Please advise: a light lubricant for CD player mechanisms
Sep 8, 2010 at 5:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Banned at his own request
Hi guys, had my S370 (old Panasonic portable CD player) for about 14 years. About time I put some lube on the mechanism.
The device uses the Sony-type mechanism, a jackscrew with two rails. Some of that white grease on the rails are still there (and lubricating), but the jackscrew and the motor gears are about dry.
So please recommend a light lubricant for this purpose. I understand that WD-40 is inadequate. Or can I just take a dab of that white grease and smear it on?
Thanks.

Sep 8, 2010 at 5:56 PM Post #2 of 11
Back when I had my collection of "vintage" PCDPs, I used LaBelle 106 - grease with Teflon, and it never failed me.  It can be found at most hobbyshops, as model railroaders use it.  Other brands would probably work just as well.  Just make sure it is plastic compatible like the LaBelle 106.

Sep 8, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #3 of 11

Quote:
Back when I had my collection of "vintage" PCDPs, I used LaBelle 106 - grease with Teflon, and it never failed me.  It can be found at most hobbyshops, as model railroaders use it.  Other brands would probably work just as well.  Just make sure it is plastic compatible like the LaBelle 106.

Thanks, saw that on some railroading websites.
Oh, a little flash, would bike chain lube work? It's a green-ish kind of thing, have used this to lube door and cabinet joints.

Sep 8, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #4 of 11
Silicone based lubes are great for plastic parts and sliding parts like arc hinges-I use the spray silicone and hit it with a q-tip as an applicator

Sep 8, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #5 of 11
Blue Meanie my step dad wrote yellow submarine

Sep 10, 2010 at 12:34 PM Post #6 of 11
Sep 10, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #7 of 11
I used to be a tech and loved marvel mystery oil for the motors....clean with deoxit first

Sep 10, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #8 of 11
Sep 10, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #9 of 11
Guys, please, if you want to fight sarcastically, use PM and not my post.
Now, bike lube, would it work (a green-ish stuff, has a scent, used to lubricate door joints)?

Sep 12, 2010 at 12:20 AM Post #10 of 11

Quote:
Now, bike lube, would it work (a green-ish stuff, has a scent, used to lubricate door joints)?

One thing to worry about is viscosity...I am not familiar with the bike lube but I would think it is too thick unless you use a VERY light coat. Remember the motor that drives that sled is not very big or powerful and if the lube is too thick you will get a problem with attatching gri,t dus,t hair...etc. into the grease.

Sep 12, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #11 of 11

Quote:

Who was fighting sarcastically?  For that matter, who was fighting at all?  Did I miss something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back