Playing music from MBP
Dec 11, 2007 at 5:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

N15M0

100+ Head-Fier
Hi I have got a Macbook Pro and I also have a Benchmark DAC1 and Headamp GS1 connected to it. May I know which software do you guys here recommend to use to play music? itunes? Also which software to use on window vista as well. Thanks.

Dec 11, 2007 at 7:28 AM Post #2 of 13
VLC is probably the 'safest' at the moment for bitperfect output and minimal distortion. Generally I use iTunes for Mac & Foobar for PC (although iTunes has a few issues to be sorted ATM).

Depending on your setup and filetypes, you may want to use iTunes on both systems, or VLC (can also be used on both OS) if the 'extra' features aren't important to you.

If you want to be sure of bitperfect output, do a bit of searching the forum here first as there are other settings to take into account for each OS and version of software.

Dec 11, 2007 at 7:35 AM Post #3 of 13
VLCs volume setup is a funky one for audio, though as I understand it it has to be in its current multi-OS architecture. I'd say it's therefore less safe than iTunes for bitperfection, but then again I think bit-perfection is overstated here (in comparison to other concerns, though it's obviously desired). I use VLC regularly for video, but after trying lots of players have settled back into iTunes. With Doug's Applescripts it's quite expandable on the Mac side of things.

Dec 11, 2007 at 11:03 AM Post #4 of 13
iTunes is fine as long as you turn off the "improvements". Be sure to check out iVolume from mani.de/ though. Not free, but well worth the money.

Dec 11, 2007 at 2:35 PM Post #5 of 13
I have a similar setup and I am using iTunes. Hopefully they release a fix in the next week or so for version 7.5. I can't wait until someone releases a real powerful music library and audiophile application. iTunes is built for convenience and selling music, everything else comes after that.

Dec 12, 2007 at 10:45 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by N15M0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone? Any plugin like ASIO?

No.

Most plugins will only color sound - I'm not saying that you may not prefer it, but IMO most should be avoided, and those that come standard turned off.

Dec 12, 2007 at 12:08 PM Post #10 of 13
So that mean that I can straight away play from the foobar without and plugin? By the way I am using the Benchmark DAC1 but when I mess with the volume on the computer side, it affect the song volume as well. Should this be the case because I always thought that if you are bypassing he computer DAC, changing the volume at the computer would not affect the volume of the song which is played though the DAC. Thanks.
confused.gif

Dec 12, 2007 at 2:48 PM Post #11 of 13
Hi I have manage to get the ASIO to work but I have some problem here. I am using the ASIO4ALL driver, but wheneven I am playing songs, there are some irritatiog sound on the background. Why is it so?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back