play video games for a living?
Jun 18, 2005 at 4:12 PM Post #16 of 25
You know, your son is probably pulling in a huge paycheck for this too!

A tester for the Sony Playstation 2 games made approximately 500,000 dollars a year, and that was a while ago too. Blizzard has a HUGE sales record and they are probably almost on par with sales of a normal game manufactured by Sony. And because of the reputation and the tallent that Blizzard is known for having, your son is not only very lucky, but also very likely going to be loaded
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

I am envious of your son, even if I haven't played a Blizzard game since Warcraft 2
tongue.gif

Jun 18, 2005 at 4:25 PM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
I am envious of your son, even if I haven't played a Blizzard game since Warcraft 2
tongue.gif

what a great game you named here

Jun 18, 2005 at 4:29 PM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
nah, they don't really have guys doing that... or do they? I can't imagine making alot of money doing that.

Yet, if he wants to go into developing and programming, testing can be
something he specializes in, and testing out certain modules might be something
as far as a job in the industry. Yet, at that level it's no longer exciting.

I think you're basically right about this. Right now he is working at an hourly rate which is OK for now (he is still in college), but not a career. What he'd really like to do is catch on to a salaried job with them as a technical writer. Still some fun, but not like playing Warcraft for eight hours straight!

Jun 18, 2005 at 5:08 PM Post #19 of 25
Damn, what a lucky kid!

Jun 18, 2005 at 5:47 PM Post #20 of 25
My brother gets paid to play in CS Source in CAL. He just got paid to fly to Texas for a LAN Competition (all expenses paid.) I don't get paid to play, but I admin a Call of Duty: United Offensive Server in LA, CA and will soon compete in TWL.

My name is Asterix and my favorite weapon is the German MP44.

Jun 18, 2005 at 8:03 PM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by daycart1
I think you're basically right about this. Right now he is working at an hourly rate which is OK for now (he is still in college), but not a career. What he'd really like to do is catch on to a salaried job with them as a technical writer. Still some fun, but not like playing Warcraft for eight hours straight!

I know someone who does technical writing for Intel. It seems that if you're the type of person who can do it and enjoys doing it, then it's really a very excellent job, with very good demand for your skills.

Testing videogames as a part-time job in college though, now that's an awesome college job!

Jun 19, 2005 at 4:48 AM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asterix
My brother gets paid to play in CS Source in CAL. He just got paid to fly to Texas for a LAN Competition (all expenses paid.) I don't get paid to play, but I admin a Call of Duty: United Offensive Server in LA, CA and will soon compete in TWL.

My name is Asterix and my favorite weapon is the German MP44.

Is he getting paid under a contract, etc.? Back when I was still playing in CAL, the Swedes were strong, since they literally lived off of playing CS. They were making a living off of competitive CS.

Jun 22, 2005 at 12:05 AM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by skitlets
Is he getting paid under a contract, etc.? Back when I was still playing in CAL, the Swedes were strong, since they literally lived off of playing CS. They were making a living off of competitive CS.

He says not anymore, he left the company and it was a breached contract.

Jun 22, 2005 at 12:20 AM Post #24 of 25
When I was younger, this would've been one of my top ten cool s**t, but nowadays I can't bare playing games all day for some reason. I remember wanting to be one of the egm reviewers or something, just seems nice to get paid to play and give your impressions. I haven't shelled more than $30 outta my own pocket for a game in the past few years, I go for mostly used and best old games, cause well, I'm a jobless son of a pikachu. Nonetheless, blizzard? They churn out hits like crazy, spending time with their stuff is definitely a good thing for an avid (pc) gamer. Your son has gotta be one happy person!

Jun 22, 2005 at 3:34 AM Post #25 of 25
He tests games for Blizzard? daycart, you probably don't know how respected Blizzard is. Sure, Starcraft has lowered my GPA in the past, but it is such a perfectly crafted game that I still play it on occasion, 5-6 years after it came out.

Please don't tell me he's testing a new Starcraft game or else I'm going to soil my pants.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back