Please help me choose ! can't decide for a second week already
Feb 9, 2015 at 9:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

gugman

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi all

I am like have spent last 2 weeks reading a lot and researching ( special huge thank goes to Xdaggersoul for all his help) but still can't make the final decision
so far these are my options

Schiit Magni Uber & Modi 2 Uber
Audio GD NFB-15  
Racoon SG 300
Xduoo TA-01
Teralink X2 & Ha Info DA1
Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 Plus or Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 Plus DAC w/ OPA627 OpAmp & GE5670W Tube
Audioengine D1

headphones to be used with the setup Beyerdynamic dt 990 pro
source would be my pc and I have xonar dg installed in it so can use digital output as well 
portability does not matter, 95% music that is in my collection is in flac format, will buy good quality usb and opt. as well

any advise will be very helpful !!!
thanx in advance  

Feb 9, 2015 at 10:56 PM Post #2 of 28
I would probably pick either the Schiit or the Audio-gd, and between those two, I would probably buy the Audio-gd. Why? I don't know - probably because I have always thought the Audio-gd seemed like a really nice DAC/amp - very high quality parts put together into a nice package at a reasonable price.

Feb 10, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #4 of 28
thanx. so, so far Audio-gd according to you

found 2 more options, but I am not sure how good they are

Audiotrak Prodigy Cube Black Edition
http://audiotrack.net/en/usb/4009

and Meridian Explorer

Feb 10, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #5 of 28
USB powered DACs like Meridian Explorer are not comparable headphone amps to plugin desktop amps like Audio-GD or Schiit since they are much more limited by how much power that they can draw. You should decide whether or not you need transportability like that.

Never heard of the Audiotrack. You could take one for the team and buy it. Or you could stick with the amp/dacs that are popularly recommended and discussed on Head-Fi. Google amp/dac models with "head-fi" as a keyword, and you'll be able to find out which ones have been owned by many head-fi members and are strongly recommended. Seems that's a good way to limit the field.

Feb 10, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #6 of 28
objective2 by mayflower + Fostex T50RP Version 3 and later i can buy some good dac as well, what about this combination?

p.s. cel4145 thank you so much for provided info !

Feb 11, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #8 of 28
I think you can go with the Audio GD, Schiit stack or an O2+ODAC combo and should be fine.  I know you want the best you can get, but it seems like at this point you'd just be splitting hairs and are looking too much into it.  Get some good gear and enjoy your music 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 11, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #9 of 28
  I think you can go with the Audio GD, Schiit stack or an O2+ODAC combo and should be fine.  I know you want the best you can get, but it seems like at this point you'd just be splitting hairs and are looking too much into it.  Get some good gear and enjoy your music 
smily_headphones1.gif

hahahaha, exactly where i am !!!

so i really narrowed my options to two. schiit stack (uber versions) or objective2 by mayflower plus ODAC – Stand Alone by mayflower
headphones either Fostex T50RP Version 3 (mayflower mod) or Beyerdynamic dt 990 pro 250 ohm

what to do ?  : (  help me people :)

Feb 11, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #10 of 28
There are plenty of comparison on this site between the original Magni and O2, most people think there isn't much of a difference.  The Uber should sound better than the original, has more power than O2, and has preamp outputs, not to mention the better aesthetics.

Feb 11, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #11 of 28

hahahaha, exactly where i am !!!

so i really narrowed my options to two. schiit stack (uber versions) or objective2 by mayflower plus ODAC – Stand Alone by mayflower
headphones either Fostex T50RP Version 3 (mayflower mod) or Beyerdynamic dt 990 pro 250 ohm

what to do ?  : (  help me people :)

Buy something. You have already missed out on two weeks of music. LOL

Feb 11, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #12 of 28
  Buy something. You have already missed out on two weeks of music. LOL

LoL 
biggrin.gif

p.s. but i did not, using jds cmoybb 2.03 with LM4562NA/NOPB

Feb 13, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #13 of 28
ok, so i bought Objective2 Rear Power Bamboo (first choice was magni 2 uber but could not agree with them on a small thing before ordering)

should i go for ODAC Stand Alone in this case, or there is a better dac option under 200 usd? 

Feb 14, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #15 of 28
OP, I guess I'm a little late posting, as the O2 with the DT990pro can be a tiring-sounding combo. As such, I'd suggest the warmest, least grainy DAC you can find. Which, I have no idea.

as I did not order dt 990 pro yet, what would be your suggestion in this case?
thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back