Please help me with my survey (about storage)
Jun 16, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #46 of 255
  How do you guys surpass 500 gigs? Christ. 

Me?  I'm a recovering music journalist...I just have tons of music I love.  I'm at 1.2TB just on stuff ripped from CD to ALAC; when I start to record my 1000+ pieces of vinyl, it's going to get ugly.  Only about 10% of that vinyl was ever released in a digital format...I have years of work ahead of me.  For *that* project I'm going to want nuclear-proof backups; reripping my CDs after an external WD disk failure sucked up weeks of time.  

Jun 16, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #47 of 255
Hard to answer your survey question because the digital music library is a work in progress. In an external NAS drive, devoted to music only, I have two 3TB hard drives (one storage, one RAID backup). Currently, music fills about 500GB -- but I still have a lot of CDs to rip, so I'll use a lot more of that disk space eventually....

Jun 16, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #48 of 255
The vast majority of my music is on CD's (stop snickering).  The only stuff 'stored' on a hard drive are the single tracks that I have bought.  I load up the Cowan J3 with what I want to listen to on a trip, or for the week's walking, and go.  So, less than 250 GB, but far more than that on the CD's, which get listened to all the time at home.

Jun 16, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #51 of 255
RAID5 array consisting of 5 2TB HDDs with the usable capacity of 8TB. 4.4 TB to go - but DSD128  masters and equally DSD128 needledrops are reducing the space available by day. Next planned addition is similar RAID5 array consisting of 5 4TB HDDs - giving another 16TB of storage. Would love to go to more secure RAID than RAID5, but available capacity with given number/capacity of disks is severely reduced by this measure(s).

Just needledrops of around 3K LPs will require approx 12 TB ...

Jun 16, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #52 of 255
I only have 200GB for Music...  What tipped the scale for me was the TV shows and movies that I have digitized for the family.  Not stuff i use a lot, but the rest of my family does.

I voted >1TB

Jun 16, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #53 of 255
my HDD is 750GB in total, but movies/music/games and all that don't even take up half of it. Most of my gaming is done on consoles. I also have 160GB iPod which I use  around 24GB, a 16GB Walkman with 9GB filled, a 8GB Walkman with 5 GB filled, a smaller 4GB Walkman with 3GB filled.

Jun 16, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #55 of 255
Currently running a 2 TB media drive, but I plan to add a second one in a few months to provide some redundancy.  Honestly, anime holds the largest amount of my drives since my music isn't exactly a high end format. 

Jun 16, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #57 of 255
I love solid state drives. Can't go back to old hhd.

The music sounds better? Someone told me that just recently.
I hv 1tb of music in a portable disk in aiff format.
Looking for a backup , just haven't decided on wat path to take, cloud?

Jun 16, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #60 of 255
A U-shaped distribution. Interesting...

I was about to post the same thing. People seem to either have small, possibly selective media collections or vast, multi-terabyte ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back