Please help me choose the right headphones on my $250 budget
Apr 12, 2002 at 6:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Cans

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I am in the market for a new pair of headphones. I don't have the budget for an outboard amp (yet), so I will be limited to something that I can run off my Denon AVR3300's headphone jack, but still want to purchase a quality pair of headphones.

I listen to primarily heavy metal (Alice in Chains, Godsmack, Sevendust, etc), but a lot of "easier listenting" (Sting, Phil Collins, Beatles). I really like the style of headphone that completely encloses the ear.

A couple qustions I have are:

Senn HD600 are something I am closely looking at. Being 300ohms, what does that mean in regards to using an A/V receivers headphone jack?

Some of the Senn's I am looking at are open backed (sorry for an improper terms) rather than a closed style. I currently have a pair old Sony Studio Monitors that are closed in nature and emit very little sound outside the headphone so as not to create an disturbance to people around me. Do open back style headphones like the HD600 do good in this department? I don't want to create too much sound so as to disturb my spouse who might be reading on the couch next to me.

Thank you in advance.

Apr 12, 2002 at 6:54 PM Post #2 of 27
Hi Cans, welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet!

The sennheiser HD 600's do emit quite alot of noise, as do all open headphones. The trade off is that the sound is amazing! Maybe you should look at the beyerdynamics for a closed design, or if open doesn't bother you, look at the Sennheiser HD580's (almost exactly the same as the HD600's until you get a really high end amp) and get JMT to build you an amp for them. this way you will be under your $250 buget and can start thinking about upgrades.

The other option is watch the "gear for sale" section here and find a deal on some used stuff.

either way, this is sure a fun way to spend your hard earned $$

cheers,

Apr 12, 2002 at 7:37 PM Post #3 of 27
The HD600 needs quality amplification to really sing, which only deadicated headphone amps and certain high end pre/integrated amps can do. But they are phenominal in terms of sound enjoyability, I've no doubt you'll be amazed by how good they sound out of anything. They get my best rating.
smily_headphones1.gif
There's absolutely no wrong in going with the HD600... Good amplification can come later. However, I think that the source makes the most significant change.

Apr 12, 2002 at 8:05 PM Post #4 of 27
Audio/2Channel,

Thank you both for your comments. So, just to clarify, the 1/4 inch headphone jack on my Denon will power a 300ohm headphone? I ask because on headphone.com it says:

Quote:

The 600s have a 300 ohm impedance, so an amp is needed with these headphones

I was worried as it says "needed". I understand a headphone amp is going to be a must to get the full potential out of the 600's, but I just wanted to also confirm that an amp is not needed to actually use them. Should I look into the Denon manual to find out if it can support 300ohms? Its just all a little confusing since headphones vary so much on inpedance levels... don't know what is usable and what isn't with a/v receivers.

Apr 12, 2002 at 8:14 PM Post #5 of 27
Cans,
My HD 600's sound better than anything else I have ever heard when connected directly to my Yamaha headphone jack. When connected to say a headroom supreme, they are in a whole different world. I think you will be amazed by the HD600 sound straight out of your receiver, but when you get an amp, you will have to upgrade your whole home system b/c it will sound like a transistor radio!

in other words, I wouldn't wory about your dennon not being able to feed these hungry things, they will just continue to get better and better the more clean power they get.

cheers

Apr 12, 2002 at 8:48 PM Post #8 of 27
Cans
Do also give the Beyerdynamic DT931 a listen, it is a fine headphone and while open in construction it does not overly
intrude with sound leakage.

Setmenu

Apr 12, 2002 at 9:29 PM Post #9 of 27
For Heavy Metal and Rock I wouldn't use a headphone like the Senn HD600. I would use a closed headphone like the Beyer DT 770. It's an excellent headphone for Rock. Another good closed headphone is the JVC HA-DX3. Both of these would be better than the Senn HD600 for the type of music you listen to. I don't know what Denon is using in the 3300 but my 1700s headphone section totally sucks. I would suggest an amp. The price of the 2 closed headphones that I suggested would leave some money for a DIY amp from JMT. Just send him an email or a PM and I'm sure he can build one for you that won't cost too much and would sound better than the Denon.

Apr 12, 2002 at 10:22 PM Post #12 of 27
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet, but for the type of music you listen to Grados seem like they would be the best fit. Especially since they are only a 32 ohm headphone, perfect since you do not want a headphone amp right now. They do leak some of the sound though since they are open, no more than the HD600 though.

Apr 12, 2002 at 10:28 PM Post #13 of 27
I do agree, Satori.....maybe some 225's. His preference is metal. However, they may be too leaky ....
confused.gif

I'm afraid the Beyers won't have enough bass response.

Apr 12, 2002 at 11:15 PM Post #15 of 27
Satori,

I've looked at the Grado's - the 225's specifically - but they don't look like they'll totally enclose your ear... other words, cup it as the Senns do.

As I mentioned before I have a pair of Sony Studio Monitor MDR-V6 and I really like how they totally cover my ear.

Though to be fair, I have never tried on a pair of Grado's... Can only speculate about their shape from the pitures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back