link on the Dot 1+....

I know it's just an 80i, but I do love it and it deserves something!
Thanks for your reply - I will check the Dot 1+.
Ron

Jan 26, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #12 of 14
What everyone else in this thread is trying to tell you is that you will get a much bigger increase in sound quality from buying new $400 headphones and a $100 amp than you will get by buying a $500 amp for your Grado 80i. No one is saying your Grado are bad - but we are questioning your priorities. My advice is to buy a $100 amp for your Grados. When you get it, you will probably hear a small difference (make sure you carefully match the volume between amped and unamped before you decide). Then go out and buy $400 headphones, connect them to you amp, and compare them to your amped Grados. I suspect you will not hear a small difference, you will hear a big difference. :)

Jan 28, 2014 at 5:31 AM Post #13 of 14
I often amp SR80i with Objective O2, and it's even better that way: fuller-bodied treble, more open sounding, and very slightly better soundstage. I wouldn't have bought O2 for 80i only; I already had it for K702.

Jan 28, 2014 at 7:43 AM Post #14 of 14
I often amp SR80i with Objective O2, and it's even better that way: fuller-bodied treble, more open sounding, and very slightly better soundstage. I wouldn't have bought O2 for 80i only; I already had it for K702.

That is a great little amp. I have to think the SS technology inside is very clean and dynamic. I was thinking a good amp like this one or the others mentioned could only improve the sound in general and I was right. It just so happens you bought them for some higher end phones.

Thanks for the help...

Ron

Users who are viewing this thread

Back