PLEASE HELP ME DECIDE. Westone 4R, CK100Pro or others...
May 9, 2013 at 4:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

KentoArsenal

New Head-Fier
I've been spending some time researching on my next IEM to buy and can't come to a decision. I am currently using the IE80 (with tape mod) and feel that it is somewhat lacking in details and the highs kinda too laid back. l have a finite budget as I am still a student of about $500. I was also looking into low-end customs like the UE4, JH5 and Heir Audio 3.A and was wondering how these customs compare to the above universals. Any help will be really appreciated!
biggrin.gif

May 10, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #2 of 5
Quote:
I've been spending some time researching on my next IEM to buy and can't come to a decision. I am currently using the IE80 (with tape mod) and feel that it is somewhat lacking in details and the highs kinda too laid back. l have a finite budget as I am still a student of about $500. I was also looking into low-end customs like the UE4, JH5 and Heir Audio 3.A and was wondering how these customs compare to the above universals. Any help will be really appreciated!
biggrin.gif

First off - (in case you haven't found this yet)- http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here)
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-279-iems-compared-audio-technica-ckm500-added-05-01-13-p-678

Can't answer on the customs front but the W4s are still rather laid-back, to these ears even more so against the Senns which have a slight peak. The CK100PROs though would be another story altogether. Massive amounts of treble, one of the sparkliest IEMs I've ever had, but the clarity is outstanding, both in terms of natural clarity and perceived clarity from the tonal aspects introduced by the treble. Sometimes it gets so clear that it manages to overwhelm the actual detailing, which is a vice. A nice in-between sort of compromise, if you don't mind something without warranty (as they've closed down shop) would be the PFE232. The UE900s might also work out as well.

May 10, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
First off - (in case you haven't found this yet)- http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here)
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-279-iems-compared-audio-technica-ckm500-added-05-01-13-p-678

Can't answer on the customs front but the W4s are still rather laid-back, to these ears even more so against the Senns which have a slight peak. The CK100PROs though would be another story altogether. Massive amounts of treble, one of the sparkliest IEMs I've ever had, but the clarity is outstanding, both in terms of natural clarity and perceived clarity from the tonal aspects introduced by the treble. Sometimes it gets so clear that it manages to overwhelm the actual detailing, which is a vice. A nice in-between sort of compromise, if you don't mind something without warranty (as they've closed down shop) would be the PFE232. The UE900s might also work out as well.

Yep. I've read that thread. From what I read, they say that the 4R is suited to all genre of music. I wont be able to get the PFE232s cheaply from my country unfortunately. I feel that the IE80s lack details in the treble department and was wondering if a switch to BA drivers would fix that which I don't mind sacrificing little bass quality. I will also be thinking of reshelling them in the future and the 'acoustic horn' of the CK100Pros might be gone if I do so? What am looking for is a neutral sounding IEM (Not like the ER4P though) with a slight emphasis on bass (ER4P's bass was just too little). I've used the CK90Pro MKII before also and do you know how they compare to the CK100Pros/4R?

May 11, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
Yep. I've read that thread. From what I read, they say that the 4R is suited to all genre of music. I wont be able to get the PFE232s cheaply from my country unfortunately. I feel that the IE80s lack details in the treble department and was wondering if a switch to BA drivers would fix that which I don't mind sacrificing little bass quality. I will also be thinking of reshelling them in the future and the 'acoustic horn' of the CK100Pros might be gone if I do so? What am looking for is a neutral sounding IEM (Not like the ER4P though) with a slight emphasis on bass (ER4P's bass was just too little). I've used the CK90Pro MKII before also and do you know how they compare to the CK100Pros/4R?

- Yes, reshelling would use only the drivers, anything else tech-wise would be lost out on (i.e. the horn).
- BAs don't necessarily constitute better/more present treble over a dynamic
- The 90's sig is rather disparate against either the ATs or the Westones, way more euphonic and pretty much comparing an apple to a whale. 
- My vote'd still be for the UE900s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back