Please Help Me Decide Rock/Home Theater Phones.......
Jun 17, 2004 at 2:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

TheeeChosenOne

Head-Fier
It seems to me that some of the best HT/Rock phones (open or closed) are the Grado sr225 or sr325, Audio Technica ATH-A900, Ultrasones HFI-650 Trackmaster or HFI-700 DVD, Beyerdynamics DT-770, Alesaandro MS-2, and Sennheiser HD 25-1.

Please help me decide among these or other of your favorites. I would also like it if the headphones can also handle the occasional jazz or classical CDs with equal aplomb.

I don't have a budget per se, but I'm not looking to go all out and buy $600 cans either....

Jun 17, 2004 at 3:06 PM Post #2 of 3
For rock headphones, my recommendation is for the SR-225. Out of the headphones you've mentioned, the only other one I've heard is the DT 770 and these Grados are much better for rock. The mids and highs of the Beyers are a bit too recessed for my tastes. This can be beneficial for certain types of music but not for rock, in my opinion.

I think classical music also sounds great on the SR-225 though maybe not quite as good as some others. I guess the one thing you sacrifice a bit is soundstage, which can be more important in classical than rock. Haven't heard jazz on them though I would think they'd sound great. I'd guess they'd sound like you're sitting right in front of the band. Surprisingly, the SR-225s aren't nearly as harsh as I'd imagined them to be, which might've been a concern for jazz. At least paired with a Perreaux. Considering they are such bright and forward cans, the Grados are far less harsh to me than say, the V6's.

Jun 17, 2004 at 3:37 PM Post #3 of 3
I personally think the Grado's lack of soundstage is no good for movies, so scratch them right away.

If you've watching's movies you'll likely want more comfortable cans (another strike againt the Grados), so the HD25-1 and Ultrasones might not be the best options, since they're not nearly as comfy as the remaining two contenders.

DT770: HUGE bass, nice but somewhat recessed mids, slightly harsh highs, very good soundstage for closed cans, very comfortable (not hot due to velour pads), a bit hard to drive without an amp (unless you get the 80ohm version from guitar center). IMO: very funs cans, but not good all-arounders becuase of the huge bass which can get annoying on some songs or after a long while.

A900: Very good bass, emphasized mids (borders on nasal), barely harsh highs, very good soundstage for closed cans, SUPER comfortable (might get a little warm with the pleather pads), can be driven by almost anything. IMO: Better all-around cans than the DT770, the best comfort I've tried, but nowhere near the power in the bass, not as good of frequency extension, mids have a certain flavor that wasn't up my alley.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back