Please Help - Closed cans, circumaural, good soundstage, around $300
May 21, 2016 at 6:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

misteral201103

500+ Head-Fier
Hi Head-Fiers,

Fairly long time lurker, joined up to request help on this.
I know there are a lot of threads dealing with my dilemma, I have read MANY and still stuck!!

Ok, I'll try to keep this brief!

I have a Fiio X5, a Cayin C5 portable amp and ATH M50X cans. I love the sound from this set up but I'm looking to add an alternative set of closed circumaural headphones with a better soundstage.

Am I an audiophile? Not sure, but I am a theatre sound man, and dabble in home production, so I listen actively.

I listen to a very wide range of music - jazz, blues, EDM, classical, pop, etc etc. Thanks to Alison Kraus, I have country music as well.

I am not a basshead to the degree that I would sacrifice the overall sound quality for a booming bassline - however, I do like a warm sound and generally have the bass-boost on, on the C5.

I am in China and my auditioning options are extrememly limited. I was out today at the three places available, but was unable to test the headphones I think I want! These headphones will be a birthday present from my wife, which for me places greater pressure on choosing the right set.

I'm looking at the Beyerdynamics DT 770 pro, the AKG K550 mkii (or 551, 554 - more on this later), the Shure SRH 940.....I think that might be it.

I was able to listen to the 770s and the 940s today (listened to a bunch of others as well). I liked them both very much. I think the 940s signature might just have the edge, but the 770s soundstage was closer to what I'm looking for.

In honesty, the set I listened to that really did it for me were a pair of Phillips Fidelios (I think the X1 or X2) which really delivered all round. However, they are open and I'm looking for a closed set with the most 'open sound'.

As dumb as this sounds, the look of the K550s just keeps me coming back. The Beyers felt very flimsy to me and I don't love the look. Like the sound, don't love the look. But I cannot test a pair of the AKGs and I have read about them lacking bass, having too much high end, and the notorious seal difficulty so I am wary. However, I have also read that people LOVE their 550s. And they do look gorgeous (to me at least!)

On top of all that we have the 55x family from AKG where I can't see that there's much difference soundwise, so should I be considering 551, 554 etc? Also, does the 550 mkii significantly different to the original?

I also tried out the Spirit One (not sure which, wouldn't swap for M50s), the Final Sonorous (wonderful bass extension, soundstage not much of a step up) ATH A990X (nope),Denons (unimpressed), Sonys (nope), B&O Play(because the wife likes the look and we had the chance to test them - SO unimpressed) and on and on....

ANY advice you can give re. K550 vs DT 770 pro vs SRH 940 will be gratefully received. I know there are many threads comparing two or more of these....I just can't make up my mind. Would I be a fool to go for the 550s without hearing/wearing them first? Are there any others in the $300 range that I should be considering?

Many many thanks in advance for any help you can give,

Misteral

May 22, 2016 at 4:48 AM Post #3 of 5
Fostex/Massdrop TH-X00. Great sound quality, bass heavy without being boomy or bleeding into the mids, and soundstage on par with open headphones. Isolation is not as good as other closed headphones though, if that is a concern.

If it's out of budget, or you need more portable or more isolation then I second the NAD HP50 recommendation. Great soundstage for closed, warm and smooth sound signature. One of the few headphones in its class that gets the bass right in my opinion, not bass-light but not boomy or overpowering either.

May 22, 2016 at 5:39 AM Post #4 of 5
Really enjoyed the DT770s (though I wouldn't describe them as flimsy!).  Beyer also recently had the Custom Studio which is supposed to be an upgrade from the 770, haven't tried though.

Might look at Ultrasones if you can try them out,  They have a couple models in range or often discounted including DJ1, Pro 700/900 series and the Performance 800 series depending on your sound sig preferences (haven't tried these particular ones except thhe 880's)- their S-Logic design doesn't seem work for everyone (including me),  but if it does it's supposed to help create a soundstage effect by angling the driver towards your outer ear.

May 28, 2016 at 5:02 AM Post #5 of 5
Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for the recommendations, I went to the store (the ONE store where I can demo a range of cans!) today, with my budget increased to about $400 (my wife was anticipating spending more than I expected!!) No sign of any of the headphones you'd suggested (available online but I didn't want to buy blind/deaf)

So, I listened to FA Sonorous iv (I found the high end way too prevalent and harsh, not for me at all) and the iii (not bad but perhaps a little veiled) AND the ii (actually my favourite of the three of them). Relistened to the SRH 940s (really quite impressed with them, though perhaps not a huge step up from the M50s) the unnamed Philips open cans (top pick, despite the fact that I wanted closed), Oppo PM3s (not bad, not bad) and some AKG K721 pros (very nice, but not as good as the Phillips)

And then, I tried the Audioquest Nighthawks. They blew the others away. Great soundstage, very even across all frequencies but not bass shy, lovely bass extension, super comfortable, lovely clear upper end without being too sharp. The word I would use to describe their sound is effortless. They made everything else I was testing sound like a distant second place. Visually, the least appealing of the bunch, but one listen and I didn't care what they looked like.

I am VERY lucky that my wife was happy to get them for me, so I am now the ecstatic owner of a new pair of semi open cans. I absolutely love them. They work perfectly with the C5 and bring out the best in everything I have thrown at them so far (even some crusty old Louis Jordan!)
Could not be happier!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back