Please help newbe with Amp suggestions
Nov 26, 2012 at 1:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

sportflyer

New Head-Fier
I will be purchasing a AKG Q701 ( or similar) but I think this headphone needs an amp.

The headphone + Amp will be used for 2 channel music and for Movies ( late evening use ) . My primary listening method  is still speakers.

2 channel music is mostly classical and some jazz ( acoustic) . 

Sources are a) Onkyo NR3007 for movies streamed via WDTV Live b) SB Touch for FLAC  c) Oppo 980H for CD.s 

I would like to keep the amp cost to $300. 

In no particular order some of the amps I am considering are:

Meier Corda Rock
Matrix M stage
Little Dot ( not sure which model , I+ ?)
Schiit Asgard or Valhalla 
Others? 

This will be a "one time"  purchase as I don't plan to upgrade any time soon. Please help me with your recommendations.

Thanks

Nov 26, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:
I will be purchasing a AKG Q701 ( or similar) but I think this headphone needs an amp.
The headphone + Amp will be used for 2 channel music and for Movies ( late evening use ) . My primary listening method  is still speakers.
2 channel music is mostly classical and some jazz ( acoustic) . 
Sources are a) Onkyo NR3007 for movies streamed via WDTV Live b) SB Touch for FLAC  c) Oppo 980H for CD.s 
I would like to keep the amp cost to $300. 
In no particular order some of the amps I am considering are:
Meier Corda Rock
Matrix M stage
Little Dot ( not sure which model , I+ ?)
Schiit Asgard or Valhalla 
Others? 
This will be a "one time"  purchase as I don't plan to upgrade any time soon. Please help me with your recommendations.

I would assume you would run an HDMI cable from the Oppo 980H to the Onkyo NR3007
and plug the AKG Q701s into the Onkyo.

Maybe get a Fiio E11 portable headphone amplifier for use with the Sound Blaster Touch Zen.

Total cost $62, way under your $300 budget.

Nov 26, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
I would assume you would run an HDMI cable from the Oppo 980H to the Onkyo NR3007
and plug the AKG Q701s into the Onkyo.

Maybe get a Fiio E11 portable headphone amplifier for use with the Sound Blaster Touch Zen.

Total cost $62, way under your $300 budget.

For CD listening, I could do it both ways ie HDMI or Coax to Onkyo ( use Onkyo's DAC) or  Oppo analog out to headphone Amp ( use Opp's Dac)  .  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back