Please advise on a DVD player
Mar 6, 2006 at 4:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

saab

500+ Head-Fier
I think I need a new DVD player. I have a cheap/crappy one now, but the sound output is aweful for movies. The voices are hard to hear, but the music and effects are very loud. This may be a problem with the TV, but I doubt it. I am using a 30 some inch Sony Vega flat screen tube. This is not HD capable.
mad.gif

Anyways, I want a DVD player that is going to be adequate, and not cost a lot. We really don't watch a lot of movies, and I don't have any kind of theater system (just use TV speakers.) I have no problem buying used, or refurbished, as I am basically looking for the best deal available. I would like to spend less than $100. Please remember that I am not a a videophile or anything like that; if I need to have a theater experience, I have a projector hooked up to a computer that I can use.

Thanks, and let me know if you need any more info, or if this should be in the dedicated source forum.

-John

Mar 6, 2006 at 5:45 PM Post #2 of 9

Dixie Flatline

100+ Head-Fier
Quote:

Originally Posted by saab
I think I need a new DVD player. I have a cheap/crappy one now, but the sound output is aweful for movies. The voices are hard to hear, but the music and effects are very loud. This may be a problem with the TV, but I doubt it. I am using a 30 some inch Sony Vega flat screen tube. This is not HD capable.
mad.gif

Anyways, I want a DVD player that is going to be adequate, and not cost a lot. We really don't watch a lot of movies, and I don't have any kind of theater system (just use TV speakers.) I have no problem buying used, or refurbished, as I am basically looking for the best deal available. I would like to spend less than $100. Please remember that I am not a a videophile or anything like that; if I need to have a theater experience, I have a projector hooked up to a computer that I can use.

Thanks, and let me know if you need any more info, or if this should be in the dedicated source forum.

-John

Well, the best place for it is probably here: AVS Forum. From what I've gathered, Pioneer is a good choice, with their DV-285A-S (MSRP $79.00) being in your range; also, if you can find the previous-generation DV-578A-S, it's very good quality, it's usually under $100, and it has the added bonus of downloadable third-party firmware that can make it region-free.

Mar 6, 2006 at 7:04 PM Post #3 of 9

rickcr42

Are YOU talkin' to me?
Choices are Denon,Pioneer,toshiba or anything else which are no more than annual replacements,throwaways meant to be replaced yearly with a price reflecting that

Mar 6, 2006 at 8:58 PM Post #5 of 9

saab

500+ Head-Fier
So is that a common issue with cheap dvd players to have softer dialogue? Or is it more likely to be the stock TV speakers?

Mar 6, 2006 at 9:04 PM Post #6 of 9

Headphoneus Supremus
Quote:

Originally Posted by saab
So is that a common issue with cheap dvd players to have softer dialogue? Or is it more likely to be the stock TV speakers?

did you check your tv settings? i have a samsung that has different settings like movie, talk, sports, etc..maybe you are on a music setting or something

Mar 6, 2006 at 9:29 PM Post #7 of 9

saab

500+ Head-Fier
That is a good suggestion. I will check that out.

What do you think about a Denon DVM-1800? I could get a used one for around $70.

Mar 6, 2006 at 10:55 PM Post #8 of 9

terrymx

Headphoneus Supremus
Quote:

Originally Posted by RYCeT
I'm not sure how much a used phillips 963sa cost but they got a good picture and sound.

hard to find nowaday. it play sacd and dvd-a too. its really an excellent source. i have a younger brother version, teh dvd795sa, which is equivalent to the dvd763sa. and i prefer it over my emu0404 for the neutral sound.

for something cheap you might look at the pioneer dv588sa.

Mar 7, 2006 at 12:37 AM Post #9 of 9

Jam_Master_J

Headphoneus Supremus
If I were you, I'd try to play with the dynamic range control settings. It sounds to me that the dynamic tracks with your movies are too much for your TV speakers. I doubt that even a very cheap DVD player would be an audio bottleneck to a TV's speakers.

But anyway, I like my Pioneer universal player.

Users who are viewing this thread