Planning to get Denon D2000s, unamped?
Nov 24, 2008 at 4:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

ShootingStars

100+ Head-Fier
My sound sources will be RealTek HD sound card and/or Sony Walkman S639F. Lossless audio/maximum lossy bitrate music... o-o

Will I be okay unamped? I need some COMFORTABLE, cool looking headphones that are closed, and great unamped. I already looked at the AT-A700-900, HATE THE BLUE. Don't ask why. :l I need comfort as well for long listening time.

I listen to lots of JPOP ballads, I like vocals with tiny touch of more bass than neutral.

I like the colour of the ATH-A500 though. I can get those, but need opinions.

Nov 24, 2008 at 4:39 AM Post #2 of 26
They are very comfortable, and will be ok unamped. However amping really improves their sound.

Also, although they are closed they leak quite a bit of sound even at comfortable listening volumes. Not sure how important that is to you.

Nov 24, 2008 at 4:53 AM Post #3 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by vovamir /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are very comfortable, and will be ok unamped. However amping really improves their sound.

Also, although they are closed they leak quite a bit of sound even at comfortable listening volumes. Not sure how important that is to you.

Leaking is okay I guess, but is the isolation fine? And I am planning to get a Behringer HA400 Microamp with this (don't recommended me another amp. please). Can the amp drive this well?

Nov 24, 2008 at 5:10 AM Post #4 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShootingStars /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And I am planning to get a Behringer HA400 Microamp with this (don't recommended me another amp. please). Can the amp drive this well?

Why wouldn't you want other suggestions on amping? It seems like you're limiting your options in a rather foolish way, especially if you haven't heard the phones. On top of that, you're limiting responses and insight that you receive.

Also, doesn't really make sense to ask about synergy and then say that you aren't willing to consider alternatives. Why ask?

Nov 24, 2008 at 6:02 AM Post #5 of 26
You definitely need something to replace the realtek soundchip, the soundquality from those is awful. There are many budget oriented external soundcards out there, like the Asus Xonar U1 or the Creative X-Fi Xmod.

Nov 24, 2008 at 8:43 AM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why wouldn't you want other suggestions on amping? It seems like you're limiting your options in a rather foolish way, especially if you haven't heard the phones. On top of that, you're limiting responses and insight that you receive.

Also, doesn't really make sense to ask about synergy and then say that you aren't willing to consider alternatives. Why ask?

maybe he just wanted us to say whether it's good or bad.

Let's say "BAD" shall we? xD

j/k

Nov 24, 2008 at 8:48 AM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

My sound sources will be RealTek HD sound card and/or Sony Walkman S639F. Lossless audio/maximum lossy bitrate music... o-o

Will I be okay unamped? I need some COMFORTABLE, cool looking headphones that are closed, and great unamped. I already looked at the AT-A700-900, HATE THE BLUE. Don't ask why. :l I need comfort as well for long listening time.

I listen to lots of JPOP ballads, I like vocals with tiny touch of more bass than neutral.

I like the colour of the ATH-A500 though. I can get those, but need opinions.

What is your budget for buying comfort and good sound?

Nov 24, 2008 at 9:05 AM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Buranko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let's say "BAD" shall we? xD

j/k

hehheh
tongue.gif

Nov 24, 2008 at 9:10 AM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Leaking is okay I guess, but is the isolation fine? And I am planning to get a Behringer HA400 Microamp with this (don't recommended me another amp. please). Can the amp drive this well?

The D2000 doesn't isolate at all.
And they need a good amp.

Nov 24, 2008 at 3:57 PM Post #12 of 26
Not amping the d2000 probably won't make it suddenly sound worse than a lower quality unamped headphone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And they need a good amp.

The denons have lower than average isolation for this type of headphone but still isolate and prevent leakage more than open headphones like hd 650 or k701.

Nov 26, 2008 at 4:48 AM Post #13 of 26
I recommend the XMOD too.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaawa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You definitely need something to replace the realtek soundchip, the soundquality from those is awful. There are many budget oriented external soundcards out there, like the Asus Xonar U1 or the Creative X-Fi Xmod.

That is that 'all' say, but isn't the case.... They in reality have very good isolation (for being a semi-Closed headphone (Yes, they are semi-closed, not closed....)); just as good as a Beyerdynamic.... The only true is that they leak a lot of sound....
Quote:

Nov 26, 2008 at 2:42 PM Post #15 of 26
If you decide to look for an amp, look for something that has high output power at low impedance. Most portable amps will not make a significant difference. Don't get me wrong, the D2000s sound decent straight out of my MacBook/iPhone, but some of their potential is lost without an amp.

I know you said not to recommend any amps, but one cheap alternative is the Little Dot I+ hybrid. Of course its not portable so that has to be considered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back