planars vs dynamic headphones....pros/cons to each?
Jul 10, 2017 at 10:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

canali

Headphoneus Supremus
hi everyone...i have a friend who recently switched from grado gs1000e to the hifiman 1000...
now he feels that planars sound 'more real' and are superior to dynamic drivers.....
i did counter to him: if so superior then why didn't focal make the utopias with planars?
hoping to better assess the pros/cons of each.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #2 of 5
planar magnetics usually have the edge in low distortion (especially in bass), bass extension (especially in open designs), and transient response.

conventional electrodynamics usually have the edge in clarity, lack of compression, and macrodynamics.

Jul 10, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #3 of 5
hi everyone...i have a friend who recently switched from grado gs1000e to the hifiman 1000...
now he feels that planars sound 'more real' and are superior to dynamic drivers.....

Most (newer) planars are flatter if not close to being totally flat from 1000hz down to 10hz (ex HE400i, HE560) or otherwise have smoother curves with no peaks (pre-Fazor LCD-2 - barring a 10hz to 1000hz plateau is otherwise very smooth on either side of 1000hz), so at the very least he's not dealing with the peakiness of dynamic drivers specifically those in Grados.

i did counter to him: if so superior then why didn't focal make the utopias with planars?

If electric motors are so superior that 4DR Teslas can outrun Lamborghinis in a straight line (when the road gets curvy of course the low slung Lambo is more agile) then why didn't Ferrari make the GTC4 Lusso with the dual electric drive of the Tesla Model S?

If the relatively square (or before that, over-square) quincevalvole V12 of Ferrari is so superior then why the hell does Chevrolet keep on stuffing the Corvette with a central cam, 2vavles/cyl undersquare/long stroke V8?

If the central cam, 6.0L long stroke small block Chevy is so superior then why did Lotus use a 24-valve Camry 3.5L V6 and why did Honda develop a new 24valve 3.5L V6 for the NSX?

If the 3.5L 24 valve Japanese V6 is so superior then why does Mazda keep improving the Wankel engine?

If the Wankel engine is so superior then why does Ducati even bother with V-Twins where now they gained high rpm power at the cost of front-wheel popping midrange torque?

I could go on an on, but the point here is that each manufacturer has their own reasons for going with a different design. Tesla splits the luggage compartment and you have to drive around areas that have the Supercharger Stations to use one (ie, California), two things Ferrari doesn't want to do; Chevy wants to be able to keep costs down by sharing the block casting facilities for their truck engines; Lotus wants to save money and slapped on a supercharger and new cams and forged internals into Toyota engines, plus a transverse mount keeps the wheelbase short (and they stuffed two rear seats in case you want to bring along a large dog); Honda wants to keep the link to the original NSX, even though they use a longitudinal mount instead of adapting the Accord front end; Mazda wants low center of gravity (and a high rpm wail that beats Honda in sounding like a Ferrari); and Ducati used to want midrange torque, now they just want to keep the bikes slim (and probably because Norton didn't really get anywhere with a Wankel bike).

Similar things in audio. Grado didn't even change the chassis design in decades (hell, even the addition of the large GS/PS pads wasn't much of a change since they fit in any headphone, it's just a matter of what the sound is like), since it will require an investment, can disrupt production processes, isolate existing products for support parts, etc. Plus what Grado needs is high sensitivity to get that "dynamic sound" (which is just being able to play loud without getting a lot of distortion - ex drive an HD650 with a Violectric or Meier and it will sound like an RS2) and they already have the basics down for that design. Focal has more experience with dynamic drivers, so some of the design data they have went into their initial headphone designs and what they learned there went into the Elear and Utopia. HiFiMan started out with planars so that's what they use for their flagship, even though they did dynamic driver circumaurals at some point (HE300 and HE350), but obviously that didn't work out quite as well (peaky treble, lower sensitivity than HD600/650, etc). And hell the first planars didn't exactly have the same objectively superior response as the HE400i.

In other words - these are partly business decisions and partly engineering decisions.

Jul 10, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #4 of 5
I haven't exactly heard dozens of headphones, but my ZMF Ori/Omni (planar, an extensive mod of the Fostex T50RP) proved to be a revelation in bass, upper bass, and midrange. A little hard to describe: It has a quality of quiet, calmness, but gets up to speed ultra-quickly and hits like a hammer. The timbre/tonality of bass instruments really come through, which is not always the case in bassy dynamic designs. I think part of the reason for this distinctive/excellent sound must be low distortion. I can get used to less distortion! And despite the more closed than open design, the Ori has rather amazing soundstaging, particularly in the mids--very spacious, lots of room between the notes/instruments. A lovely sound.

And thanks to a generous Head-Fi pal who lives in a nearby town, I've been able to listen to the new top-dog dynamic design by ZMF, the Eikon. That one is truly special--it doesn't sound all that much like Ori (apart from a "house sound" in the tuning/voicing, which de-emphasizes brightness & razor-sharp transients in favor of rich tonality); then again, it really doesn't sound like any dynamic I've heard. The Eikon does "technicalities," near-perfectly. All frequency ranges are present & accounted for--and IMO, it has a truly great midrange with a LOT of sonic information, but zero fatigue.

These 2 highly evolved designs prove to me that neither planar nor dynamic are inherently superior to the other. It's all about how the driver is voiced and incorporated in the physical structure of the headphone.

Sep 5, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #5 of 5
I agree that there are many reasons why companies make their decisions. And many why we choose our faves, as well. Musical taste, equipment, budget and sound signature preferences are components that end up making a whole that we choose or dismiss. I have always had dynamic headphones and have enjoyed them all in the past. But with my setup I finally got some Hifiman HE-400i planar headphones. For my total listening experience I am far happier and enjoy the Hifiman to anything I own and don't really know how I could hope to improve it in any significant way. (But I am sure that I will try):)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back