Please help (Budget = ~$50)
Dec 5, 2011 at 12:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

karishbhr

New Head-Fier
I've been looking at headphones for weeks. Upgrading from Sennheiser HD-202s. Here are my parameters:

1. Budget around $50 (willing to go a bit higher if it's worth it)
  2. Will be used primarily for gaming
  3. Recently got the Ear Force DSS 7.1 Channel Dolby Surround Sound Processor (http://www.amazon.com/Force-Channel-Dolby-Surround-Processor-Mac/dp/B003O0KICS), so I am hoping to find a pair of headphones to maximize this.
  4. I usually play while my girlfriend is sleeping, so I do not want anything that leaks so bad that she will here from the other room.
  5. Would love if I were able to buy from Amazon (have a gift card there), but this is NOT a must.

So far I've been looking at the Samson SR850s but my primary concern is the leakage. I've never owned open headphones, so I'm not sure what to expect. Will she be able to hear me from the other room?

Also have looked at the JVC HA-RX700s which I hear have great isolation. 

Would love to buy something today, so your recommendations are much appreciated.

Dec 5, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #2 of 7
Can't speak for the SR850s directly, but my general experience with open headphones (primarily AD700 and Stax Lambda) is that while anyone in the same room as you will hear what you're listening to, anyone outside of that same room won't if the door's closed. If it's open...I suppose it depends on the distance.

Dec 5, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #3 of 7

Quote:
Can't speak for the SR850s directly, but my general experience with open headphones (primarily AD700 and Stax Lambda) is that while anyone in the same room as you will hear what you're listening to, anyone outside of that same room won't if the door's closed. If it's open...I suppose it depends on the distance.

But the SR850s are semi-open. Ahhh this is killing me!

Dec 5, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #4 of 7
I have both, I can tell you the isolation on the HARX700 is better but the in game sound quality in the Samson SR850 is tops. Semi open, they do leak a bit of sound but nothing too crazy, and is lighter on your head than the HARX700. If isolation is a concern the HARX700 is a better way to go as they will emit almost no sound. If you want one of the best gaming cans at any cost there is not too many cans that will do games better than the SR850..

I would order a Samson SR850 from Amazon and if the leakage it too much you can send it back and try out the HARX700.

Dec 5, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #6 of 7
I think you got the best of both worlds there. Great detail in a monitoring phone that is closed.. Bingo. Go for it. Let us know how they are with your games. I hear those are fairly light for looking bulky too..I don't know if those will have the same wide sound staging of the SR850 but it should be fairly close. SO ya that looks like the ones to go with. Update us on your purchase.

Dec 5, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #7 of 7
Thanks a ton! I pulled the trigger. Will keep you posted.

Quote:
I think you got the best of both worlds there. Great detail in a monitoring phone that is closed.. Bingo. Go for it. Let us know how they are with your games. I hear those are fairly light for looking bulky too..I don't know if those will have the same wide sound staging of the SR850 but it should be fairly close. SO ya that looks like the ones to go with. Update us on your purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back