Playing speakers at night
Apr 18, 2004 at 1:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

ampgalore

Headphoneus Supremus
I've found that playing speakers at night, I can hear more detail, more intimacy, at lower volumes. Is this something psychological or have others noticed this as well?

Apr 18, 2004 at 2:55 PM Post #3 of 18
I believe that it is not psychological. During the day the local circuits in your neighborhood are used by many more sources. At night the power is much cleaner due to less overall usage.

Apr 18, 2004 at 3:09 PM Post #4 of 18
Thanks for all the comments. I found that sometimes during the day, even when it's really quiet outside, when I turn on the speakers, I just don't get the same feeling of intimacy I get when I listen to the speakers at night.

Apr 18, 2004 at 8:05 PM Post #5 of 18
I think the other posters hit it right on the head. Many report their sound systems sounds best at night both because the power is cleaner and the ambient noise level is lower.

Apr 19, 2004 at 12:38 AM Post #6 of 18
I'd say it's because of the lower ambient noise. Power doesnt affect it as much.

Look at it this way. Do you hear your watch tic during the day? At night it tics like its a sledgehammer hitting a giant bell.

Blame that on how your brain filters out ambient sound.

Apr 22, 2004 at 10:15 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy
Wait til you listen to your music in the dark.

Definitely, in the dark late at night is the best tweak.

Apr 22, 2004 at 10:20 PM Post #10 of 18
The dark is essential for me too, to suspend my disbelief. Once the lights are off, I'm in the room with the performers.

Apr 22, 2004 at 10:31 PM Post #11 of 18
Though my wife feels that I have spent enough money on headphone gear that I should "never play speakers after 10:00pm" I do enjoy the ambiance of a late night listen in a dark room. The glowing tubes are the only light and the large soundstage and transparency of my system allows me to bask in the illusion that the performance is indeed taking place in my listening room. Headphones just don't do that for me,sorry.

Apr 23, 2004 at 1:49 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkclouds
Ahh... how could I forget about the warm glow of tubes... adds just the right amount of ambience light.

Until she goes "Cute, what's this?" *touch*

Apr 23, 2004 at 5:22 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuberoller
Though my wife feels that I have spent enough money on headphone gear that I should "never play speakers after 10:00pm" I do enjoy the ambiance of a late night listen in a dark room.

Your wife and my wife must talk when we don't know it. Although I will sneak in a few tracks on my speakers after the witching hour before I am politely, but firmly asked use the headphones.

Apr 23, 2004 at 7:42 PM Post #15 of 18
If you wear glasses, take them off. Less reflections in the room that way.

And go nude if you can....let the music washes over your body.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back