Please make sub-$70 recommendations for running headphones
Apr 1, 2004 at 8:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

MikeF

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a pair of headphones for use while running, both outdoors and on a treadmill. I run for about 90 minutes, 5 days per week. These headphones will be paired with an iPod Mini. I will never use these headphones other than while running.

Some additional information:

1. Price is the first major consideration - my purchase must be under $70.

2. Fit is the second major consideration - I do not want headphones that will not stay in place.

3. Sound isolation is somewhat of a consideration. Don't worry about the dangers of sound isolation outdoors, as I run on a pedestrian seawall.

4. Sound quality is obviously a consideration, but secondary to price and fit.

Apr 1, 2004 at 9:01 PM Post #4 of 25
Koss Sportapros, Portapros, Sennheiser PX100 or 200s.

The Sportapros are nice and tight, a bit boomy in bass... the Portapros might not be as stable on a run. Sennheiser 200s offer more isolation, but their sound isn't as good as the 100s.

Apr 1, 2004 at 9:02 PM Post #5 of 25
i have the koss kcs35 and the mx500. get both, they are essential portable headphones.

Apr 1, 2004 at 9:03 PM Post #6 of 25
Actually, I think the 400's and 500's are only $15 and $16 from Newegg, but I wouldn't recommend them. I have MX500's, and I can't imagine running in them--they fall out way too easily. Also, they really aren't very comfortable, IMO.

I haven't heard them, but maybe the Sharp HP-MD33S? I just ordered those based on similar criteria. But some people say that the EX-style phones fit well, and others say they fall out...? I guess I'll know in about a week. Anyway, they sell for around $44-49.

Apr 1, 2004 at 9:30 PM Post #7 of 25
Bump your budget only 10 more bucks and you got yourself a pair of shure e2c's...
wink.gif

Apr 1, 2004 at 9:37 PM Post #8 of 25
If someone could assure me that Shure E2c headphones would be secure enough for running, I might consider them - but from what I understand, their main strength is sound.

Apr 1, 2004 at 9:50 PM Post #9 of 25
The mx400 and 500 are _terrible_ for running, in my experience. I used them for a while simply because I didn't want to purchase a dedicated running headphone...big mistake. They won't remain stable in the ears while you run. I prefer to run without music than to run with earbuds, especially the mx series.

Of all the running phones I have tried, the px100 is the best for me. Stays in place, smallish, sounds great out of portables, comfortable, doesn't isolate, and pretty cheap.

Just my two cents.

Apr 1, 2004 at 10:38 PM Post #10 of 25
Or you could run really _smoothly_ !
smily_headphones1.gif

Whatever works for you... if you like buds, tell us if you have small or big earholes (sounds obscene). I'm sure many of the members here have experience in getting a good fit from buds/canalphones.

Apr 1, 2004 at 10:49 PM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by MikeF
If someone could assure me that Shure E2c headphones would be secure enough for running, I might consider them - but from what I understand, their main strength is sound.

With the right fit and a good seal, the E2c's would be very secure. More so than your typical earbud.

Apr 1, 2004 at 10:57 PM Post #12 of 25
I simply can't think of any headphone that's as perfect for running as ksc-35s. They don't bug you, sound great, stay on and let you hear the truck that'll kill you
smily_headphones1.gif

-Taurui

Apr 1, 2004 at 11:02 PM Post #13 of 25
Koss ksc35

mx series? Painful.
Shure? They're meant more for streetwear, but I guess you could go exercising with these... I don't really like earcanal phones for exercising, but whatever.

Apr 2, 2004 at 2:14 AM Post #14 of 25
Maybe the KSC-55? That thing will grip your head all right.

Apr 2, 2004 at 2:20 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by MikeF

The Shures are definitely secure enough for running. The only problem is their extreme isolation, but I see that you think that's not an issue. I've been using them for exercise for a month or so and think they're absolutely perfect for this. The thickness is an added advantage when running/exercising as they kind of have to be jammedand twisted in the ear. Trust me, even with excessivie sweat -- they're not budging! And the sound is definitely a strength.

It's worth it to go a bit over your $70 limit and get these. I got mine really only for exercise as well and can only say it was money well spent!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back