PLEASE HELP ME FINALLY PICK SOME HEADPHONES
May 23, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #16 of 28
Quote:
I'm not too familiar with the Grados, honestly I always thought they looked ugly and cheap so I haven't paid them much attention. But I see a lot of people of here rave about them, especially for the music I originally mentioned. The RS2I are pretty expensive. Does Grado make anything a little cheaper that would also be superior to what I listed?

The Grados (and similar Alessandros) are made in the U.S.  The Grado SR line, which tops out with the 325, are excellent for rock, but don't have much of a soundstage.  They place you on stage sitting with the band.  For rocking your arse off the 325 paired with the right amp (that takes the brightness down just a bit) like the affordable hybrid (tube & solid state) HiFi Man EF2A is very tough to beat.

The 325 offers superior build quality, clarity, bass and a bit more sound stage than the 225 (and lower).

May 23, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #17 of 28
Quote:
I would spend more if justifiable, but not because something "looks better" or anything like that.

Going to the HD 650, RS2 and HE-500, you buy additional quality.  The questions are: are they worth the extra money to you; and will they require an upgrade in my equipment?

BTW--at the $300 level and up, I trust that you are using something better than mp3 or the like for your music.  If not, you may be spending too much on headphones given the quality of your music.

May 23, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #18 of 28
He400 for $360 coupon code

D5k for $385 shipped from EE with coupon code (just about 25 left)

These are both phenomenal headphones. Just depends on what you prefer. 

He400

Pros:

*tremendous sound stage
*beautifully layered sound
*instruments are distinctly separated and realistic

Cons:

*slightly heavy and can clamp hard until you bend the headband

D5k

*lush wonderfully textured sub-bass
*good soundstage for a closed hp
*incredibly comfortable and light

Cons:

*thick heavy cable

For rock I would probably pick the he400, but either would be very nice. Both are amps fairly easily and will run on the lowly fiio series with the e17 being the best of the bunch IMO.

gL!!

May 24, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #19 of 28
I tried HD650 , HE-400 and D5000/7000 with E11 and for me HD650 doesn't have enough bass comparing to others headphones so if you want comfort i would go with D5000 otherwise you could try HE-400 if you can handle them

May 24, 2012 at 6:47 AM Post #22 of 28
Quote:
 I just received the HE-400............outstanding. Pumping some powerful rock through these pups with great results. They're keepers.

Have the D5K on the way, be here Friday. What's your feeling with the swivel screw? Are you going to replace it or loctite it? Or did Denon beef it up to good enough?

I have had two pair of d2k and now two pair of d5k. I have yet to have any issue whatsoever with the screws..knocks on wood.

Congrats on the new stuff!! He400 and d5k are "perfect" as a complementary hp's. You really don't have a lot of room to grow beyond these two imo. The gains will be very small and very expensive. I have the same set and plan to enjoy mine for many years before I consider any changes. (stop thinking about the lcd-2 stop thinking about the lcd-2 stop thinking about the lcd-2) 
biggrin.gif

May 24, 2012 at 6:53 AM Post #23 of 28
Quote:
He400 for $360 coupon code

D5k for $385 shipped from EE with coupon code (just about 25 left)

These are both phenomenal headphones. Just depends on what you prefer. 

He400

Pros:

*tremendous sound stage
*beautifully layered sound
*instruments are distinctly separated and realistic

Cons:

*slightly heavy and can clamp hard until you bend the headband

D5k

*lush wonderfully textured sub-bass
*good soundstage for a closed hp
*incredibly comfortable and light

Cons:

*thick heavy cable

For rock I would probably pick the he400, but either would be very nice. Both are amps fairly easily and will run on the lowly fiio series with the e17 being the best of the bunch IMO.

gL!!

Hello MattTCG

Where do you get coupon code for HE-400 ?
I am too interested in getting one ...

thanks

May 24, 2012 at 6:56 AM Post #24 of 28
You may have to check the deals forum to get the current code. Moon audio has been running the coupon code for months. Please be aware that the coupon code price will withdraw you right to return them for a refund. The warranty is still intact as are exchanges. But hey, this is not a hp that you'd want to return anyway.

I'll hunt the coupon code down if possible.

gL!!

May 24, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #26 of 28
Okay, I found a couple of active codes from Moon Audio:

moonfreeship...free shipping
 ​
50off...this work for orders starting at $499​
 ​
Haven't found an active code for the $399 HFM but still looking.​

May 24, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #27 of 28
Quote:
You may have to check the deals forum to get the current code. Moon audio has been running the coupon code for months. Please be aware that the coupon code price will withdraw you right to return them for a refund. The warranty is still intact as are exchanges. But hey, this is not a hp that you'd want to return anyway.

I'll hunt the coupon code down if possible.

gL!!

Thanks

And if you have the code handy please let me know, the search function on this forum gave me all kind of results ...

Harry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back