Please help me choose 1 of these 4 dusty turntables
Sep 10, 2009 at 11:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Mailliw

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

In my parents basement, there are 4 old dusty turntables. Condition aside, which would you choose as your player? I'd rather avoid the hassle of having to audition them all.

Sony PST15 (Made in Korea)
Philips 212 Electronic (Made in Holland)
Toshiba SR310 (Made in Japan)
Pioneer PL300 (Made in Japan)

My heart tells me to go with Holland! But the Sony PST15 and Pioneer PL300 are on the "Low Budget Vinyl Source" thread list.

Thanks buds!

Sep 11, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #4 of 8
The Pioneer.

Sep 11, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #5 of 8
How about "Eeny, meeny, miny, moe..."?
biggrin.gif

Sep 12, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #6 of 8
I would also choose the Pioneer. Just be aware that it's very susceptible to vibration and acoustic feedback which can muddy the lower midrange and bass and cause mis-tracking.
If you find that you can't isolate the table properly then you may be better off with the Philips. The Philips is a suspended belt drive which can be tuned to be less susceptible to vibration and feedback.

I personally don't like the Sony and the Toshiba is unremarkable.

Sep 12, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #7 of 8
I have had experience with some of those listed. The answer is simple and really important. You do have to try them all. That is it. There will be a major sound difference that will not take you long to figure out. There is a chance that one does not work that well. If you find this stuff fun then it should be fun to try them. Just get an amp a set of headphones an LP and get er done!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back