PLEASE HELP ME FINALLY PICK SOME HEADPHONES
May 23, 2012 at 7:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

charlie875578

Head-Fier
I listen to A LOT of Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band, Aerosmith, The Police, a lot of classic rock. I'll throw in a little bit of The Killers, Eminem, Goo Goo Dolls, to mix it up. I will be listening exclusively on my Macbook Pro which has a Fiio E10.
Great Soundstage really intrigues me. When I watch Springsteen concerts I want to feel like I'm there.

With that said, I'm looking at:

Beats Pro ( Just Kidding!)

Sennheiser HD598
Sennheiser HD600
Sennheinser HD650
Denon AHD2000
Denon AHD5000
Beyerdynamics DT880 (32? 250? or 600ohms?)
AKG K701

What would be my best bet for the music I listen to. 97% of my listening is classic rock. I just want to hear some opinions to help me narrow it down.

Thanks so much. 

May 23, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #5 of 28
More colorful than flat. I don't like too much bass but I like to know it's there. I like clarity and separation. Maybe this helps a little? I'm not a huge audiophile. Honestly, I got to see Springsteen in concert a couple months back for the first time and now I'm just trying everything I can to kind of relive that experience when I listen to his music. 

May 23, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #6 of 28
with your choices and with your current setup, and not upgrading anytime soon, i'd say go with the hd598.

scratch off hd600/650/k701 as they require an great amp to "shine", not to have "loud enough" volume.

also scratch the d2000/5000 as they have alot of bass and somewhat recessed midrange, and require modding (sometimes) to make it sound "better".

lastly, dt880... needs an amp as well for the 600 ohms, but i cant comment on the 32 and 250 ohm versions as i havent heard them yet.

May 23, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #7 of 28
I love my Grados the PS500 but if you are looking for an open soundstage headphone for a bit wider range of music the HD650 is hard to beat I've never heard them with the E10 but I think it should be able to power them well enough.  Grados tend to be very forward sounding with great vocals and recessed lows.  I'm not sure about the RS2i I've never heard them but I do feel my PS500 have better low range than other grados I've heard as well as a better soundstage which I suspect may be true of the RS2i as well.

But in the end so long as you have the power if you are looking to go with just one pair of headphones I would get the HD650 if you decide to get a pair of Grados then down the road the HD650 are a great compliment to them.

Bryan

May 23, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #8 of 28
For realistic sound, instrument separation and sound stage...go buy the he400. If you wanted to take it up a notch on those aspects that I mention and spend a lot more money try the he500 and and nice amp.

gL!!

May 23, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #9 of 28
I would pick the Denon D2000. Instrument separation is here, sometimes it can be a little bit too much. Soundstage is fine too, due to big drivers. It's a fun phone and your music will sound lively and fun too. Another great phone from the pack - Sennheiser HD 650, but its very polite phone, and your rock will sound very polite too, what is not good for rock.

May 23, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #15 of 28
I'm not too familiar with the Grados, honestly I always thought they looked ugly and cheap so I haven't paid them much attention. But I see a lot of people of here rave about them, especially for the music I originally mentioned. The RS2I are pretty expensive. Does Grado make anything a little cheaper that would also be superior to what I listed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back