Playing guitar through computer
Jan 30, 2014 at 1:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

srslee

New Head-Fier
Hello, I would like to play my electric guitar through my computer. I currently have the Little Dot MKIII amp and Little Dot DAC_1 that I use with my monitors. I want to be able to play through the computer, with winamp and other backgrounds running as well. I've looked into the Line 6 POD, but was wondering what the best way going about this would be. Thank you!

Feb 2, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #3 of 14
  Please respond

Any musical usb interface should do, what i would do is find a local music store and go ask them about usb interfaces and see what they recommend. you can probably audition it there as well, so you know what your getting before hand.

Feb 3, 2014 at 2:36 AM Post #4 of 14
  Any musical usb interface should do, what i would do is find a local music store and go ask them about usb interfaces and see what they recommend. you can probably audition it there as well, so you know what your getting before hand.

If I used a USB interface, would I still be able to use my current DAC/Amp? How would I connect the interface, such as the POD, to my current set up?

Feb 3, 2014 at 3:14 AM Post #5 of 14
  If I used a USB interface, would I still be able to use my current DAC/Amp? How would I connect the interface, such as the POD, to my current set up?

You can use your current audio system but can you use it simultaenously with guitar output depends on your hardware(/software.)

To play through PC, the POD is connected into line level input of your audio interface. I don't know those Dot products you have there but if there aren't suitable input/features you need for to get the signal go through your computer then you have to connect the guitar/POD through intergated sound card or get another audio interface.
You don't mention what all you want to do with that guitar-pc connection. Do you need that at all if you just want to play with music streamed from PC? Are you planning to use some virtual effects or make recordings etc.?

Feb 4, 2014 at 4:43 AM Post #6 of 14
  You can use your current audio system but can you use it simultaenously with guitar output depends on your hardware(/software.)

To play through PC, the POD is connected into line level input of your audio interface. I don't know those Dot products you have there but if there aren't suitable input/features you need for to get the signal go through your computer then you have to connect the guitar/POD through intergated sound card or get another audio interface.
You don't mention what all you want to do with that guitar-pc connection. Do you need that at all if you just want to play with music streamed from PC? Are you planning to use some virtual effects or make recordings etc.?

I would like to play music with music streamed from my PC and possibly record in the future. I currently have my DAC connected with my PC via toslink cable. The DAC also has a few other inputs--BNC, single RCA, and USB (B-Male).

Feb 4, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #7 of 14
Actually, the POD acts as an audio interface. You connect it to your PC via USB and you can choose it as audio output.
The more straightforward way to use it would be to connect your headphones to the POD's headphone output. Using your own DAC would be a bit more complicated but you could do it somehow connecting the POD's output to the RCA in on it. Another way would be to route the inputs via some DAW but that would introduce some latency.

Feb 4, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #8 of 14
Why not just use a DAW( like Reaper or Ableton Live) to play music on on track and use another track along with something like Amplitube or Native Instruments Guitar Rig?

Amplitube has a very good sounding free version that can be upgraded little by little if your needs/wants grow. 
Reaper is a very flexible/inexpensive DAW with a long free trial.

It would cost you nothing to try out Reaper with Amplitube free.

Feb 4, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #9 of 14
  Why not just use a DAW( like Reaper or Ableton Live) to play music on on track and use another track along with something like Amplitube or Native Instruments Guitar Rig?

Amplitube has a very good sounding free version that can be upgraded little by little if your needs/wants grow. 
Reaper is a very flexible/inexpensive DAW with a long free trial.

It would cost you nothing to try out Reaper with Amplitube free.

I would definitely be down to try that. My only question is how would I connect my guitar to the computer? By connecting it to the single RCA input on my DAC?

Feb 4, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #10 of 14
  I would definitely be down to try that. My only question is how would I connect my guitar to the computer? By connecting it to the single RCA input on my DAC?

I think that should work ok.You'll need an adaptor obviously.

I typically use my MOTU unit 1/4 inch or XLR but I just tried it out with my cheap Behringer interface (which has only RCA inputs) and it seems to work fine.

Maybe not the best preamp input but worth a shot....

Feb 4, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #11 of 14
The POD solution is also feasible.I've been a fan/advocate of LINE6 since their very first amp over 15 years ago.
It enabled me to do hundreds of things that would have been impossible on a working musician's budget.
It really blew people I knew away at the time.

I've never owned the POD but have used them in the studio a few times.
They've been popular for a long time for good reason. Real innovative product for flexibility in recording. 
Not the same as owning high-end tube gear and analog effects but damn useful indeed.

Their amps have always had good sounding lineouts too so I would check them out before you buy a POD.
Then you have an amp that you can use in any situation.

For computer only stuff I am a big fan of IK Multimedia's Amplitude.There are other good software solutions as well
(NI guitar rig for example) but I find Amplitude more convincing personally.Of course the fact that a basic version is free helps.
The free version includes a fender model and a marshall that are pretty good.There are also some basic stompboxes included too.

I immediately bought some Orange and Soldano models and it's pretty impressive IMO.

Reaper is a really innovative company as well and their DAW is cheaper than most others and is really solid.
It will allow you to record or import audio files(mp3 wav etc..) and then create another track for your guitar.
Of course then you can also record whatever you wish.

I'm not up on windows audio program inter-compatibility but on Mac you can use a free downloadable utility called Soundflower to port audio between applications like itunes(for example) and a DAW.

Feb 8, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #12 of 14
  The POD solution is also feasible.I've been a fan/advocate of LINE6 since their very first amp over 15 years ago.
It enabled me to do hundreds of things that would have been impossible on a working musician's budget.
It really blew people I knew away at the time.

I've never owned the POD but have used them in the studio a few times.
They've been popular for a long time for good reason. Real innovative product for flexibility in recording. 
Not the same as owning high-end tube gear and analog effects but damn useful indeed.

Their amps have always had good sounding lineouts too so I would check them out before you buy a POD.
Then you have an amp that you can use in any situation.

For computer only stuff I am a big fan of IK Multimedia's Amplitude.There are other good software solutions as well
(NI guitar rig for example) but I find Amplitude more convincing personally.Of course the fact that a basic version is free helps.
The free version includes a fender model and a marshall that are pretty good.There are also some basic stompboxes included too.

I immediately bought some Orange and Soldano models and it's pretty impressive IMO.

Reaper is a really innovative company as well and their DAW is cheaper than most others and is really solid.
It will allow you to record or import audio files(mp3 wav etc..) and then create another track for your guitar.
Of course then you can also record whatever you wish.

I'm not up on windows audio program inter-compatibility but on Mac you can use a free downloadable utility called Soundflower to port audio between applications like itunes(for example) and a DAW.

Thank you for your help and advice! I just installed Guitar Rig and received the adapter to plug in my guitar into the RCA input on my DAC. I haven't been able to make anything work running it on WASAPI mode, although the status says running. I'm not sure if I'm just unaware of how to properly use Guitar Rig, or my current set-up works. There are 4 inputs on my DAC, one of which is connected to my PC via Toslink and another which is the input that is connected to my guitar. There are also 2 XLR outputs on the back of the DAC, would those perhaps serve any purpose? 

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #13 of 14

Thank you for your help and advice! I just installed Guitar Rig and received the adapter to plug in my guitar into the RCA input on my DAC. I haven't been able to make anything work running it on WASAPI mode, although the status says running. I'm not sure if I'm just unaware of how to properly use Guitar Rig, or my current set-up works. There are 4 inputs on my DAC, one of which is connected to my PC via Toslink and another which is the input that is connected to my guitar. There are also 2 XLR outputs on the back of the DAC, would those perhaps serve any purpose? 

Look at the audio preferences to make sure you have the proper driver.I have no idea how much you know about these things.
I don't use windows these days and I don't use Guitar Rig or your DAC,  you're using you may need to: 

1. download ASIO driver(google download and install, and restart)

2 . Go to preferences and select asio in and out with your dac (it should be indicated in your preferences).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back