Please Explain "Boring"(of Etymotic HF3/MC3) to a Noob Like Me...
Feb 24, 2012 at 3:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ChristmaSFnatic

100+ Head-Fier
Im researching and will buy next week. One of my top choices is Ety HF3 or MC3. What prevents me from really making this my top priority is people say its boring. Now as a noob(who only uses the free earphones from iPhone and never owned an IEM), I dont know what boring is in terms of SQ. So can you good sirs and madams explain it to me in layman's terms.

And to those who ever owned an iPhone, thus used the free Apple earbuds, lets go from there... Do you consider that boring?

MANY THANKS!

Oh and how does this boring translate to rock and pop music?

Feb 24, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #2 of 4
Generally:

"boring" = uncolored
"fun" = colored

Uncolored = more neutral frequency response - neither the bass/mids/highs will be emphasized, it will be more balanced..that kick drum isn't going to sound like a cannon on these.  

"Fun" headphones will color the sound - the bass may the emphasized, or the mids may be creamy and thick...the personality of the IEMs generally take over with these while the "boring" ones usually leave it intact.  

Keep in mind a great many of us prefer "boring" IEMs - we want to hear what's recorded as lifelike as possible.  Others want to feel the bass and don't care that a kick drum in real life isn't as emphasized as that.   

Feb 24, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #3 of 4
OK cool!

Though how do artist/bands and their studios want their songs to be listened? Or do they leave that too the fans' taste?

Also, with a boring signature IEM, does that mean a drum/bass heavy song like say, Metallica's "For Whom the Bell Tolls" will not have that thunderous effect that makes the song awesome?

And for someone like me, who wants such energetic songs to pump me up for the gym/running, should I avoid natural sounding IEMs like the Etys?

Feb 24, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #4 of 4

Quote:
And for someone like me, who wants such energetic songs to pump me up for the gym/running, should I avoid natural sounding IEMs like the Etys?

I'd want a ''Fun'' bass heavy IEM in the gym for sure. I use my Meelec M6's for gym duty.  :)  I mean when your in there doing your thing your not trying to pick out details in your music right? Just something to pump you up. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back