Please help a head-fier regain their dream after their Single Power fiasco
Nov 29, 2009 at 6:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

DavidMahler

Headphoneus Supremus
About 2 years ago I went searching on head-fi for the ultimate amp, I had just acquired a pair of R10s and wanted to make myself the ultimate headphone setup. As it was for most of us, my finances were in much better shape 2 years ago than it is today. I was quickly informed by several head-fiers that Single Power made the ultimate balanced tube amplifiers and that Mikhail Rotenberg (owner of Single Power) was an expert in Pairing an amp with the R10s. Shortly thereafter I talked to Mikhail, who appeared to be a nice guy, and after many hours of discussion (over the course of a week or so) I placed an order for the SDS XLR. Those of you familiar with this possibly extinct amplifier know of its many upgrade options and its approximate price, but for those that don't know........this amp cost me 10 grand, and after a long journey with the company, I have nothing.

Mikhail, strangely hand delivered the amp, but when it arrived it had a strange buzz. Shortly after he left I started listening and I felt the sound was louder on the left channel. After testing many headphones I found that I was correct and that the balanced amp was totally "unbalanced" A few days later I shipped the amp back to him totally annoyed and we agreed that he had a month to repair the issue, which he claimed was a blown capacitor. After our agreed deadline was past, I waited 2 extra weeks whereupon he started not taking my phone calls and I demanded a refund....Keep in mind by this point it was more than a year after I had paid 10 grand for an amp. At this point he totally cut off contact with me, kept my money and delivered nothing.

My dreams of having an optimal set up were shattered and then the economy sank and I started having to sell much of my gear to make up for the financial losses coming in so many directions.

So what I am asking here is please if some well-informed people could help direct me the path of a great amplifier company who is TRUSTWORTHY and RELIABLE. I don't have the cashflow right now to even purchase anything substantial, but I want to start thinking.

I have considered many times parting with my R10s and MSB Platinum DAC but I can never muster up the "courage" to do so, because if I sell thsoe items my dream with officially be over.

Please if any amp builders are reading this and think you could help me out............what I'm looking for is a balanced tube amp in 3 to 5 thousand dollar range.

I will be pairing the amp with a MSB Platinum DAC III and R10s, HD800 and Edition 8s.

Anyone willing to or able to help me, any advice would be appreciated so much.

Nov 29, 2009 at 7:16 AM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have the cashflow right now to even purchase anything substantial.........what I'm looking for is a balanced tube amp in 3 to 5 thousand dollar range.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Several options:
Zana Deux @ $2500
Balancing Act @ $3500
RSA B52 @ $5000
Balanced B22 (solid state) @ $2500 custom built
TTVJ 307A @ $6000

Or try an AudioGD Phoenix, a great balanced amp at $1300.

Nov 29, 2009 at 7:24 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Several options:
Zana Deux @ $2500
Balancing Act @ $3500
RSA B52 @ $5000
Balanced B22 (solid state) @ $2500 custom built
TTVJ 307A @ $6000

Or try an AudioGD Phoenix, a great balanced amp at $1300.

Thanks for the response.... I probably just didn't word that correctly...............I don't hjave the money right now, but when I do spend it, it would be in the 3-5 thousand dollar range.

Nov 29, 2009 at 9:53 AM Post #6 of 9
Get someone reputable to build you an balanced EHHA and call it a day.
Even with custom FPE panels and labor you'd be looking at about 1000$ - 1200$.
A similar performig commercial amp would be in the price range you quoted.

Nov 29, 2009 at 9:57 AM Post #7 of 9
If I would be in your place I would call the police and tell your story to them, That man will return your money or will go to jail, he deserves it. I'm sorry but and i understand how are you feeling.
I didn't listen to an very expensive and balanced amplifier yet, but i think i would go for an B-52 or a WA22, if solid state i would go for GS-X or a Rudistor RP010-B MkII (which someones consider to be the best SS amp)
It will be better if you can attend a head-fi meet where you can listen all this amps with your cans.

Nov 29, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarKu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I would be in your place I would call the police and tell your story to them, That man will return your money or will go to jail, he deserves it. I'm sorry but and i understand how are you feeling.
I didn't listen to very expensive and balanced amplifier yet, but i think i would go for an B-52 or a WA22, if solid state i would go for GS-X or a Rudistor RP010-B MkII (which someones consider to be the best SS amp)
It will be better if you can attend a head-fi meet where you can listen all this amps with your cans.

my balanced r10s sound ok on my rudistor rp010 but not spectacular!
for balanced solid state amp,my nod goes to ray samuels apache!
as far as tube amps balanced,the eddie current balancing act with a nice set of 300b tubes looks very promising,however i have not heard it yet!

Nov 29, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #9 of 9
balanced tube amps. only a few choices.

- RSA B52
- Eddie Current Balancing Act
- Woo Audio WA22
- TTVJ 307A

i own a B52 and love it although I haven't spent a lot of time using an R10 on it. the WA22 is solid, but at least with my 800 was not as good as my B52. have not heard the 307A or ECBA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back