Please help. Need an amp to boost volume on 250 ohm headphones
Apr 7, 2013 at 8:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Rikifi

New Head-Fier
Hi, I have just purchased beyerdynamic dt250 (250 ohm version), I understand that the volume from things like phone, tv etc won't be loud enough at this Impedance and need something to boost/drive them.

I have zero knowledge about headphone amps.
My main uses are
1. Straight from my yamaha motif es keyboard (the ohm output is around 40 ohms) so I need to amplify the signal before it get to my beyerdynamic dt250 's?

2. Using with my laptop

3. Watching TV at night.

I basically just want something that will increase the overall volume as much as possible.

Please help as I need to buy very soon.

Apr 8, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #3 of 15
I seriously doubt that the old FiiO E5 with 18mw output into 300Ω will give any boost at all to the DT250`s.

If you are looking for a portable amp for these I would suggest:
FiiO E12
C&C BH
JDS Labs O2

For a non portable I would suggest:
FiiO E09K
Schiit Magni

These are all reasonably priced and will give you great performance.
It`s all up from here.
biggrin.gif

Apr 8, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #8 of 15
The FiiO E9 / E7 are the older models and not interchangable with the newer E09K/E07K combo.
The E9i is a docking station for iPods, and iPhones.

For the E9 you can hook up your inputs with a 3.5mm TRS jack.
Male 3.5mm to Male 3.5mm stereo cable and use a 3.5mm to 6.5mm adapter to plug into your keyboard.
The laptop would be USB to the E9 only with the E7 docked.

For the E09K the inputs are RCA
Male 6.5mm to RCA stereo cable from your keyboard
Same deal with the laptop but with the E07K docked.

It also depends on how much you are looking to spend as too the options you can get on the amp.
You also stated in another thread that you possibly wanted the amp available for music sessions as well, then it might be a good idea to go to a major music store in your area and see what they have. A lot of the Musician Headphone amps already come with 6.5mm TRS, then all you would need are patch cables.
beerchug.gif

Apr 8, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #9 of 15
Thanks trolldragon.

Yes I thought about going to a music shop, but it will mostly be used at home in my music room.
All I basically want is an amp I can plug in and increase/decrease my headphone volume on stage if I use them for a song, and at home instead of getting mixer amps out just use small mini amp.
I checked and it's just standard e9 and e7

Apr 8, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #10 of 15
Does a your know about the peavey hb2?

Basically I just want a mini power amp mixer I think.

The peavey allows my keyboard plus a line in (pa mix) and can adjust both volumes.
Does anyone. Know if the peavey would drive my 250 ohm headphones enough though?
Or is there something else I should look into?

Apr 8, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #11 of 15
Here is a review of the hb2 and the guy claims it has lots of power... Depends on what he means by lots...
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/live-sound/457048-peavey-hb2-hardwired-iem.html

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Apr 8, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #12 of 15
I really think that something like the hb2 is really what you are looking for.

Apr 9, 2013 at 3:54 AM Post #13 of 15
Yes it looks like it's what I'm after doesn't it.

Any alternatives out there?
This is £110 in the UK, been looking at around £80 if I can find something.

Thanks for your help trolldragon, really appreciate it, I have no idea about these things

Apr 9, 2013 at 7:11 AM Post #14 of 15
You are very welcome Rikifi.
Glad we got it sorted out, I have no idea about musician gear as I don't play anything. :wink:

You might also ask up on the gearsltuz.com forums for alternatives they seem to know there stuff in the music end.

That hb2 will probably work great for your keyboard but I don't think it will help your laptop / TV audio.

The E9/E7 combo would be great on the laptop if you can get it cheap.

There is no one size fits all in this game, and the selection of gear out there can be overwhelming.

I hope you do find a solution that works for all your devices.
:beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back