Please help the uninitiated re: HD 570,580,590...and others
Apr 26, 2002 at 7:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

M.Sensation

Head-Fier
I have a few questions. I have the 570's but I am
not fully convinced that these are the ones for me. I love the comfort, which is a huge factor based on my 8 hours per average day listening, but the sound leaves a little to be desired. This could be because of the pretty crappy source components but i'd like to open myself to some options. The 600's are definitely out of my price range but both the 580's and 590's look pretty tempting. What are the major differences in these 2 other than the style? The 'Bionetic' design of the 570's are really comfortable so if they were to be replaced i'd be leaning to the 590's. What would you recommend. And for reference, I have a wide musical taste including Hip Hop, Classic Rock, Jazz, Electronic, Funk, Alternative... basically everything other than Country and Foreign stuff. Now I am planning on getting a TAH because of the portability so please keep that in mind as well.

I have a few other questions (that have more to do with Headroom so I posted in this forum) that hopefully some of you guys can help me out with. I live in Canada, and I'm sure some of you do to, and am worried about customs and duties. What are your experiences with that? Did you have to fork out duty on the headphones? I'm pretty sure the amp will be duty free because of NAFTA (they are made in the US right?) but worried about the headphones.

Last question. Is there a way to power the TAH with something other than batteries? I listen to my portable cd player approx 2 hours/day during transit to and from work on the bus, and then another 5 or so hours at work. Is there some adapter to power it that bypasses the batteries. I guess it doesn't have to bypass the batteries but it'd be nice for convenience issues.

Thanks for your time people!

Apr 26, 2002 at 7:29 PM Post #2 of 5
Whoops, meant to post it in the Headroom forum but I guess it'll do here.

Apr 26, 2002 at 11:58 PM Post #3 of 5
I like my HD590's. Comfortable and great sound. Some prefer the 580's, both are definitely a step up from the 570's.

I ordered mine directly from Germany to avoid the high exchange rate on the US Dollar. Wasn't so lucky with the amp. Ordered a Little More Power, $469 US from Headroom. Total damage on my cc was $910 CDN! Basically take the price and double it. And yes when they delivered my phones I had to fork a $50 over to the Fedex guy to pay the duty before he would give me the phones. Time to start learning how to grow banannas because we're rapidly becoming a 3rd world country. sorry - end of rant.

Better start saving those pennies, err I mean 100's
biggrin.gif

Apr 27, 2002 at 12:16 AM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for the info Calvin, but, out of curiosity, what was the damage on the headphones like and where did you get them from? Thanks.

Apr 27, 2002 at 12:42 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by M.Sensation
I have a few questions. I have the 570's but I am
not fully convinced that these are the ones for me. I love the comfort, which is a huge factor based on my 8 hours per average day listening, but the sound leaves a little to be desired. This could be because of the pretty crappy source components but i'd like to open myself to some options. The 600's are definitely out of my price range but both the 580's and 590's look pretty tempting. What are the major differences in these 2 other than the style?

The 590 are a lot more comfortable, work much better with poorly amplified sources (You can actually get GOOD sound from them from most portable players without external amplification). And for *my* preferences, the sound is better, brighter, more detailed and definitely not laidback.

You can get a legion of 580 fans stating that the 580 are better, of course.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back