Please help me with my survey (about storage)
Jun 16, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #16 of 255
Well, if we are talking about videos and music I am in the 8tb range. I know scary!

Jun 16, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #17 of 255
I have about 40GB of music, about 30GB flac and 10 GB mp3. All of it is stored on a 1 TB HDD in my laptop, which is separate from my main 256 GB SSD. I also have all my music on a backup 1 TB removable HDD. So in total my music takes up about 80 GB of space.

Jun 16, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #18 of 255
  I feel like quite a few members here would be at high risk using a single disk for storage -- RAID5 or RAID10 NAS (or a SAN if you're incredibly wealthy) setups should be more common, as they can be assembled fairly cheaply nowadays. I do nightly backups onto an 8-disk HP Proliant, which I scored from work for free (ask your IT friends about old servers -- we usually scrap them or give them away!), and having the redundancy available is paramount to making sure I'm not caught lamenting an entire music collection getting flushed down the toilet. Hard disks die (often), and having redundant backups is the easiest way to protect your data.

Meh, I'm lazy :wink:

Besides, all the stuff I have on my PC I own iTunes or on a CD, so easily replaceable.

Jun 16, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #19 of 255
I do have over 500 GB of music stored in my computer, but on my portable device (HTC One) I have less than 20 GB of most frequently listened music. From time to time I will change the library on my phone, but overall I am satisfied with the 32 GB storage of it. I don't need to have 1000 mp3 songs on my phone, I just have about two hours per day at most for my music and that's about about 25 songs, or two albums. Overall now I have 70 albums on my phone and that's more than enough for me to listen, non-repeat, for a month. Really, I don't even need 128GB on a portable device if I'm still using FLAC.

Jun 16, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #21 of 255
Note: I have between 500-1000GB in lossless audio, however, I have more lossy audio as well, and if I had the storage ability (including backups) I would prefer to also have another 500GB or so for high quality lossy versions of all my lossless for my super portable players that have more limited space. Even my souped up fuze/zip clip only has 132GB with the SD card installed. So I would like to be able to swap high quality lossy files as I please without having to re-convert all the time

In an ideal world, I would probably be happy with a 2tb storage size if everything i wanted was in place (at least with my current music collection, which keeps growing). But for now, the 1tb drive is doing well enough... Add videos and photos and that's another story.

Jun 16, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #24 of 255
I'm well under 100gb, but I have yet to buy a single hi-res file.  I fear how quickly my music volume will be, once I start buy my music that way....

Jun 16, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #25 of 255
I'm using a couple of terabytes for my media storage.
I think we need to start seeing some more storage upgrades in the future because things are getting ridiculous, movies (4k), music (high-res), games (some 10-20gb's games).

Jun 16, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #26 of 255
Since it said all music/media, I included video, which makes it easily over 1TB combined. If I were to count only music, I'd guess it's under 250GB.

Oh, and the music library no longer grows at the rate it once did because I do a lot more streaming now. 

Jun 16, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #27 of 255
I have a Synology DS1513+ with 5 3TB drives, using one for parity.  It's about half full.  95% of that is "media."  About 750GB is music (flac and dsf files).

Jun 16, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #28 of 255
I feel like quite a few members here would be at high risk using a single disk for storage -- RAID5 or RAID10 NAS (or a SAN if you're incredibly wealthy) setups should be more common, as they can be assembled fairly cheaply nowadays. I do nightly backups onto an 8-disk HP Proliant, which I scored from work for free (ask your IT friends about old servers -- we usually scrap them or give them away!), and having the redundancy available is paramount to making sure I'm not caught lamenting an entire music collection getting flushed down the toilet. Hard disks die (often), and having redundant backups is the easiest way to protect your data.

Indeed, I had a backup drive that I used to do weekly backups to. Keyword, had. If my drive fails on me now I'm looking at a week of solid CD burning. It would be much worse for those who download their music assuming it's not all from the same place.

Jun 16, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #29 of 255
How do you guys surpass 500 gigs? Christ. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back