PLEASE HELP: Professional Audio from Home [set up for $2500]
Jun 10, 2014 at 7:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

atdc

New Head-Fier
I plan to create music from my computer using synths, guitars, and pianos that I currently have in my house.
I am looking to buy amps/speakers for listening to my tracks. [reference monitors?]
I am very uninformed but feel that I am picky and require a decent quality set up.
I don't have a very good clue as to where I should start.

1. My price range is ~$2500.
  2. I have an O2 amp/dac.
  3. The ATC SCM7 speaker caught my eye.
  4. I know nothing about bi-amp setups. [Would getting another amp and some active crossovers power a pair of SCM7s?]

Any suggestions appreciated!
Thank you head-fi.

Edit: If I don't have to spend my whole budget as it will not net me significant increase in sound quality, saving some money is always awesome.

Jun 10, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #2 of 4
explain more,

I,for example, care more about Soundstage and Imaging, If I had that kind of money, I would buy the HD800.

There are ALOT OF high end DACs out there. I own the Bifrost Uber which cost me around 700 CDN.It is a good DAC, discrete analog stage, upgradeable, bit perfect, high-end DA Chip and etc. check the DACs section in the head Gear Tab.

Also check out :
M-DAC, Peachtree DAC-it, Yulong D08/D18, and many many more...

for standalone powerful amps you may want to look at SCHIIT's amps, they have tubes as well..

if you want a DAC/AMP combo look into the Audio GD NFB-11(2014) it is cheap and gets good reviews too.

Jun 10, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #3 of 4
Am I better off getting headphones over speakers?
Will upgrading from the O2 provide more accurate results than purchasing a different listening device?

Jun 10, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #4 of 4
O2 is a very transparent amp, it is designed for low impedance headphones though. it also has the lowest distortion compared with the AMPs in its league.

I have no experience with speakers, sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back