Planning Setup
Apr 25, 2011 at 11:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

tokendog

100+ Head-Fier
I am new to Head-Fi, but I have found myself using it more and more for my research.   I am currently running a Win 7 machine with a Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic card.  I have read that this isn't a real X-FI chipset but a rebranded one?

Any ways,  I have been doing a lot of research and trying to plan out my audio setup for the PC.  I use the computer primarily for gaming->movies->music (in that order).  I am currently using a set of Dr. Dre Beats (got them for free) and want to get rid of them and use something better.  I'm wanting to get in to the real world of SQ.

I am thinking I should go with either a Creative Labs Titanium HD or a Auzentech Bravura / Forte since I game a lot but I still want my movies / music to sound great.

As far as headphones go, I am eyeing the AD700 due to their soundstage and directional capabilities, along with either a K701 or D770/80 for movies / music.  

It is very important to me for the SQ to be there along with bass (which the AD700 seem to lack).  I like being able to modify my setup as I do not like being restricted by a purchase.  I would prefer to purchase one thing to do as many things as possible rather than multiple things that I have to switch out all of the time (such as four different pairs of headphones for specific purposes).

I am not against using an external AMP / DAC to drive the head phones, but have had trouble narrowing the search down to which ones would do the best job for what I want.  I have been eyeing the e9 or the mixamp, but hear the mixamp is weak as an amp.

There are a lot of options, which is great, but I just want to get the opinion of head-fi before I commit to a purchase.  In the end I know it will all depend on my own ears but appreciate any help you can give me.

PS:  I do own a XBOX 360 and would like the option of using the headphones for that, but the primary purpose is PC gaming.

Thanks!

Apr 25, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #2 of 2
I use:
TubeMagic D1 DAC/Amp
Turtle Beach Ear Force DSS (PS3 -> Optical -> DSS -> RCA-In on TubeMagic D1 -> Headphones)
Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro

Don't feel like typing much, so I'll let you look them up! But I basically have the same needs/preferences as you, and found these to be the best choices for my budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back