Please Allow Me to Introduce Myself
May 22, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #16 of 52
For bass heavy music, I haven't heard a better headphone than the Pro 900. I directly compared it to some D2000's, and they were no match.

Regarding an amp, you don't need one. I ran mine unamped and it still sounded perfectly great. So to tell you the truth, don't worry about it.

May 22, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #17 of 52
Quote:
Wir3d, being the denon conneseur you are im surprised you havent recomended them. I just got a pair of d2ks and am immensly happy with them. They are quite bass heavy and not muddy at all unless you are listening to some crazy dubstep or something but there still not muddy the bass just covers up some of the rest of the range. These guys have impressed me in every genera ive thrown at them. And this is unamped on my droid razr, fiio e11 in the mail.

-_-' lol yeah, I sound like a broken record sometimes.... Wel the original reason I didn't is because I assumed that he wanted them as portables because he did own the Solos, and I assumed he did not want to invest in a DAC/amp, since i have no idea how the phone is, and laptops are ****.

But since that isn't the case, I can make a strong point for the denons. here goes.

Denon D2000, now discontinued but still available, A well recommended all rounder, with good bass, thats got good kick when you need it, but doesn't overpower other genres, its supremely comfortable, ignore the Zealots the screw issues haven't happened for a long time. 
The cable is tough, and long, the build construction is good, the sound is balanced and pleasant, its good at making people smile. I recommend it often, especially in this situation, for at home use. 

It does not need an amp, but it greatly benefits from a good DAC that can provide enough current to drive it properly, a simple Fiio is a go-to suggestion. 
Out the box it won't disappoint, and a DAC upgrade can be way later (I was happy for 6 months just using receivers and my phone.) It will have less bass quantity then the Pro 900.

However at the prce you are getting the Pro 900 for... I am sure it will have more clarity, but I am convinced the Denons are more pleasurable, and less controversial then the Ultrasones. Also Denons sound a lot smoother, which IMO is more relaxing. 

and Boom goes the dynamite

May 22, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #18 of 52
I'm going to say this again, in a separate post

In terms of clairty, and pure audio Quality the PRO 900 IS BETTER then the Denon D2000, which why i didn't really recommend them off the bat.

I just hope my previous post was not too convincing. 

May 22, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #19 of 52
Thanks for all the advice, WiR3D
biggrin.gif

May 22, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #20 of 52
this is just me, but i think for 250usd, you can try getting a used fiio E7 or E10 for your amp+dac connected to your laptop. that goes about ~50-70usd used. and for the 200usd remaining, you can also try looking for used headphones in the for sale section in the forum. although some might not fit the 'bass heavy' category, you can look for headphones there within your budget like Audio Technica ATH-ESW9, ATH-pro700mk2 ATH m50, Denon HP 700DJ, and Aiaiai TMA-1.  If you find the bass lacking for your tastes, you can always turn up the bass boost function of the E7/E10.

although i dont know if they would 'pair well' but for sure the E7/E10 will be better than the integrated soundcard for your laptop.

remember to use 'good' music files-- whether it is 320kbps mp3 or lossless. garbage in, garbage out.

p.s. feel free to ignore my post if it is confusing you xD

May 22, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #21 of 52
Quote:
this is just me, but i think for 250usd, you can try getting a used fiio E7 or E10 for your amp+dac connected to your laptop. that goes about ~50-70usd used. and for the 200usd remaining, you can also try looking for used headphones in the for sale section in the forum. although some might not fit the 'bass heavy' category, you can look for headphones there within your budget like Audio Technica ATH-ESW9, ATH-pro700mk2 ATH m50, Denon HP 700DJ, and Aiaiai TMA-1.  If you find the bass lacking for your tastes, you can always turn up the bass boost function of the E7/E10.

although i dont know if they would 'pair well' but for sure the E7/E10 will be better than the integrated soundcard for your laptop.

Hmm, very true. I find MP3's to have much better DAC's than computers and laptops, therefore, not necessarily needing an amp. But I think something cheap like the E7 or E10 would be very worth while if listening mostly took place form a computer.

May 22, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #22 of 52
Quote:
Thanks for all the advice, WiR3D
biggrin.gif

People helped me a lot when I came here, and I am still learning, just trying to help others.

Dyaems is right, Garbage in Garbage out, hence why I am a firm believer in a decent DAC. 
DACs just tend to hit the law of diminishing returns early, and there are many that perform way above there price bracket, Fiio, Asus STX, and ODAC are some examples.

May 22, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #23 of 52
Oh and there have been some fake ultrasones out there so be ware... they also have a moderate clamping force and some comfort problems depending on the size and shape of your head. Whatever you do they will allways kill any of the beats.

May 22, 2012 at 5:49 AM Post #24 of 52
Just to note, I would buy the Pro900, give it a good burn in, and if you don't like it after a month, sell it and get the D2000, which will have less clarity, but you will probably enjoy it more if you dont enjoy the SS of the pro900

May 22, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #26 of 52
Noooooooooooo. It was a scam website... The actual lowest price out there is $320 ... Deffintly cannot go over $250. damn...

Where to turn... I'm kind of in a melt down right now.
confused.gif

May 22, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #27 of 52
Quote:
Noooooooooooo. It was a scam website... The actual lowest price out there is $320 ... Deffintly cannot go over $250. damn...

Where to turn... I'm kind of in a melt down right now.
confused.gif

Yeah I saw those ,selling D7k for $300 lol

Go Denon D2000, you will be happy

May 22, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #29 of 52
Quote:
Go the electronics-expo, search for D2000 and hit Buy Now on the Open Box one (or call them if it's out of stock).  Done, good to go 
smily_headphones1.gif

In the cart, it'll state that it's out of stock, but it also says:  Call 888.707.3976 for in-store availability

I remember reading a recent post, I think in the Deals Thread, that someone was able to call in about the NIB version (after seeing that it was out of stock) and the customer service rep sold it to them with the discount code (grandslam or dealsofamerica) and got the NIB for just under $200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back