Please Allow Me to Introduce Myself
May 20, 2012 at 11:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

Walter11

New Head-Fier
Hey everybody, long time browser first time poster. . .

I have been in the market for a new pair of headphones for a while. I am 18 years old and currently am rocking the Dr. Dre Solo headphones and am I excited to get rid of them, lol. It's quite often for me to just listen to the music from my LapTop speaker due to the lack of clarity that they provide. I'm looking to spend anywhere from $150 to $250 (just graduated high school) and I'm looking for an all around headset that I can use for 100% percent of my library. My favorite genres of music are Hip-Hop/Rap and EDM/Dubstep so in addition I'd like a headset that can hit all kinds of bass while not being "muddy" like the Beats by Dre.

I found a deal on the Ultrasone PRO 900 for $200 and was one second away from purchasing but then I thought I should consult the site where I learned about the headphones! What do you guys think? Is this is a good purchase for a novice headphone user? I don't have any type of amp or any knowledge of what they do + are these good for long listening sessions?

P.S. What are those charts that you guys commonly use to show the range of a headset? (I think you call them FR Graphs, idk)

May 21, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #2 of 52
You might consider the DT 770 80 ohm Professional. It can be found used for a reasonable price and certainly has plenty of bass that while not perfectly controlled can still be very nice. Like anything, the source has a great deal to do with the performance of the headphone, good source files (i.e. well recorded music versus poorly recorded, low bit rate mp3 or say lossless files etc). If the player has poor sound then that will of course effect the final sound. I'm sure you know all of that so good luck finding something you like. Try to find if there are any head-fi members who live close to you that you could perhaps meet and listen to some equipment. Welcome aboard and kiss your money goodbye!!

May 21, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #3 of 52
By all rounder do you mean for all genres (the general meaning around here) or for portable use and home use?

Also what will you be plugging it into? Only the laptop?

And do you want on-ear - like the solos, or over ear? 

Is isolation important? (generally yes if its for portable use)

and welcome, and kiss you wallet goodbye now, its about to raped forever

May 21, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #4 of 52
Quote:
By all rounder do you mean for all genres (the general meaning around here) or for portable use and home use?

Also what will you be plugging it into? Only the laptop?

And do you want on-ear - like the solos, or over ear? 

Is isolation important? (generally yes if its for portable use)

and welcome, and kiss you wallet goodbye now, its about to raped forever

1.) I want it for all of my Library, (a.k.a. 95% Hip/Hop 5% Everything Else)
2.) I will be using this new headset for my LapTop and my CellPhone's MP3 Player (Samsung Brightside) in the dorm room and I have a pair of Radius Atomic Bass II Earbuds for when I'm out around campus.
3.) I'm open to either but I feel like I find more comfort in over ear.
4.) I would like that so I don't bother my roommate but it's not essential.

Wadda ya think?

May 21, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #5 of 52
I want to bump this thread (only going to do it once, promise) but has anyone spent a lot of time with the Ultrasone PRO 900?

And feel like they would be good for a fan of Hip-Hop (bass heavy) music??

May 21, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #6 of 52
Sound like you want some good bass heavy phones. Solos are pretty muddy so alot of Cans in the 100-200$ range should sound good. I heard the Audio Technica pro700 mk2 Have good amount of bass and they look Sick as hell (To me anyways) so you can try those. Try and look at some DJ headphones, They often have more Bass to them.

May 21, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #7 of 52
Quote:
I want to bump this thread (only going to do it once, promise) but has anyone spent a lot of time with the Ultrasone PRO 900?

And feel like they would be good for a fan of Hip-Hop (bass heavy) music??

Those are some good phones for the price, bass heavy, and ultrasones have their own quirks. But it will need an amp (someone else can confirm) they are low impedance, but they don't exactly have High sensitivity. 

There is a search function at the top of the website under the header, off you go. 

Pretty much the entire Ultrasone PRO line is bass heavy AFAIK

May 21, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #8 of 52
well for every person that likes ultrasone on head-fi, there is someone who has a dire hatred for them, I would also look at the hdj2000 but I think the pro900s are still good

May 22, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #9 of 52
Quote:
well for every person that likes ultrasone on head-fi, there is someone who has a dire hatred for them, I would also look at the hdj2000 but I think the pro900s are still good

thats the whole reason I am buying my mother AKG K550 instead of Pro 750. Ultrasones are just too controversial, kind of makes me suspect they are very amp sensitive.

May 22, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #10 of 52
Can someone point me towards a thread where I can learn about amplifiers and such?? I have absolutely no knowledge on anything but I CRAVE high quality music and I think I'm sold on the Ultrasone's due to a couple reviews I've read today. I think they're perfect for my Hip-Hop taste. P.S. I really appreciate the help you guys here have provided.

(LOL. At the moment I'm using the fudging standard ear-buds that come with the iPod because I just don't even wanna use my Solo's anymore.)

May 22, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #11 of 52
Quote:
Can someone point me towards a thread where I can learn about amplifiers and such?? I have absolutely no knowledge on anything but I CRAVE high quality music and I think I'm sold on the Ultrasone's due to a couple reviews I've read today. I think they're perfect for my Hip-Hop taste. P.S. I really appreciate the help you guys here have provided.

(LOL. At the moment I'm using the fudging standard ear-buds that come with the iPod because I just don't even wanna use my Solo's anymore.)

thats understandable, the solos are a muddy disaster, at least with the ipod ear buds you at know they were a free bee.

May 22, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #12 of 52
Erm, what did they use in the reviews? :p 

that way you will know exactly what matched with what, I am not the guy to speak to about amps, My denons only require the basic amping that comes with the DACs I have.

May 22, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #13 of 52
Quote:
Erm, what did they use in the reviews? :p 

that way you will know exactly what matched with what, I am not the guy to speak to about amps, My denons only require the basic amping that comes with the DACs I have.

I read these different threads:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/527451/ultrasone-pro-900-appreciation-thread
http://www.head-fi.org/t/600220/denon-d5000-vs-ultrasone-pro-900-in-terms-of-bass
http://www.head-fi.org/t/573371/denon-d2000-vs-ultrasone-pro-900-a-review-and-comparison

May 22, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #14 of 52
Quote:
I read these different threads:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/527451/ultrasone-pro-900-appreciation-thread
http://www.head-fi.org/t/600220/denon-d5000-vs-ultrasone-pro-900-in-terms-of-bass
http://www.head-fi.org/t/573371/denon-d2000-vs-ultrasone-pro-900-a-review-and-comparison

Nice picks, i would recommend looking through the first one and possibly asking there what amp will work for your budget and needs, be specific.

May 22, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #15 of 52
Wir3d, being the denon conneseur you are im surprised you havent recomended them. I just got a pair of d2ks and am immensly happy with them. They are quite bass heavy and not muddy at all unless you are listening to some crazy dubstep or something but there still not muddy the bass just covers up some of the rest of the range. These guys have impressed me in every genera ive thrown at them. And this is unamped on my droid razr, fiio e11 in the mail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back