Please Help me choose a headphone from this website.... AH-D7000, HD650, DT880, DT990, T70
Oct 15, 2011 at 11:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Chezzy79

100+ Head-Fier
I have recently received a $250 gift card to bhphotovideo.com, and since I'm a huge music lover without a decent pair of headphone I chose to invest my money on a quality pair of headphones.  I don't have too much money as I am currently a college student, so the most I can spend on the headphone is $500 including my gift card (not to mention I'm getting a $260 iBasso D6 amp too).

Anyways the main use of the cans will be for:
Laptop (FLAC) > iBasso D6 > Headphones 
iPhone > 30 pin line out > iBasso D6 > Headphones

I mainly listen to hip hop (both new and old), rock (anywhere from 1950's to early 2000's, all kinds of them from the Beatles, AC/DC, Linkin Park to Three Days Grace), dubstep and classical (baroque).  Leakage of sound from an open back headphone will not be an issue since I rarely study in a library.  Anyways, here are few of the notable deals I found in that website:

Denon AH-D7000 - $740
Denon AH-D5000 - $500
Sennheiser HD650 - $350 (but is temporarily out of stock)
Beyerdynamic T70 or T70p - $569
Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium 600 ohm - $279
Beyerdynamic DT880 (any ohm) - $300

These are the top deals I found on the site... If you happen to find anything that I should get instead (not limited to headphones, maybe like a headphone amp so I can get a better deal from other website) please let me know.

Any input is greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance! 

Oct 15, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #3 of 13
Malveaux, thanks for constantly offering me advice.  In the other thread you recommended me a pair of DT990's, which I'm considering getting because it is a little cheaper than the DT880.  Would you care to share you insight on how the DT990 will stack up against the other headphones like DT880, HD650 or AH-D5000?  Sine I am spending $260 on a headphone amp I don't have too much money on spend on the headphone, and I want one that I will not regret getting.  If I get the AH-D5000's I will probably always wonder about getting the AH-D7000.  But I'm also really interested in getting the Ah-D5000 so I am in quite a pickle right now... I have considered getting the K702/701 but $350 for those is not a good deal at all...

Thank you!

Oct 15, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #4 of 13
Do you need noise isolation?

Oct 15, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #5 of 13

Quote:
Do you need noise isolation?

sound isolation is not a important factor in this case but it'll be nice if I don't have to hear outside noises.  The headphone will be used primarily for home use but I live in a fraternity so it's always noisy.

Oct 20, 2011 at 4:54 PM Post #6 of 13

Quote:

sound isolation is not a important factor in this case but it'll be nice if I don't have to hear outside noises.  The headphone will be used primarily for home use but I live in a fraternity so it's always noisy.

the d7000 is essentially a suped up d2000 with woodies and a more balanced tone. You could make an equal or better sounding headphone with the d2000, the markl mod, and a jenna labs custom rewire. you could even get your own custom woodies all bundled in that price for around the same as the d7000 stock. 

if you dont want to do any work or even send it somewhere else for mods, like markl's mod site himself, a d5000 would be a nice compromise. 

Oct 20, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #7 of 13
hmm I think I've made up my mind about getting the HD650 if it restocks, but if not I don't know if I should get DT880 or D5000.  But the honestly T70p sounds really tempting too although I'd have to save up for at least few more weeks for those.  

Btw I just bought iBasso D6 amp/DAC but which pair of headphone do you think is the best match?  I heard that it is great for pretty much all the above but I don't know how it will react with a sensitive cans like T70p

Oct 20, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #8 of 13

Quote:
hmm I think I've made up my mind about getting the HD650 if it restocks, but if not I don't know if I should get DT880 or D5000.  But the honestly T70p sounds really tempting too although I'd have to save up for at least few more weeks for those.  

Btw I just bought iBasso D6 amp/DAC but which pair of headphone do you think is the best match?  I heard that it is great for pretty much all the above but I don't know how it will react with a sensitive cans like T70p

You aren't trying to buy it retail from sennheiser are you? Street price for hd650's new should be in the ballpark of $325-350...dont pay any more than that. 

iBasso d6 is a portable amp, your going to want to upgrade eventually for the hd650's but it will make a significantly positive difference at the start. 

I still dont think you've settled out what sound signature your looking for. dx000's are bass heavier, slightly recessed mids, emphasized highs (v curve), hd650's are what i would call a "slant" curve, because they have strong bass and lush mids and slightly rolled off highs which i think is absolutely perfect, dt880's are neutral and while they are technically proficient cans they kind of test the waters of both open and closed back headphones, and arent really the best or worst of either. Very neutral, flat, pretty bright, and decent bass for a open can, but nothing like the dx000's bass, and probably not more than the hd650's\

In order of the cans that i think suit you:

1.) Denon ah-d2000 modded or unmodded or ah-d5000
2.) HD 650's
3.) Beyer dt880's.

The dt770 pro 250ohm might be a good alternative to the ah-dx000 but I think denon masters the v curve a bit better

Oct 20, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #9 of 13

Quote:
You aren't trying to buy it retail from sennheiser are you? Street price for hd650's new should be in the ballpark of $325-350...dont pay any more than that. 

iBasso d6 is a portable amp, your going to want to upgrade eventually for the hd650's but it will make a significantly positive difference at the start. 

I still dont think you've settled out what sound signature your looking for. dx000's are bass heavier, slightly recessed mids, emphasized highs (v curve), hd650's are what i would call a "slant" curve, because they have strong bass and lush mids and slightly rolled off highs which i think is absolutely perfect, dt880's are neutral and while they are technically proficient cans they kind of test the waters of both open and closed back headphones, and arent really the best or worst of either. Very neutral, flat, pretty bright, and decent bass for a open can, but nothing like the dx000's bass, and probably not more than the hd650's

There's no way I'd be able to afford HD650 at retail price... the price on the website was $350, which is actually a pretty good deal for a unopened, brand new HD650.  Right now I'm negotiating for a pair of Ultrasone Pro 900 (hopefully I can get it for less than $330) but I'm gonna call up B&H on Sunday to see how soon they will restock it.  

But HD650 is definitely my top choice right now with an exception of Pro 900 (not from B&H website).  Those two are probably the most practical and affordable headphones I can get right now.

Oct 20, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #10 of 13
IME, the Denon 2000 had more than slightly recessed mids.  If vocals (and classical as well) are important at all to you, then I would steer clear; I couldn't bare the D2000s and returned them after 2 weeks.

I currently have the DT 880/250 and the AKG K702.  The K702s are everything I've ever wanted in a pair of headphones; profound clarity and detail; wide and deep soundstage, and tight/natural-sounding bass.  I was expecting an overly analytical and somewhat lifeless sound as well as insufficient bass after reading the feedback here; I'm happy to say that neither of those are the case.  I know it's widely suggested to not go for the K702s for dubstep and rock, but I honestly think even those genres sound much better on the K702s than my DT880 or the Denon 2000s that I used to have.

The DT880, for the most part, is known for all the things I described in the K702s, but the K702s are on a whole different level, IMO.  The clarity and separation cannot be matched by the DT880s. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back