Planetside 2 Thread
Nov 30, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #16 of 31
Just played again tonight, got deep into some heavy fighting.

The Q6600 at 3 GHz can't even maintain 20 FPS in the busiest of firefights. Unacceptable. 30 FPS is already borderline unbearable, but 15-18 FPS on near-minimum graphics settings? That just won't do at all.

Haswell can't come soon enough, especially if it's the big performance jump out of Ivy Bridge that I'd expect of an Intel "tock" (new CPU architecture).

Meanwhile, one of my outfit mates with a recent i5 (didn't catch if it was Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge) at 6.3 GHz or so (water-cooled) says he gets 130 FPS on average. Seems a bit hard to believe for a game like this, but if it's true, maybe CPUs haven't been advancing quite as slowly over the past five years as I thought.

Nov 30, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #17 of 31

that's at max graphics setting at 1920x1080.  i realize it's not a very graphically-intense scene but i just haven't played it enough to get into that yet.  if the beta is any indication it should drop down to high 40's in the worst of situations.  high 40's is unplayable to me so i lowered the settings a bit.  i5-2500K at a modest 4.4 GHz and 7970 at a modest 1050/1525.  hard to see in the uploaded screen but it's at 84.8 fps.

edit: this isn't nerd-bragging, just giving you an idea of how the 2500K performs

Nov 30, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #18 of 31
I run Planetside2 completely maxed out at 1920x1080, high 40s is indeed the lowest it will sink for me. The built-in fps counter (ALT+F) shows if your bottleneck is CPU or GPU, and mine seems to switch around a lot between GPU and CPU as the bottleneck.

CPU: Core i7 920 at 3.2 GHz
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 670 OC

Dec 3, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #19 of 31
Either your friend is lying or your numbers are flipped (maybe its 3.6Ghz?) but 6.3 is unachievable under water. 5.2 would be max MAYBE if he has THE golden CPU

Anyway I doubt very much he gets 130FPS unless he's on Low

Quote:
Just played again tonight, got deep into some heavy fighting.

The Q6600 at 3 GHz can't even maintain 20 FPS in the busiest of firefights. Unacceptable. 30 FPS is already borderline unbearable, but 15-18 FPS on near-minimum graphics settings? That just won't do at all.

Haswell can't come soon enough, especially if it's the big performance jump out of Ivy Bridge that I'd expect of an Intel "tock" (new CPU architecture).

Meanwhile, one of my outfit mates with a recent i5 (didn't catch if it was Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge) at 6.3 GHz or so (water-cooled) says he gets 130 FPS on average. Seems a bit hard to believe for a game like this, but if it's true, maybe CPUs haven't been advancing quite as slowly over the past five years as I thought.

Dec 3, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #20 of 31
Have been playing it for quite a few hours over the last couple of days since I got my new video card. I joined an outfit and ran with a couple of their platoons. So much fun!

Dec 3, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #21 of 31
Quote:
Either your friend is lying or your numbers are flipped (maybe its 3.6Ghz?) but 6.3 is unachievable under water. 5.2 would be max MAYBE if he has THE golden CPU

Anyway I doubt very much he gets 130FPS unless he's on Low

Did I forget to tell you that I took those numbers with a mountain of salt?

I don't really believe anyone's performance claims until I see it performing like that with my own two eyes.

6.3 GHz might actually be achievable, but if water-cooling won't do it, what about phase-change or TEC/Peltier junction setups, something that can cool it below ambient temperatures (and even freezing!) while being more practical for real-world use than liquid nitrogen?

Anyway, I made a few tweaks that should hopefully boost performance a bit, but I won't know for sure 'til I get into a dense firefight again.

Dec 3, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #22 of 31
5GHz is the highest I've heard an i5 go on water. Maybe w/ a nitro setup or something, but most people certainly wouldn't take it that far unless there's some sort of real world challenge going on (professional overclocking event etc...)

Dec 4, 2012 at 4:12 AM Post #23 of 31
Wow. I just ran my first platoon for the last 4-5 hours straight. Commanding 48 people, guiding them into battle, is so much fun. Especially if the synergy is good and the (voice) chat is pleasant.

Seriously, if you haven't joined an outfit yet, go find a big one and join it. Then run with their platoons. It makes the game so much more enjoyable.

Dec 4, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #24 of 31
Quote:
Wow. I just ran my first platoon for the last 4-5 hours straight. Commanding 48 people, guiding them into battle, is so much fun. Especially if the synergy is good and the (voice) chat is pleasant.
Seriously, if you haven't joined an outfit yet, go find a big one and join it. Then run with their platoons. It makes the game so much more enjoyable.

That's exactly what I was doing...well, not so much leading the platoon as much as running with them. Currently working on being an effective combatant on foot, in armor, and in aircraft all alike before I add the burden of command on my mind during a firefight.

We only had around 16 to 20 people at the most, but we were rolling DEEP north into Indar, tearing it up with our armor formations. Pissed off the TR so much that we drew most of their attention and held them off for a while before being outnumbered, then moved to Esamir and helped establish NC dominance there.

As I've said before, PlanetSide is a game that shines when you run with an organized group of players, and the successor is no different. I may have not been able to get in touch with my old outfit friends, but at least I've found a new home in Sunder.

Dec 8, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #25 of 31
It's double xp weekend by the way so get in the game to farm some weapons!

Dec 9, 2012 at 8:40 AM Post #27 of 31
Yeah the grind is pretty bad, but I guess the money has to come from somewhere in an F2P model :). Still, I almost have enough to buy the 1000 credit rocket pods for my scythe to finally rain down some doom on my enemies.

Dec 11, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #28 of 31
So I recently built a new pc for gaming and started a playing planetside 2 for about a week now...  Sniping is freaking amazing :D
I loved sniping in  BF3 which I used to play on ps3 and loved sniping there, but this just takes it to another level... I''ve always wondered how people got those montage clips, but damn had some of those moments myself...

PS has anyone ever created/or is interested in creating a head fi platoon?

Dec 11, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #29 of 31
Quote:
So I recently built a new pc for gaming and started a playing planetside 2 for about a week now...  Sniping is freaking amazing :D
I loved sniping in  BF3 which I used to play on ps3 and loved sniping there, but this just takes it to another level... I''ve always wondered how people got those montage clips, but damn had some of those moments myself...

PS has anyone ever created/or is interested in creating a head fi platoon?

you're experiencing the power of the mouse/keyboard! keep enjoying 
biggrin.gif

Mar 24, 2014 at 5:33 AM Post #30 of 31

that's at max graphics setting at 1920x1080.  i realize it's not a very graphically-intense scene but i just haven't played it enough to get into that yet.  if the beta is any indication it should drop down to high 40's in the worst of situations.  high 40's is unplayable to me so i lowered the settings a bit.  i5-2500K at a modest 4.4 GHz and 7970 at a modest 1050/1525.  hard to see in the uploaded screen but it's at 84.8 fps.

edit: this isn't nerd-bragging, just giving you an idea of how the 2500K performs

The game looks gorgeous...

But in huge battles, my PFS still drops like crazy sometimes even below 10.

Does my PC suck or is there a fix for the framedrop?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back