Please help me to understand your point of view regarding obsolete products
Apr 19, 2023 at 11:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

Wish I had a cool name

New Head-Fier
Hello everybody,
First of all, thanks for the admission to this community. I have been lurking for some time, and thought it was time for a membership.

This post is however a cry for help (which I hope is okay for this site). I'm currently doing research for my masters' thesis, where the main focus is about consumers perception towards obsolescence / planned obsolescence in electronic products at a consumer level.
In that relation, I hope that some of you guys are willing to answer a few questions (written format of course) about your experiences, thoughts, and opinions.
I'm not asking for than you are willing and comfortable to answer to.

So, have you ever replaced an entire product because a small component had a failure, and it was too pricey to replace? Or maybe upgraded a product because it just couldn’t do the same as the new ones?
What ever it is, it would be a big help and much appreciated.

In advance, thank you!

Apr 19, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #2 of 59
Welcome to HeadFi, and sure.

I literally just replaced a clothes dryer which was only two years old. The main electronic board has an unknown failure. Cost to replace the board, $350 for the part plus labor. New gas dryer, $700+tax+delivery.

I purchase a new laptop about every three years. As software becomes more intensive, it's not worth it for me to take extra time rendering videos or working on large format print. The saved time covers the cost of the new laptops over time.

Are these the kinds of examples you're looking for?

Apr 19, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #3 of 59
Welcome to HeadFi, and sure.

I literally just replaced a clothes dryer which was only two years old. The main electronic board has an unknown failure. Cost to replace the board, $350 for the part plus labor. New gas dryer, $700+tax+delivery.

I purchase a new laptop about every three years. As software becomes more intensive, it's not worth it for me to take extra time rendering videos or working on large format print. The saved time covers the cost of the new laptops over time.

Are these the kinds of examples you're looking for?
It sure is, more to come please!, and thank you for reaching out!

Do you have an estimate of how old the dryer was?

Is it only laptops you are replacing voluntary or for upgrading purposes?

If you rather want to answer questions in private, just let me know.
Again, thanks.

Apr 19, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #4 of 59
It sure is, more to come please!, and thank you for reaching out!

Do you have an estimate of how old the dryer was?

Is it only laptops you are replacing voluntary or for upgrading purposes?

If you rather want to answer questions in private, just let me know.
Again, thanks.
Oh it doesn't matter. Most of these guys already know me.

Dryer was an LG about 2+ years old.

I've never had a laptop fail on me, or maybe I don't keep them around long enough like most headphones. So it's only upgrading. I sell the old ones on eBay or Reddit, then buy a new one.

Apr 19, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #5 of 59
Oh it doesn't matter. Most of these guys already know me.

Dryer was an LG about 2+ years old.

I've never had a laptop fail on me, or maybe I don't keep them around long enough like most headphones. So it's only upgrading. I sell the old ones on eBay or Reddit, then buy a new one.
Right, I just noticed you already wrote that earlier.. Did you expect the dryer to last longer, or do you believe that it is actually was worn out over it is lifetime?

When you replace your laptops, are you going for a direct upgrade of same brand / model. Or are you shifting between brands?

Apr 19, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #6 of 59
Right, I just noticed you already wrote that earlier.. Did you expect the dryer to last longer, or do you believe that it is actually was worn out over it is lifetime?

When you replace your laptops, are you going for a direct upgrade of same brand / model. Or are you shifting between brands?

I expected that dryer to last at least 5 years. And certainly didn't expect an electronic failure--I just assumed it would start drying stuff all crappy. Next one I got one with fewer electronics but the repair guy said he's never seen this on an LG, so who knows. Maybe I just got unlucky. Funny enough, I still bought another LG because the washer is an LG and it's been going for 7 years.

For laptops, I go on reviews within budget. I only remember the last few... I had a Dell Latitude, Clevo/Sager, MSI Raider, Gigabyte Aero, and now an Asus Strix Scar. I also have a Huawei Matebook Pro and two older Macbook Pros just because I occasionally need Mac software.

Apr 19, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #7 of 59
I expected that dryer to last at least 5 years. And certainly didn't expect an electronic failure--I just assumed it would start drying stuff all crappy. Next one I got one with fewer electronics but the repair guy said he's never seen this on an LG, so who knows. Maybe I just got unlucky. Funny enough, I still bought another LG because the washer is an LG and it's been going for 7 years.

For laptops, I go on reviews within budget. I only remember the last few... I had a Dell Latitude, Clevo/Sager, MSI Raider, Gigabyte Aero, and now an Asus Strix Scar. I also have a Huawei Matebook Pro and two older Macbook Pros just because I occasionally need Mac software.
Well, that is quite a difference between the expectation and the actual lifetime..
Unfortunately, it is more or less impossible to prove that the obsolescence is planned or foreseen.
Just for my curiosity, do you believe in the old saying; that products (of any kind) from the 'good' old days, were meant to last for ages? And therefore that manufacturers actually tries to make you replace your products prematurely?

So, when you are to replace your laptop, you are then setting a budget and a range of required specifications prior to looking at reviews?

Apr 19, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #8 of 59
Well, that is quite a difference between the expectation and the actual lifetime..
Unfortunately, it is more or less impossible to prove that the obsolescence is planned or foreseen.
Just for my curiosity, do you believe in the old saying; that products (of any kind) from the 'good' old days, were meant to last for ages? And therefore that manufacturers actually tries to make you replace your products prematurely?

So, when you are to replace your laptop, you are then setting a budget and a range of required specifications prior to looking at reviews?
Yes, I agree in planned obsolescence, especially with a company like Apple. That stuff seems like it's literally designed with, "How are we going to slightly improve and monetize this in a few months?"... Apple products certainly have their use, and their fan base. And they do push the boundaries with tech like the M chip... genius. Just not for me.

I have no issues with headphone manufacturers though--because if something sounds good now, it'll still sound good in 10 years. Maybe the tech will change, sure, but it'll still be what it is.

When I replace a laptop, it's specs first. When I got this last one, I knew I wanted to go with a Ryzen after years with team blue. Intels run hot, or at least they used to. I was tired of the throttling so they lost me. But there were tons of Ryzen chips in laptops all of a sudden, so it came down to design, weight, build quality, and then user opinions on it. I actually had the Zephryus right before the Strix Scar, I just needed more power. But everything about that machine was beautiful for what it was.

Apr 20, 2023 at 4:27 AM Post #9 of 59
Our washing machine recently failed after about 5 years of good use, the main bearing for drum was completely worn out.

I don’t have a problem with how long it lasted, it was a cheap LG model, and 5 years is about right what we paid. However, a bearing should be replaceable, and in the past it was something that could be done to extend the life of a washing machine. These days though, the drums in washing machines are generally all sealed units, and replacing the whole drum is prohibitive.

Unfortunately most consumer goods these days are not meant to be serviced or repaired after a few years.

I have found an exception to this, and that’s my Baratza Encore coffee grinder. It’s a very well made machine to start with, but pretty much every part of this machine is available to buy as a spare part. In fact, the manufacturer encourages customers to repair their own machines.

Apr 20, 2023 at 4:37 AM Post #10 of 59
Yes, I agree in planned obsolescence, especially with a company like Apple. That stuff seems like it's literally designed with, "How are we going to slightly improve and monetize this in a few months?"... Apple products certainly have their use, and their fan base. And they do push the boundaries with tech like the M chip... genius. Just not for me.

I have no issues with headphone manufacturers though--because if something sounds good now, it'll still sound good in 10 years. Maybe the tech will change, sure, but it'll still be what it is.

When I replace a laptop, it's specs first. When I got this last one, I knew I wanted to go with a Ryzen after years with team blue. Intels run hot, or at least they used to. I was tired of the throttling so they lost me. But there were tons of Ryzen chips in laptops all of a sudden, so it came down to design, weight, build quality, and then user opinions on it. I actually had the Zephryus right before the Strix Scar, I just needed more power. But everything about that machine was beautiful for what it was.
Apple are reeeeeally good at giving us consumers the middle finger, if we haven't upgraded the product frequently, and excuse it with a technical explanation. Yet I keep comming back, just can't let it go..!

I didn't have any problems with headphone and speaker manufacturers, until I got tempted by wireless and ANC, which in hindsight was a big mistake! Now I seem to wear different components up in almost every headphone I buy..

When you are to buy things, like headphones, which are expected to last for ages. Are you then willing to pay more for the product, than you would, if you didn't expect it to function that long?

Apr 20, 2023 at 5:48 AM Post #11 of 59
Our washing machine recently failed after about 5 years of good use, the main bearing for drum was completely worn out.

I don’t have a problem with how long it lasted, it was a cheap LG model, and 5 years is about right what we paid. However, a bearing should be replaceable, and in the past it was something that could be done to extend the life of a washing machine. These days though, the drums in washing machines are generally all sealed units, and replacing the whole drum is prohibitive.

Unfortunately most consumer goods these days are not meant to be serviced or repaired after a few years.

I have found an exception to this, and that’s my Baratza Encore coffee grinder. It’s a very well made machine to start with, but pretty much every part of this machine is available to buy as a spare part. In fact, the manufacturer encourages customers to repair their own machines.
Thanks for your participation, and experiences!!

An unreplaceable bearing just sounds like it is built to be discarded as quickly as possible.. It is for sure a tendency seen more often in consumer goods than before.
Do you think, if it had happened when the machine was only 2/3 years old, you had been more determined to repairing it?

When experiencing things like this with your washing machine, are you then going to look more for products that allows component replacement when seeking replacements or new purchases?

Apr 20, 2023 at 6:52 AM Post #12 of 59
When you are to buy things, like headphones, which are expected to last for ages. Are you then willing to pay more for the product, than you would, if you didn't expect it to function that long?
Headphones I generally buy used, and often sell them before they've lost too much of their value, or once I've realized that I'm not using them often enough to warrant keeping.

There are some exceptions. I purchased my Meze Elite direct from Meze, all the Penon stuff from Penon. Some Hifimans direct from them. For Meze, I expect that Elite to last many years. Hifiman, not so much. All of these are good companies though... at least with my perception of them. If my Elite should break, I think Meze will do what they can, even if it costs me some money being out of warranty. Same with Hifiman to the extent that they have parts... if my HE6 breaks, it's done for. They don't have the parts and I'd end up with HE6SE drivers in there. I don't expect companies to do the impossible, just the best they can.

But generally, no, I won't pay a premium for something if I don't expect it to last long. If numerous owners said the Asus Strix failed after 20 months, no way am I buying it.

Apr 20, 2023 at 7:41 AM Post #13 of 59
Headphones I generally buy used, and often sell them before they've lost too much of their value, or once I've realized that I'm not using them often enough to warrant keeping.

There are some exceptions. I purchased my Meze Elite direct from Meze, all the Penon stuff from Penon. Some Hifimans direct from them. For Meze, I expect that Elite to last many years. Hifiman, not so much. All of these are good companies though... at least with my perception of them. If my Elite should break, I think Meze will do what they can, even if it costs me some money being out of warranty. Same with Hifiman to the extent that they have parts... if my HE6 breaks, it's done for. They don't have the parts and I'd end up with HE6SE drivers in there. I don't expect companies to do the impossible, just the best they can.

But generally, no, I won't pay a premium for something if I don't expect it to last long. If numerous owners said the Asus Strix failed after 20 months, no way am I buying it.
Right, it all makes sense.
Are you having the potential secondhand value of devices in mind when purchasing them? Like when you know that you potentially are shifting either laptop or headphones out at times, making sure that the value do not drop too low, or ?

Apr 20, 2023 at 7:52 AM Post #14 of 59
Right, it all makes sense.
Are you having the potential secondhand value of devices in mind when purchasing them? Like when you know that you potentially are shifting either laptop or headphones out at times, making sure that the value do not drop too low, or ?
If I love the headphone, I don't consider selling it and it doesn't matter to me if it depreciates in value. An example is the Denon D9200... I think I paid $1200 used and they can go for sub $900 now. Doesn't matter with that one... to me, the sound is on par with $2,000+ headphones.

But something like the Hifiman Arya... yes, I bought that for $1300 I think from Hifiman. As soon as the used market started dropping below $1100 used, I sold it, knowing Hifiman would only drop the price further and the used market would continue to follow.

Apr 20, 2023 at 8:33 AM Post #15 of 59
If I love the headphone, I don't consider selling it and it doesn't matter to me if it depreciates in value. An example is the Denon D9200... I think I paid $1200 used and they can go for sub $900 now. Doesn't matter with that one... to me, the sound is on par with $2,000+ headphones.

But something like the Hifiman Arya... yes, I bought that for $1300 I think from Hifiman. As soon as the used market started dropping below $1100 used, I sold it, knowing Hifiman would only drop the price further and the used market would continue to follow.
Denon D9200, wow, what a piece! :heart_eyes: For me, it doesn't get much better than that! - A good way to make a 'poor' student jealous :wink:

It is rather interesting that you are actually aware of things like laptops are getting, what I refer to as 'relative' obsolete in your view within a range of about three years. But on the other hand, are going for products such as headphones which in your view might never be obsolete!

Would it be wrong to assume, that there are more affections linked to products such as the D9200, where neither resell price or relative obsolescence is a factor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back