Please help me to choose a right in - ear phones!!!
Jul 26, 2010 at 12:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

huyquang1602

New Head-Fier
Hi, guys!
I've been looking around the headphone markets recently and I've been confused. I don't know which one is the best for my iPod Touch and my budget is only about $130. My favorite types of music are rock, dance, hip - hop and sometimes, classical isn't an exception for me. I'm looking for an in - ear phones which delivers powerful and deep bass which are extremely essential factors for my music hearing and also, suits my lifestyle which I love to be comfortable when putting my head on my pillow and listen to my own favorite music library. Moving and traveling are not exceptions for me, too. Have spent nearly 7 months in order to find the best one for myself, I've found this: Sony MDR - EX500LP Premium EX Earbud Style Headphones and the price is absolutely appropriate for me! But I didn't have a chance to try it on, so I absolutely do not know whether this product is suit for me or not and I really don't want to make a mistake in choosing the earbuds for my iPod. So if there's anyone who can help me out, I don't know what to say to thank you.

Sony MDR - EX500LP Premium EX Earbud Style Headphones (http://www.sonystyle.com/)
Specs:
  1. Driver Unit : 13.5mm diameter, dome type (CCAW adopted)
  2. Frequency Response : 4-28,000Hz
  3. Impedance : 16 ohms at 1kHz
  4. Sensitivity (db) : 108dB/mW

Jul 26, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #2 of 16
Jul 26, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #3 of 16
Also check this out:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/450407/multiple-iem-shootout-v-3

Jul 26, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #4 of 16
I don't think Sony will disappoint you, but I'd suggest Fischer Audio Eterna - the bass is probably much more impressive than Sony, while the overall price for sound quality ratio is better and Eterna should be much more comfortable laying down with your ear against the pillow.

Jul 27, 2010 at 10:31 AM Post #6 of 16
Thanks everyone for your supports! I'm really appreciate those, really! :)
But I think Frys electronics store is the best place to get these products, isn't it? I didn't have much time to hang around in that huge heaven of electronics. I just passed through some small stores which are not so good about products variety, the amount of products is totally limited.

Jul 27, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #7 of 16

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your supports! I'm really appreciate those, really! :)
But I think Frys electronics store is the best place to get these products, isn't it? I didn't have much time to hang around in that huge heaven of electronics. I just passed through some small stores which are not so good about products variety, the amount of products is totally limited.

No, Fry's is NOT the best place for these products (known as in-ear monitors or IEM around here). There are many excellent on-line vendors that offer much better alternatives that you won't find in a retail store, and most have decent return policies. I've had nothing but very positive experience with every on-line IEM vendor I've dealt with so far.

Read the comprehensive reviews linked previously in this thread. You've stated your budget, sound quality and music preferences, so now compare that to those reviews, and read other threads to get an idea about what folks with similar taste and plenty of IEM experience are recommending. Most IEM's will work fine straight out of an iPod, but read the detailed reviews to get an idea if an amplifier is recommended.

The budget you're suggesting has plenty of excellent choices, and check out the FS forum as well. You might find a bargain on a used IEM.

The Fischer Eternas recommended previously or Hippo VBs are both known as excellent IEMs with strong bass, or you might find a used Monster Turbine Pro Gold. The Panasonic HJE900 meets your budget and gets some rave reviews (after a decent burn-in), as does the Radius DDM, although that one is unlikely to be sleep-comfortable. My musical tastes are quite different from yours so my choices might not agree.

Jul 28, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #8 of 16
Thank you for your own valuable support, dfrost! :) Because I'm living in Portland, Oregon, so Frys is the only best place I've ever known about to get these IEMs. About online vendors, I've checked on some but my guts are telling me that it isn't a good ideain order to purchase these IEMs. And the reason was that I was tricked by a stranger on eBay.com, who offered me an Bose in - earphones with only 45 bucks, and all I received from him was a punch of trash, I was really angry and after then, I've decided myself not to purchase anything from online vendors. I'm willing to go to a real store and "discover" the thing I want to buy for my own good sake! :frowning2: 

Jul 28, 2010 at 1:07 PM Post #9 of 16
I personally would never consider an ebay purchase as typical of other on-line sales. If you insist on purchasing from retail, than expect to be limited in your choice (and pay more for a like item). Best Buy at least sells the Klipsch S4, which some folks around here love.

I have had superior experience from NuForce, MEElectronics, Jaben/Uncle Wilson's and Bugden Audio, (every on-line IEM vendor I've dealt with, including returns. J&R Music World (sells the HJE900 I mentioned previously) has been around the for a long time, and I've heard nothing but positives about them, too. Anything sold by Amazon.com includes a very strong return policy.

Obviously, I strongly disagree with your gut feeling about online vendors. Good luck.

Jul 28, 2010 at 1:46 PM Post #10 of 16
There are plenty of trustworthy sellers on the internet. Many of the best ones are sponsors of Head-Fi!

Jul 28, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:
Thank you for your own valuable support, dfrost! :) Because I'm living in Portland, Oregon, so Frys is the only best place I've ever known about to get these IEMs.

Lucky for you, 32 Ohm is located in Portland. They carry many higher-end earphones (certainly more than Frys or Best Buy) but you may be limited in budget options and buying online would still be cheaper in most cases.

Aug 2, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #13 of 16
if the site is a reputable reseller of a companies products and is even noted to be by the headphone company, than you know your safe
regular_smile .gif

I basically though would never buy from ebay for iem, exceptions are when a reputable distributor store is set up on there. Examples of this is Fischer audio and Radius has authentic distributors on ebay.

Also you would probably be safe if ordering a non famous headphone as there wont be copies and fakes. But never order any sennheisers or monster for example, lot and lots of fakes

Aug 17, 2010 at 8:12 AM Post #15 of 16
Hey guys, I've just found another option for myself. What do you think about the Monster Turbine High Performance In - Ear Speakers? I've read quite a lot of reviews from many trusted websites, such as CNET, Amazon, etc. Most of the reviews have pointed out the bass of this IEM is amazing and now I'm wondering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back