Please, help me choose between ATH M40x and Samson SR950!
Jan 28, 2021 at 12:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

lucasdepalma

New Head-Fier
Hi! I'm from Argentina and I'm looking for a pair of headphones for gaming and casual listening to music and watching movies and TV shows; which one of these would you recommend? I need them to be closed-back, and the price of them (in US dollars) here in Argentina are:

· Samson SR950: $44

· ATH M40x: $122

I'll be using them on a PC (motherboard Gigabyte B450M Gaming - which has the *sob* Realtek ALC887 :sob:). Sadly I don't have the budget for an AMP+DAC combo (those things here are impossibly expensive).

Are the M40x's much more worth it than the SR950's? I mean, there's quite a price gap there.

Thank you in advance for your help! :relaxed:

Jan 28, 2021 at 1:50 AM Post #2 of 8
I would go for the Samson SR950.
ATH-M40X might be more durable, but you can order two of the SR950, to have a spare.
Here is a low cost ($30) USB DAC, which should be better then the ALC887.
https://hifimediy.com/product/sabre-dac-uae23/

Jan 28, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #3 of 8
I would go for the Samson SR950.
ATH-M40X might be more durable, but you can order two of the SR950, to have a spare.
Here is a low cost ($30) USB DAC, which should be better then the ALC887.
https://hifimediy.com/product/sabre-dac-uae23/
Thank you so much for your help! It's actually great advice. I'll do that, I'll just have to find a similar USB DAC since that brand is not here in Argentina. Again, thank you PurpleAngel :raised_hands:

Jan 28, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #4 of 8
Thank you so much for your help! It's actually great advice. I'll do that, I'll just have to find a similar USB DAC since that brand is not here in Argentina. Again, thank you PurpleAngel :raised_hands:
I would assume Hifimediy would ship their DACs to Argentina.
Like your country, great tasting beef.

Jan 28, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #5 of 8
I would assume Hifimediy would ship their DACs to Argentina.
Like your country, great tasting beef.
(Thanks for that comment ♥)

So, I got them, I've just tried them and yeah, even though they sound great, I feel like they will be SO MUCH better if I had something else besides the ALC887.

Would you recommend this? I know it's pretty generic.

https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.a...cking_id=ed3a407c-c8dc-4fa8-9ffc-2a2d19aafe17

If not, I was gonna get an Asus Xonar DGX or DSX, or a SoundBlasterX G1, but those cost as much as the headphones...

Jan 28, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #6 of 8
(Thanks for that comment ♥)
So, I got them, I've just tried them and yeah, even though they sound great, I feel like they will be SO MUCH better if I had something else besides the ALC887.
Would you recommend this? I know it's pretty generic.
https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.a...cking_id=ed3a407c-c8dc-4fa8-9ffc-2a2d19aafe17
If not, I was gonna get an Asus Xonar DGX or DSX, or a SoundBlasterX G1, but those cost as much as the headphones...
I think the sound card in the link is a great budget sound card, for it's price ($30)
I would take it over the Asus DGX and would assume it could roughly equal the DSX in sound quality (best guess).
But the $30 Hifimediy USB DAC would come with a better DAC function.

Jan 29, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #7 of 8
I think the sound card in the link is a great budget sound card, for it's price ($30)
I would take it over the Asus DGX and would assume it could roughly equal the DSX in sound quality (best guess).
But the $30 Hifimediy USB DAC would come with a better DAC function.
Thank you so much again, I mean it, you're a genius.

I guess I'll do that, or save some money and get a Fiio that I can use with both the PC and the mobile phone. Something like the E10k. But I'll stay away from the Asus Xonar, I hear you. Thank you, once again, thank you very much.

Jan 29, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #8 of 8
Thank you so much again, I mean it, you're a genius.

I guess I'll do that, or save some money and get a FiiO that I can use with both the PC and the mobile phone. Something like the E10k. But I'll stay away from the Asus Xonar, I hear you. Thank you, once again, thank you very much.
I like Asus Xonar sound cards, I have the DG, DS, DX, STX cards, but stopped using them years ago when I went external.
I like FiiO stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back