Playstation 4 Headphone Help!!
Jul 24, 2013 at 12:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Kitten Mitten

New Head-Fier
     Well I'm planning on getting a Playstation 4 when it comes out and would like to get a decent pair of headphones to go with it. The Playstation 4 comes with a simple earbud with a mic on it. What I was thinking about doing was getting a nice pair of headphones and just using the Playstation 4 mic for chat. Sony has said that Wireless Playstation 3 headphones would still be able to work with the Playstation 4.

Today I plugged up my current headphones to my tv to see how they sounded playing video games compared to my turtlebeach x12s'. My headphones sounded much better than the turtle beaches did but whenever there was no sound coming from my tv I could hear a quiet but annoying hissing noise. So my question is this, what would be a good set of cans that I could use with the Playstation 4. Should I try and get a pair of wireless headphones PS3 headphones or should I get a pair of wired headphones and try and make it work through the TV's headphone jack. The problem is I also want to use the headphones for music. I primarly listen to metal/rock. My price limit is $150 and If I have to $200.

Jul 24, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #2 of 18
Your requirements seem to rule out the wireless sony ps3 headphones, don't think they can be used for music. Their surround sound is also synthetic, i.e software generated and not the 5.1 track from say a blu ray disc, i happen to think they sound great and look the goods.

I am not sure why the turtle beach headphones are so popular, they really don't sound good and are light in a cheap plasticy way.

Jul 24, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #3 of 18
     Well I'm planning on getting a Playstation 4 when it comes out and would like to get a decent pair of headphones to go with it. The Playstation 4 comes with a simple earbud with a mic on it. What I was thinking about doing was getting a nice pair of headphones and just using the Playstation 4 mic for chat. Sony has said that Wireless Playstation 3 headphones would still be able to work with the Playstation 4.

Today I plugged up my current headphones to my tv to see how they sounded playing video games compared to my turtlebeach x12s'. My headphones sounded much better than the turtle beaches did but whenever there was no sound coming from my tv I could hear a quiet but annoying hissing noise. So my question is this, what would be a good set of cans that I could use with the Playstation 4. Should I try and get a pair of wireless headphones PS3 headphones or should I get a pair of wired headphones and try and make it work through the TV's headphone jack. The problem is I also want to use the headphones for music. I primarly listen to metal/rock. My price limit is $150 and If I have to $200.

Doesn't the PS4 controller have a headphone jack?

Jul 24, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:
Doesn't the PS4 controller have a headphone jack?

Yes but I dont know if you can plug a standard 3.5mm jack into it.
Quote:
Your requirements seem to rule out the wireless sony ps3 headphones, don't think they can be used for music. Their surround sound is also synthetic, i.e software generated and not the 5.1 track from say a blu ray disc, i happen to think they sound great and look the goods.

I am not sure why the turtle beach headphones are so popular, they really don't sound good and are light in a cheap plasticy way.

Yes, every pair of Turtle beaches I have ever owned have messed up in some way.

Jul 24, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #5 of 18
You can do what I plan to do. 
The PS4 is going to support USB mics + Optical Out like the PS3. 

I plan to use the Astro Mixamp with the headphones i already own. (I'd try to find one used)
Gives you good headphone surround sound. 
http://www.astrogaming.com/mixamps/mixamp-pro-2013-edition

+ modmic for my headphones
http://www.modmic.com/

The mixamp comes with a splitter for seperate mic and headphone outputs from the mixamp. Just hook up the modmic to the mic output and I'll be double-amping the headphone output on the astro mixamp with my Schiit Lyr. But you may not need to do that depending on your headphones. 

Jul 24, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:
You can do what I plan to do. 
The PS4 is going to support USB mics + Optical Out like the PS3. 

I plan to use the Astro Mixamp with the headphones i already own. (I'd try to find one used)
Gives you good headphone surround sound. 
http://www.astrogaming.com/mixamps/mixamp-pro-2013-edition

+ modmic for my headphones
http://www.modmic.com/

The mixamp comes with a splitter for seperate mic and headphone outputs from the mixamp. Just hook up the modmic to the mic output and I'll be double-amping the headphone output on the astro mixamp with my Schiit Lyr. But you may not need to do that depending on your headphones. 

Sounds like a plan but i'm not satisfied with the headphones I have now. I currently own skullcandy aviators. What headphones would you suggest for gaming?

Jul 24, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:
      Sounds like a plan but i'm not satisfied with the headphones I have now. I currently own skullcandy aviators. What headphones would you suggest for gaming?

I'd recommend going through this guide. 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-7-18-2013-philips-fidelio-x1-added

It really depends what you're looking for.. for your gaming. Something more fun and bass-y or something that is better for positional cues for competitive FPS gaming. 

I am currently using the Audeze LCD-2, but they are very pricey, which is why i didn't mention them. 

I just looked through the guide, myself. If you can afford it, I think this is the best all around choice. Fidelio X1
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-X1-28-Fidelio-Headphones/dp/B00B3QD94O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374138669&sr=8-1&keywords=fidelio+x1

Jul 24, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:
I'd recommend going through this guide. 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-7-18-2013-philips-fidelio-x1-added

It really depends what you're looking for.. for your gaming. Something more fun and bass-y or something that is better for positional cues for competitive FPS gaming. 

I am currently using the Audeze LCD-2, but they are very pricey, which is why i didn't mention them. 

Well I looked through the list and the ATH-M50 seem promising and I've heard good things about them before. I also liked the Sennheiser HD 598 but they are to far out of my price range so maybe the HD 558? Also I consider myself a casual player and the only FPS I really play is BF3 and sometimes Halo 4.

Oh and I looked up the Audeze headphones and I think they are a little out of my price range lol.

Jul 24, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:
   Well I looked through the list and the ATH-M50 seem promising and I've heard good things about them before. I also liked the Sennheiser HD 598 but they are to far out of my price range so maybe the HD 558? Also I consider myself a casual player and the only FPS I really play is BF3 and sometimes Halo 4.

Oh and I looked up the Audeze headphones and I think they are a little out of my price range lol.

The ATH-M50s is not considered a desirable headphone for surround sound.
Sometimes you can find used Senn HD558s for just over $100, on Amazon and eBay.

Jul 24, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

I think the HD 558 would be a great choice. =)
Good for music too. 

Jul 24, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:
The ATH-M50s is not considered a desirable headphone for surround sound.
Sometimes you can find used Senn HD558s for just over $100, on Amazon and eBay.

Quote:
I think the HD 558 would be a great choice. =)
Good for music too. 

Well looks like The HD558s are the best choice. So let me get this straight(cause im new to this whole audiophile thing). I should get a good pair of headphones like the HD558s and use the astro mixamp for surround sound and get maybe the modmic or perhaps just use the mic included with the ps4?

Jul 24, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Well looks like The HD558s are the best choice. So let me get this straight(cause im new to this whole audiophile thing). I should get a good pair of headphones like the HD558s and use the astro mixamp for surround sound and get maybe the modmic or perhaps just use the mic included with the ps4?

Yeah, IMO, that's the best route. 
The Astro Mixamp is probably the best and most convenient Dolby Headphone processor for the price. If you can get a hold of the older model, before 2013, I would pick up that one. It has better input options. 
Like this one right here.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEAR-MINT-7-1-ASTRO-MIXAMP-PRO-XBOX-360-PS3-PLAYSTATION-3-PC-A40-MLG-HALO-4-/261247930425?pt=US_Video_Game_Controllers&hash=item3cd3971039

Jul 24, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:
Yeah, IMO, that's the best route. 
The Astro Mixamp is probably the best and most convenient Dolby Headphone processor for the price. If you can get a hold of the older model, before 2013, I would pick up that one. It has better input options. 
Like this one right here.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEAR-MINT-7-1-ASTRO-MIXAMP-PRO-XBOX-360-PS3-PLAYSTATION-3-PC-A40-MLG-HALO-4-/261247930425?pt=US_Video_Game_Controllers&hash=item3cd3971039

alright thanks man!! One last question, is there any cheaper alternative to the astro mix or should I just save up the money and get it.

Jul 24, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:
alright thanks man!! One last question, is there any cheaper alternative to the astro mix or should I just save up the money and get it.

I'm sure there are some used Turtle Beach DSS for sale on eBay, not sure how the quality compares to the Astro Mix-amp.

Jul 24, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

If you want to save money, you might want to consider this one...
http://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Surround-Processor-Xbox-360-63043006306200/dp/B006W41X36/ref=dp_ob_title_vg

I cannot say for certain if they would be adaquate for powering the HD 558s on their own. If you double-amped it with a seperate amp, could possibly do well though. 
I've never tried the turtle beach DSS2 though.. so I can't vouch for it personally. I've had my Astro Mixamp for a long time and it works well. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back