Please help me feel better about and justify my purchase (A900LTD)
Mar 24, 2006 at 12:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, this is rather ironic. Just yesterday, I was the one saying the price difference between the A900 and A900LTD was not worth it, and that the A900LTD was only marginally better than the A900. Today, I just pulled the trigger on the A900LTD ($350) -- and I already have the A900 ($189). My wallet is really hurting right now, because not even two days ago, I also pulled the trigger on a PA2V2 and a cardas hpi interconnect ($67 total). And oh my sweet jesus in heaven. I just added that all up, it's over $600!!! Of course, I will sell my A900's as soon as I get the LTDs, and I will also probably have to end up selling my Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 speakers as well, which is actually not so bad, I hardly ever use them anymore and they take up A LOT of space in the small room that they're in. I'll also probably try selling my MDR-XD400. But still, this is a LOT of money here.

I know it pales in comparison to the guys here who have multiple high end cans, expensive amps, or even the HE-90s
orphsmile.gif
But still, to me it's way more than I should be spending on headphones. I do use my headphones extensively, so it's not like I'm getting these to sit and gather dust -- far from it, most days I use my headphones for over 3 hours. All the things I was reading about how the A900 did not have as detailed bass as the LTD, and how they had "back-seated" mids, I had been passing over. But just today, I sat down and took a careful listen. I can't say much about the bass, but as I listened armed with my new knowledge, the back seated mids became apparent to me, and I didn't care for it.

The best mids I have ever heard, came from the Shure E4. To date, I have not heard anything that came even close to the mids of the E4. Does the A900LTD have mids similar to those of the E4? If they do, that would be very comforting for me to know. Please, tell me all the advantages of the A900LTD over the A900, it will help me feel better about the purchase. Also, I have searched google and head-fi, but I can't seem to find any quality pictures of the A900LTD. Could you guys do me a favor and post some high-res or otherwise good quality pictures of the A900LTD? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks a lot guys.

Mar 24, 2006 at 1:12 AM Post #3 of 11
The opinions about the ATH-A900LTDs have been all over the map.

I love my A900LTDs even after attending a meet where I heard many of those headphones which people are drooling over now, K701 (they were very clear), HD650 straight and balanced, HD600(more of the same Senn house sound), SA5000 (clear and fast). I can see what people see in each of them. Now there is nothing wrong with this any of their house sounds, it is just not what I prefer, as I don't prefer the Grado sound either. The Senn and the Grado house sounds almost at opposite ends of the preference ranges around here and nothing in between seems to get billed as being worth anything from my observations. I am not sure where the AKG or Sony house sound goes within the preferences ranges. Over the weekend, the one phone that I liked as well as the A900LTD was the PF-1 ( hybrid between a PS-1 and HF-1 with blacksilver cable) a strange bird indeed. I must be a Audio-Technia sound type of guy.

You will have to learn what you like and find your sound. You have plenty of time to learn what you sound will be and probably over time that will change as well. Enjoy the journey of discovery, don't be in such a hurry.

I really enjoy the sound of my A900LTDs with my new Lavry DA10. I have written some things contrasting the construction differences between the A900 and the A900LTD which would indicate that they should be significantly different. One person who listened to my A900LTDs over the weekend stated that they reminded him of the "Leatherhead" (speaking of the ATH-L3000). I responded that the A900LTD is alleged to have the L3000 driver. This is something that I do not know for sure. I listened to the Leatherhead and I do hear the similarities.

Others here don't even appear to indicate that they know that their are any differences between the A900 and the A900LTD since they write as if they were one and the same headphones. So you have to get them and see for yourself.

I have also learned that the better source and better amp you have will make differences appear to be even bigger than they are now to you. The music makes a difference as to what you will prefer in the end. Grados apparently are rock phones from what I read here. Senn's I don't know, more laid back I guess. The AT sound is simply beautiful to me with the music I listen too; trance, instrumental, jazz, oriental, jazz and romantic vocals.

Mar 24, 2006 at 2:11 AM Post #4 of 11
As we discussed yesterday. You have to pay extra premium for some extra quality. As compare to my A500 with A900LTD there is lot of difference I would like to say. You may consider your A900's between both of them or at 40-60 ratio.

Bass quality.
20% improvement

Bass Impact.
10% less right now.

Mids
30% forward then A500

EDIT : Instruments life like effects.
Bit improved 20-40%
oops..... I was beyond limit

Instruments seperation.
15-20% better

I am not audiophile so expressing my judgments in my own way.

Mar 24, 2006 at 3:10 AM Post #5 of 11
Well, from the looks of it. It was not a total waste. I will just have to wait and see. Anyway, does anybody have any quality pictures of the A900LTD? I've been searching all over and can't find anything.

Mar 24, 2006 at 3:58 AM Post #10 of 11
Sorry that I can't help you with comparisons to other hi-fi cans, but I find the whole frequency spectrum pretty even. I don't really see the mids as too recessed... maybe just a tiny tiny bit, but increased detail and coherence with highs and lows make it unnoticeable (for me at least). Anyway, you can compare them to the regular A900s and sell one of them. I'll be interested in your impressions.
smily_headphones1.gif

P.S.
Maybe some people just don't like where the mids are placed within the soundstage? (I don't know, it just occurred to me and I have to listen carefully for that).

P.P.S.
In that close shot, the pleather looks a bit rough... it's actually very smooth in real-life.

Mar 24, 2006 at 7:05 AM Post #11 of 11
it depends on the user...

One user who had both the a900 and the ltd's said it was a night and day difference, while others say there is a small improvement... i haven't heard the a900's but I'm sure there will be a noticeable difference in overall performance...

Also the LTD's pads are made up of different material, and I find that your ears dont get hot (maybe just warm) but still very comfortable...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back