**:PLEASE HELP, GREATLY APPRECIATED!::** CLOSED HEADPHONES, BASS LOVER!! 56K = NO!
Oct 28, 2008 at 9:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

jahlivity

New Head-Fier
Alright, after countless nights spent researching headphones, audiophiles, and other aspects of sound on head-fi.org, google, and headroom...

I have finally come to the conclusion that I will post a new thread and let you decide what new headphones I should pick up!
I had the basic SONY MDR-V250 for a year or two. for the price, these headphones (AT THE TIME) were decent. they were reliable, durable, produced 20.99 sound and I used the s**t out of them. They were taken around with me everywhere, thrown and pulled in and out of my backpack along with other textbooks, etc. numerous times. They finally broke around three months ago and I decided to treat myself to a decent pair of headphones since I listen to music daily, with or without headphones.

I spent every SINGLE night, for around a week... researching new headphones and the best quality and BASSS for the price. I love bass but also wouldn't want to sacrifice all quality for it.
It boiled down to the sennheiser 212's, hd205s, and sony mdr-v700djs which I found on ebay for ~50-100? but later realized a lot of fakes were circling and therefore steered clear!

I picked up the SENNHEISER HD 205 DJ'S for around 60? on amazon.com and they were pretty good. IN the beginning they were extremely tight (my hat size is around 7 5/8) and 30 mins - an hour use would leave my ears stinging and would eventually turn into a headache. The sound quality was overall decent and after being able to stretch them out (on a football overnight) I used them thrice++ daily. After listening to a pair of real headphones, I vowed to never again buy cheap, sh**ty 19.99 headphones!

2-3 MONTHS LATER....
ONE night I am listening to them while lying in bed, trying to fall asleep. I am about to fall asleep so I take them off and put them on my nightstand. I wake up, get ready for class, grab my stuff including the 30GB ipod video and my sennheiser hd205s like any usual day and go to class. I plug them in and turn on some bob marley and ALL OF A SUDDEN THE SOUND QUALITY IS HORRIBLE. They are scratchy, the highs sounds like a four year old with a ball of saran wrap in his mouth while trying to sing, mids sound soft as hell, and the bass is practically gone. AFTER a whole day of anger and deliberation, I realize the problem is a faulty connection. The gold plug going into the ipod is fine, however the connection at the top of the plug, (plastic wire to plastic plug) when moved around makes the sound quality better but not what it used to be. These headphones were not treated harshly as I did to my sony mdr-v250s at ALLL. They were always babied and I take care of all of my equipment. I monitored a break in period and left them ON and on repeat at middle volume for about a week straight before actually trying to push them. Physically, they were ALWAYS either on my head or placed on a desk. NEVER in a backpack, NEVER with books on top, NEVER any pressure on them at all! ALL IN ALL, the cable has a faulty connection and I can't find a replacement cord anywhere.

Heres where the real fun starts !!
smily_headphones1.gif

I love music, movies, games, and high quality sounds in general but I wouldn't necessarily call myself an 'audiophile' because after countless years of max-ing out every pair of headphones i've owned, in an attempt to drag out the bass and punch in them, my hearing is well, the slightest bit impaired. NOW.. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE BASS. While not rocking headphones on the laptop, I crank the sub to the max with my logitech z5500 for various games, movies, and music daily. [size=large]I LOVE BASSSSSSS[/size]

I mostly listen to REAL HIP-HOP, rap, REGGAAEE, ska, and occasionally some rock/oldies and TECHNO/HOUSE/TRANCE!!

I LOVE BASS! BASS BASS BASS!!! however, I would sacrifice a very, very small amount of bass for sound quality and vice versa. THEY don't necessarily have to be koa-coated headphones, but fashion-wise I would like them to look somewhat decent. I was always known in high school as the kid rocking the huge headphones in the hallways.

ONE OF MY roommates just picked up the sony mdr-v600's for $90? and I can honestly say those headphones are probably the most comfortable (OUT OF THE BOX) I have ever tried on. However, the thinness of the ear-cup and padding, leads to leakage of sound and outside noises also interfere with the quality of sound. After listening to them for 20+ hours, I found myself tampering with the volume of almost every sound in order to pull the real sound (including bass) out of them. This led to never actually being able to match them (quality and bass-wise) with my HD205's.
frown.gif

ANOTHER one of my roommates has the bose on-ear headphones. These are extremely LIGHT-WEIGHT and very comfortable on head. However they are so light that sometimes when skating, running, or turning head to scope out a female, they feel as if they might fall off. The smaller BOSE on-ear headphones don't adequately cover my larger than average ears and therefore again, sound leaks in and out and the only way to truely be one with the sound is to turn them to the max. FOr $180.00, I believe these headphones are a huge rip-off and would never consider buying them.

NOT GONNA LIE, i'ma bit brand biased and USED to favor sennheiser and beyerdynamics(because of countless reviews read regarding their bass levels) however I CAN'T SEE MYSELF dropping $100+ on a pair of headphones if they are going to break in a 2-3 months like my sennheisers did. I thought $60+ was a lot and they only lasted 2-3 months.... >
frown.gif

Basically, I love BASS and quality sound. I would consider dropping around $80.00 on a pair of headphones, however probably not another pair of sennheisers seeing that mine broke in 2-3 months. I am also skeptical in paying for the AKG DJ 81'S and DENON'S because these brands I have never ever ever heard of, know absolutely nothing about, and feel like they would break quicker than a more reputable brand like sennheiser or sony.

PLEASE RECOMMEND THE HEADPHONES FOR ME!!!

Oct 28, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #2 of 59
Darth Beyers. Read a little on them and maby thats the phone you want

Oct 28, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #3 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by jahlivity /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=large]I LOVE BASSSSSSS[/size]

Definitely take another look at the HD212pro, they have replaceable cables and they are the bassiest headphones I've used. I've had mine for almost a year now with pretty heavy use and they're still going strong. I think they go for around $50 on amazon.

Oct 28, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #4 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by HippieTom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Darth Beyers. Read a little on them and maby thats the phone you want

THOSE look absolutely lovely. I would definitely love to pickup the KOA ones. However, as stated before I don't feel like spending anything more than around $80.00?

Oct 28, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #5 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by turboflame /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Definitely take another look at the HD212pro, they have replaceable cables and they are the bassiest headphones I've used. I've had mine for almost a year now with pretty heavy use and they're still going strong. I think they go for around $50 on amazon.

I actually forgot to mention that I had a pair of these. I picked them up in seattle a while ago for about 50.00 from a Fry's electronics. The fact that you can slide the ear cups up and down and the majority of the casing is plastic led to them slipping for no apparent reason.

Oct 28, 2008 at 10:24 PM Post #7 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by vkvedam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you need just Bass, get Bose Triports Around The Ear version.

I prefer closed-headphones and preferably not bose. I just think they're too overrated and you're just paying for the brand name

Oct 28, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #12 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by budman90 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
those dt770's have an impedance rating of 250 ohms. So, in other words, you wouldn't be able to run them straight out of an ipod.

Much thanks for the heads up, you just saved me $108.

any recommendations around $50? No more than $80 max please!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 28, 2008 at 10:52 PM Post #13 of 59
Dude save another few dollars and get the M-Audio Q40. You will not be sorry.
Bags of thick, punchy, focused bass; tons of detail; easy to drive (your iPod will have no problem getting these to go loud when you want it to, unlike the DT770).

Mine cost $90 on eBay.

'nough said.

:EDIT:
Oh sorry, a your last post came in while I was typing mine. Still, I would urge you to wait a couple of weeks and save another 10 bucks - is that so hard?
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 28, 2008 at 10:54 PM Post #14 of 59
Just get the Beyerdynamic DT770 (Amazon has a really good sale). It's a bit higher than your budget, but you'll be happier in the long run. I think I saw the Beyerdynamic DT 770 for $108.08. I think there is a 10 dollar buy it later deal so you could get them for $98.08. Go for it. Run don't walk. I think this could be the answer to your sonic prayers.

You'll need an amp. Perhaps a Fii0 would work (about 10 bucks or so with shipping). It's a little amp, just plug and play. It seems to work with high impedence cans. A plus for you is that it tends to boast the bass.

Now, the DT770 might work straight into your ipod (which would be okay, until you can afford to amp it--best amp deal is the HeadroomTotal Airhead for 100 bucks and there are other fine choices but you'll have to quiz others on this as I am only familiar with the Total Airhead/Total Bithead and Decware Zen Head, oh and the Fii0).

It doesn't take much to empty one's wallet. Sigh. Stick with us and we'll help you spend your lolly...all of it and then some.

Saw the 80 dollar max. Open cans I can recommend, but closed??? How about Yuin Pk2's. Glorious Chinese airbuds. Got my wife a pair and she's thrilled with them. Good bass. Good overall sound. And no need to amp. There are other Yuin options under or at the 80 dollar mark. Check them out.

Cheers!

Oct 28, 2008 at 11:08 PM Post #15 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by yashicaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just get the Beyerdynamic DT770 (Amazon has a really good sale). It's a bit higher than your budget, but you'll be happier in the long run. I think I saw the Beyerdynamic DT 770 for $108.08. I think there is a 10 dollar buy it later deal so you could get them for $98.08. Go for it. Run don't walk. I think this could be the answer to your sonic prayers.

You'll need an amp. Perhaps a Fii0 would work (about 10 bucks or so with shipping). It's a little amp, just plug and play. It seems to work with high impedence cans. A plus for you is that it tends to boast the bass.

Now, the DT770 might work straight into your ipod (which would be okay, until you can afford to amp it--best amp deal is the HeadroomTotal Airhead for 100 bucks and there are other fine choices but you'll have to quiz others on this as I am only familiar with the Total Airhead/Total Bithead and Decware Zen Head, oh and the Fii0).

It doesn't take much to empty one's wallet. Sigh. Stick with us and we'll help you spend your lolly...all of it and then some.

Saw the 80 dollar max. Open cans I can recommend, but closed??? How about Yuin Pk2's. Glorious Chinese airbuds. Got my wife a pair and she's thrilled with them. Good bass. Good overall sound. And no need to amp. There are other Yuin options under or at the 80 dollar mark. Check it out.

Cheers!

I would be primarily using these headphones for on the go purposes. to and from class, on long train, bus and particularly airplane rides so an AMP is also out of the question.

As mentioned earlier, I don't plan on going outside the budget of $50-$80.00. I just can't see myself spending that much on headphones that will possibly break in 2-3 months just like my sennheiser hd205's. I literally listened to them while falling asleep, took them off and placed them on my nightstand, fell asleep, woke up and put them on and they didn't work. The cord on the sennheiser hd205's is horribly weak and it was a tremendous waste of $60-$70 or whatever I paid... If i saved up and purchased the dt770s like you said and they broke a month or two later like the hd205's..

i would probably go to amazon and inflict extreme amounts of bodily harm on any employee i could get my hands on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back