Please let me know if I’m making the right choice
Oct 12, 2009 at 11:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

caceledon

New Head-Fier
I’ve been researching around the web for about a week looking for a good pair of headphones.
The primary use will be at home, with a computer as source, but I would like it if I could use them at work as well (hopefully don’t leak to much sound, but let sound in, since I need to hear what is going on around me).
I listen to a wide variety of music genres, primarily alternative rock (nine inch nails, tool, bjork, silversun pickups), some hip hop (just jack, jay-z) and while reading, or at work, classical and jazz.
I currently own low end equipment only. Sennhiser eh-150 that I use at the computer trough a x-fi sound card , thonet and vader Hosh speakers at the computer, and Yamaha HTR-5640 receiver (with Yamaha speakers).
I´m not very satisfied with the eh-150, far too bassy, and I´m not a bass head at all, I prefer a more neutral sound, even though for rock is essential a well define bass.
I live in Chile so availability is quite limited and expensive. I´m planning on buying from ebay, and mi budget is around $500 usd (I could pay more if it’s worth it).
After much reading, i´ve decided for a pair of AKG 701 and a Hifiman EF2, on ebay I could find them for $315 the headphones and $215 the amp.
Please let me know if I´m making the right choice.
PD: How fragile are tube amps to transport from home to work? (Only a short drive)

Oct 13, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #2 of 14
Why eBay? It has been quite some time since deals were to be had on eBay - it is more of a retail markety place these days, and with retail prices to boot. Also known for many scams, counterfeit items and fly by night sellers. Try a reputable distributor or there are some great used phones right here on head-fi. Tube amps can be transported, but I would hesitate to do as you may see a shorter tube life due to movement, temperature changes etc.

Oct 13, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #5 of 14
Yeah...ebay can be iffy. But don't discount it altogether. Some legit companies ( Moon Audio and Little Dot, for example ) sell their wares on eBay. Also some ebay sellers are large stores with very good ratings 100% at several thousand transactions.
But I agree...great deals to be had at other online retailers or second hand...which I find kind of iffy. : )

Oct 13, 2009 at 2:15 AM Post #6 of 14
I like ebay. They're not always the cheapest, but I've gotten some screaming good deals there. Paypal "protected" me from 2 different counterfeits by refunding my money.

Oct 13, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #8 of 14
People need to know what they are getting into with Stax - that's a different world and one probably best left to headphone audiophiles, rather than someone starting out.

All this talk of ebay and transporting tubes, and not one mention that the HF2 is not up to the job of powering the K701?

Oct 13, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #9 of 14
Some good suggestions here. Drubbing is right about Stax - I've been emptying my wallet on dynamics and orthos for over a year and have now fallen for Stax - quite likely where I end my journey.
And although I gave warning about eBay, don't discount them (after all I have been an eBay seller for over 15 years and with few complaints). Do your research, read the many threads here and ask questions - enjoy YOUR sonic journey.
biggrin.gif

Oct 13, 2009 at 10:01 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drubbing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
People need to know what they are getting into with Stax - that's a different world and one probably best left to headphone audiophiles, rather than someone starting out.

confused_face(1).gif
If I was starting out all over again I would go straight for stax as a starter rig but you need to know where to look (i.e. Yahoo auctions japan, ebay.de) and what to look out for.

Oct 13, 2009 at 1:28 PM Post #12 of 14
Is the HiFiman EF2 really not up to the job of powering the K701? I read somewhere on this forum that it was. But if not, what would be a good alternative for around the same price. I would prefer a DAC / amp solution, since my primary source is a computer. If nothing within the price range can power de k701, what is a comparable headphone, that doesn’t require so much power?

Oct 13, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #13 of 14
After more researching, I found this opinions on the forums:
'look into the EF2 which is a hybrid tube amp with usb dac and should also drive the K701 nicely."
"The EF2 has recently been recommended for use with the K701."
"after an appropriate burn in i´m enjoying the ef2 with NOS Raytheon 6AK5 tubes/akg701"
So, I asume that the EF2 can power the k701, but, people seem to critisise a lot the lack of bass, and I asume it would only get worst with an entry level amp like the EF2.
Am I right? I'm not a big bsss fan, but, a tight clear bass is a must. Would the k701/EF2 be enough?

Oct 14, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by caceledon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the HiFiman EF2 really not up to the job of powering the K701? I read somewhere on this forum that it was.

If the hf2 can power the 701, then why do people criticise the lack of bass? Perhaps because there's not enough power to activate the drivers and open up the lower frequencies?

There are also people on this forum that run 701s off a PC soundcard or iPod. They are all muppets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back