Please do not rubberneck the train wreck....Keep Going..
Apr 13, 2009 at 2:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 214

VoLTaG3

Banned
Ok, I've came to this conclusion. I am loving the sound of Shure SE530's and can't imagine any IEM improving anywhere at a great price. The BASS is perfect, the MIDS is unexplainable and the HIGHS with the triple flanges modified are exactly perfect. I was going to buy a pair of Westone ES3X's according to peoples impressions I thought they were the best IEMS ever...

I now realize how this forum basically hypes new products and gives false props to earphones. I know If I get the ES3X I will be disappointed. The ES3X may just only provide small improvements over my Shure SE530's that will only be noticed if I literally stare at the music instead of enjoying the music and listening to it. I've heard the Westone 3 and IE8 and they are completely out of the question no competition to my Shure SE530's.

I guess my next upgrade is a headphone since I've found the best IEM and bang for the buck I can get.

Has anyone heard the Audio Technica ATH-ESW9A portable headphone? Also with a high end portable amplifier? How do these compare to those custom earphones other than providing a much better soundstage.

Thanks for reading...

Apr 13, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #2 of 214
rolleyes.gif

Apr 13, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #3 of 214
The same hype you so speak of and which probably persuaded you to pick up the SE530s were on Head-Fi as well. I like the SE530s but there's still a noticeable clynicalness to their sound which I find the case to be with most BA sets. This is usually the issue with the bass response with BA sets. The bass is there and audible but it's just not as musical as dynamics. Soundstage also takes a hit with BA sets. The SE530 does everything much better than most BA earphones but even the Sony EX700s I use to own I felt had a better soundstage as well as a quicker, tighter, and definitely more visceral bass than the SE530s. For frequency response the SE530s I felt has a more true response but the EX700s were noticeably more lively and more musical. Thus I am waiting to get a hold of a pair of IE8s as those I'm hoping has that EX700 style sound but with a better HF response and hopefully non of the slight sibilance issue that the EX700s have.

As to you question regarding the AT's. I'm personally not a big fan of AT's. They sound good but for the money there's better sets out there.

Apr 13, 2009 at 2:36 PM Post #4 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by VoLTaG3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I now realize how this forum basically hypes new products and gives false props to earphones....I guess my next upgrade is a headphone since I've found the best IEM and bang for the buck I can get....Has anyone heard the Audio Technica ATH-ESW9A portable headphone? Also with a high end portable amplifier? How do these compare to those custom earphones other than providing a much better soundstage....

I'm sorry friend but I can't miss the irony of you asking people for suggestions afters saying that the forum "basically hypes new products and gives false props...."

Apr 13, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #5 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by dookiex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The same hype you so speak of and which probably persuaded you to pick up the SE530s were on Head-Fi as well. I like the SE530s but there's still a noticeable clynicalness to their sound which I find the case to be with most BA sets. This is usually the issue with the bass response with BA sets. The bass is there and audible but it's just not as musical as dynamics. Soundstage also takes a hit with BA sets. The SE530 does everything much better than most BA earphones but even the Sony EX700s I use to own I felt had a better soundstage as well as a quicker, tighter, and definitely more visceral bass than the SE530s. For frequency response the SE530s I felt has a more true response but the EX700s were noticeably more lively and more musical. Thus I am waiting to get a hold of a pair of IE8s as those I'm hoping has that EX700 style sound but with a better HF response and hopefully non of the slight sibilance issue that the EX700s have.

As to you question regarding the AT's. I'm personally not a big fan of AT's. They sound good but for the money there's better sets out there.

That's why I'm looking at some ultra high end portable headphones. I want an expansive soundstage. I feel the BASS from the Shure SE530's are done perfectly right. Not overpowering at all times like the IE8's or Westone 3. My Shure SE530's does everything perfectly except an out of my head soundstage but that is just a technical limitation of earphones. I don't want to get another high end earphone and end up preferring my Shure SE530's over it in the long run.

Apr 13, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #6 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by imackler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sorry friend but I can't miss the irony of you asking people for suggestions afters saying that the forum "basically hypes new products and gives false props...."

I'm not asking for suggestions I'm asking has anyone heard the Audio Technica ATH-ESW9A with a high end amp.

Apr 13, 2009 at 2:42 PM Post #7 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zalithian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
rolleyes.gif

SQ is in the ears of the beholder.
biggrin.gif

Apr 13, 2009 at 2:42 PM Post #8 of 214
I personally feel that if you want portability and you are fine with your SE530s, there's really no point in looking for portable headphones since the good sounding headphones aren't all that portable if you think about it. I think your best bet would be a pair of Koss PortaPros. Won't break the bank, sounds phenomenal, amps very well, and it's quite cheap with a lifetime warranty.

Apr 13, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #10 of 214
Quote:

I'm not asking for suggestions I'm asking has anyone heard the Audio Technica ATH-ESW9A with a high end amp.

But surely you're looking for more than a simple "yes" or "no." That would be a very easy answer. It sounds like you're looking for suggestions to me!
normal_smile .gif

Apr 13, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #11 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by dookiex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I personally feel that if you want portability and you are fine with your SE530s, there's really no point in looking for portable headphones since the good sounding headphones aren't all that portable if you think about it. I think your best bet would be a pair of Koss PortaPros. Won't break the bank, sounds phenomenal, amps very well, and it's quite cheap with a lifetime warranty.

High end headphones usually sound better than any IEM because it has far more expansive soundstage and more robust bass. Isn't the Audio Technica ATH-ESW9A the highest quality you can get from a portable easily driven headphone?

Apr 13, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #12 of 214
Quote:

High end headphones usually sound better than any IEM because it has far more expansive soundstage and more robust bass. Isn't the Audio Technica ATH-ESW9A the highest quality you can get from a portable easily driven headphone?

Did you missed the ESW10JPN?

Apr 13, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #13 of 214
ESW9As are a bit overpriced for what you get to tell you the truth. If you're tossing that kind of cash around there are much better headphones out there. With that kind of change it would be wiser to invest in a nicer pair of headphones for home use. If you want portable I feel that the PortaPros are a much better deal while fitting the definition of portable MUCH better than all the other "portable" headphones.

Apr 13, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #14 of 214
OK, every time I ask for a suggestion this happens.... You guys a very helpful and all but you always turn me to just wanting to a get a ultra high end full size headphone like the Denon AH-D7000, Sennheiser HD800, or Grado PS1000 and a home amplifier and using my Shure SE530's for portable use. I guess I may just do that....Thanks for your help guys...
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back