Please no flaming! Question about Bose Triports
Nov 11, 2003 at 2:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

phil2dot6

New Head-Fier
Here's my situation, my friend wants to buy his girlfriend a pair of Bose Triports, of which he owns a pair himself. Now, I went on and on bashing Bose in general and I can't really convince him, no matter how much I explain to him that Bose is just another great commercial scam. Thus, I am forced to get some headphones that will beat the competition of the Triports; however, I am on a TIGHT budget and all I have in my hands are a pair of Koss KSC-35's and I just bought a pair of Sennheiser PX200's. Of course, by the appearance of the KSC-35's my friend wouldn't be convinced whether or not the Koss sound better than the Bose.
rolleyes.gif
So now I'm left with the Senn's I'm getting in 7-10 days from ecost.com. The big question is whether or not the PX200's will crush the Triports; and if not, what set of cans should I purchase that is less than $50 and could give my friend a definite conclusion? I want definite answers, and...

NO BASHING ON BOSE! THIS IS NOT A THREAD FOR BOSE BASHING!

Thanks in advance guys!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 11, 2003 at 2:51 AM Post #2 of 12
if your friend understands the joy of smooth sound, ur px200 WILL make him realize how bad the triports are...

BUT, if all your friend cares is bass and maybe hights (like almost 90% of pple these days), he will think triports are better. triports bass isnt greats at all, but you can sure hear the "boom"...

so it depend on what types of music your friend listens to
tripots sound sounds vert hollw to me..
rolleyes.gif

Nov 11, 2003 at 3:18 AM Post #3 of 12
If he wants the BOOM BOOOM effect check out some senn 212 PRO's. I just bought these about a month and a half ago. They have pretty excessive bass and the treble is a bit much. But thats exactly what the regular J6P likes. I enjoy them for plane fights because they have bass you can hear over the plane plus the isolation is very good. I heard the triports for a few seconds while demoing headphones. They sounded just like the accustimass setup to me :/. The mids were crap compaired to the senn 212's. I didn't find the triports to have very excessive bass just crapy bass :p.

Ryan

Nov 11, 2003 at 3:25 AM Post #4 of 12
I tried the Bose Triports for a while and couldn't really live with them. Too much bass and not enough highs. I don't dislike Bose as a company at all. I actually like the Bose Quiet Comfort 2s. What they were thinking with the sound of the Triports, though, I have no idea. I was truly surprised that the sound was not at least a little better.
smily_headphones1.gif

The KSC 35s have monster sound quality. More and more I think they were a lucky accident by Koss. (But I can't stand the clips!!!) Comparing a $150 or less closed phone to the KSC 35s is generally a train wreck waiting to happen, IMHO.
redface.gif

As far as crushing the sound quality of the Triports for under $50, the Senn HD497s should do nicely, but they have comfort issues, while the Triports do not.

Crushing the Triports with something new for under $50 is not *that* easy though.

Nov 11, 2003 at 5:34 AM Post #6 of 12
i'm not sure of your purpose. like steve and ryan say, your friend probably likes the big bass. so, you're gonna go look for an "audiophile" phone with such bloated bass? doesn't that defeat the purpose?--i mean, what's the point of showing him more junk to replace the junk that he wants?

i think the point isn't about the bose phone itself, but about his taste in sound. his taste has been commertialized by the big industry... and heck, he probably wants a 2x 15" subwoofer in his honda too.

there's no point in getting him any phone other than the triports if he really likes that sound. when he's less stubborn, maybe you can show him what real hi-end phones sound like.

...personally, i have a friend who is rich as hell. and he just bought himself a bose system. he thinks it's the best. loves the sound. tons of single-frequency bass... lots of staticky treble... and yuck yuck sound. that's bose. but what can i tell him? he's heard my small system. very detailed and awesome sound in my opinion. yet doesn't impress him. then i turn on my Urei's (3x 15" woofers, and a treble horn.... 500wpc)... and he likes that.

no way to change my friend. let yours be.

Nov 11, 2003 at 5:45 AM Post #7 of 12
I second the SR-60s. Even unamped, they do things for regular old pop music other cans in that price range can only dream of.

--Chris

Nov 11, 2003 at 9:18 AM Post #8 of 12
Hell from my recollection of the Triports, the PX100's destroy them in every aspect...

-EDIT-

Actually... even if the KSC-35's or the PX200's don't destroy the Bose (in his opinion) it doesn't matter. If you can get him to sit down and really listen for a while he should at least realize that the Bose cans are WAY overpriced. So then suggest to him that if they sound good at that price that he try to imagine what other brands (like Sennheiser) can do for the $150 that the Bose cost him.

Nov 11, 2003 at 2:18 PM Post #10 of 12
Let your friend buy his GF the Bose. That's what he has, that's what he wants her to have too. He's obviously happy with them and that's what matters. Did you consider that he might buy something elese due to your efforts and then be unhappy with what he bought? Worse, his GF might not be happy...

I mean it - if he *wants* the Bose stuff, let him have them.

Nov 11, 2003 at 6:35 PM Post #11 of 12
I would bet that about 99% of the people that have bose don't actually love the bose sound, they just want to be able to say they have bose. I mean i've seen so many people that just go out and buy bose so they can say they have the best. Showing them something that just creams bose in all aspects doesn't usuall hit home. I mean who would want some sennhesier headphones which no one has heard of over bose :\. I've long sense stoped tying to talk people out of bose. It's a lost cause. The bose marketing monster is just to big and convincing.

Ryan

Nov 11, 2003 at 9:02 PM Post #12 of 12
He basically hooks up his Triports to his Dell computer and listens to MP3's. He might occasionally take them with him for a workout, in which might be plugged into his portable CD or minidisc player. His range in music selection is somewhat diverse; in his music library, he has classical, country, and rap.

From what I've heard in the Bose Triports, the clarity isn't even close to what the KSC-35's provide. I did manage to download the binaural soundclips and play them using both headphones, and the comparisons in sharp clean sounds are astounding! Almost ghastly after realizing he paid five times as much as I had paid for mine. Now if I had my porta-pros with me, I could've compared the bass, but I'm not so sure what the outcomes would be.

Thanks for your help guys! I have the Grado SR60 on my "to-buy" list right now.

Any other suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back